• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Berger 175gr OTM Tactical .308 ???

sigma2chi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Grovetown, GA
Just bought quite a few of these and cant find any data.

I'm running Lapua Brass and will be seating at OAL 2.80" using H4895 powder.

Need to know what is my max charge WITHOUT compressing any powder????

any help is GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks,
Shawn

Quickload says you are getting near 60,000psi w/ 43.0grs of H4895 at that OAL and bullet combo. This is assuming a SAAMI spec chamber, case H20 capacity of 56.0grs, and 70* F temp. It will also have a fill % of 98.0% so you will not compress much powder. Its also projecting 2700fps at ~24" of barrel.

Good luck!

I haven't seen H4895 or basically any other useful powder in a coon's age. Fortunately I scored a bit of Varget recently. I loaded 44.6 Varget into a Lapua case and seated the OTM at 2.9 COAL. 2668 fps and a 0.7 MOA group for the OCW run. Good boolits that will shine beyond 7-800 yards I think.

Good Luck,

Thanks guys.

I read in the one book I do have which is the Lee reloading manual that 42.7 was MAX for H4895 and a 175gr (SMK) so I assumed that was a compressed load and all it would hold. That had me a little worried cause I was planning on running 42.7 at a minimum...

I don't have the Lee book, but every other book i have notes whenever a charge is compressed.
To check, you can feel the powder compressing under the press or pull a bullet and see if the powder is compressed by looking at it or shaking it out.
With many powders, you will often get to max charge before compressing the powder, especially faster powders.

I believe virgin lapua is closer to 54 grains h2o fwiw..... Just incase your shooting new brass