• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 175 VLD or SMK 175???

Waco

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
western Oregon
OK guys. For 700 yards and beyond, which bullet do you shoot, and why?
Berger 175 VLD or SMK 175 (.308)
I was just wondering if there was a particular edge to one vs. the other.
I think the VLD has a slightly higher bc if memory serves.
It just seems I see more people here talk about the MK bulletes.
Waco

Berger all the way. 175 match vld. I chronographed NOS, SMK, and Berger. All pretty much same approx. 25 fps.
At 600yd. Bergers will print about 6" higher than others and at 800 the Bergers printed about 12" higher than others.

Bergers very consistent and very accurate.

Edited: rifle barrel is Krieger heavy varmit and has 1:11 twist, 26" long, and shot suppressed.

Last edited:
Now here's an argument that is VERY near and dear to me. I've been struggling with this question for over a year now.

I've had unparalleled good luck with my 175gr VLD match out to 300 yards (sub 1/2 MOA), but the groups tend to open up disproportionately after that. I've struggled to find a good 175gr SMK load that my rifle shoots as consistently as the VLD's <300 yards. BUT, the groups using SMK's show spread that is consistent with my shorter range targets. This is frustrating as hell!!!

Berger is now offering a 175 long range profile that seems to be the happy medium between the two. The profile is much more similar to an SMK and they seem to shoot more consistently across the board than the VLD match bullets. The biggest problem with Berger bullets is finding them in stock. IMO you're better off developing a working load with the SMK than trying to source out VLD from Mars or wherever the hell they're produced. :D

My rifle is a 20" 5R if that helps. Good luck with your decision!