• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Berger 185gr Juggernaut testing

jdboy

Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
TN
I picked some of the Juggernauts up for load testing out of my DTA SRS. Although not as accurate as the 175gr VLD Hunters out of my rifle so far these aren't horrible and maybe with a little seating adjustment may actually work. The testing was done at 119 yards, with Varget powder, Federal case, CCI200 primers, and the bullets set to 2.850". All loads were shot from prone with a bipod and rear squeeze bag. I loaded from minimum to maximum (for my rifle) and picked a load that looked the most consistent. Then I took that load and done a +/- .2gr loading. From here I'll pick a load, probably the -.2gr load, and work on seating depth. I'll update with new pick and thoughts later. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

2rppwxy.jpg

Primer cratering is very normal for my rifle as it will show even with the lightest loads. Also the circular marks on the case heads are from the primer pocket uniformer.
20zwh2v.jpg

2ih2iv5.jpg

vfh2u1.jpg

24axyqh.jpg

Last edited:
Try less neck tension and soft seating them. Varget is a little one the fast side for 185's. Federal cases are very very soft so they don't last very long.

My rifle likes this bullet best of all but we went through a fairly long stretch when they could not be found so I stocked up on 175 SMKs which shoot very well also. I seated almost the same and used BR2 primers but the biggest improvement I found was going to Lapua brass instead of FGMM. Tightened my groups up by half. Varget powder for .308 is my go to powder.

Lapua brass, full length sized, primer pockets cleaned up, I shoot 43.4 to 43.9 of Varget in four different bolt guns. .015" off the lands. Shoots lights out at 200 yards. I use these loads in F/TR. In my F gun they run 2750 fps. Just work your load up.

Last edited:
Varget is definitely too fast for 185's. Send me your Varget. I promise to not shoot 185's with it. Seriously, I won't shoot 185's.

Lapua brass, full length sized, primer pockets cleaned up, I shoot 43.4 to 43.9 of Varget in four different bolt guns. .015" off the lands. Shoots lights out at 200 yards. I use these loads in F/TR. In my F gun they run 2750 fps. Just work your load up.

I'm really trying to stay to magazine length but I'm going to test from jam back to my starting OAL. Magazine length will give me .080" off the lands. If I find I need to run them longer I'll just single feed them and use the 175 VLDs for the magazine.

Varget is definitely too fast for 185's. Send me your Varget. I promise to not shoot 185's with it. Seriously, I won't shoot 185's.

Yeah I'm working on rounding up a couple pounds of different powders to try but things are still hard to find around here.

I'm thinking of doing my seating depth test at 250 yards. What's the thoughts on this, push the distance back to 250 yards or stay where I am on distance to finish the test?

48.2 gr of rl17 2.88 oal gets me 2715 in a 22" barrel one of my most accurate loads

I'll have to keep an eye out for some R17 to try, that's very good velocity out of a 22" barrel. I have also been told to try VV N540 with the 185's but I haven't had any luck finding any. I keep an eye out on the Widener's wedsite for powder as they're semi-local for me and I can pick it up in person to avoid the extra shipping/hazmat charges.

Very nice shooting! I gotten a few 3 shot groups down like that but never 5 out of this rifle.