• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 223 77 OTM Extreme Spread

rcaples

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2022
Texas
Good morning,

Yesterday was shooting a match with my 26” 223 PRS trainer with factory Berger 77 otm. This barrel has just over 400 rds on it. After break-in this barrel has been consistently at 2850 fps with this ammo. My largest extreme spread has never been over 40fps. Using a magneto v3 chronograph not attached to the barrel. Yesterday I had .5mil variation on targets. I would consistently either below or over target, trying to adjust hold on impacts that were dialed using applied ballistics kestrel. So after match I went to see what my velocities were. Here is the chrono after the match. Anyone else seen this much variation in Berger match ammo?
038DBCB9-BB00-49ED-9718-3B40BF795004.jpeg

This was with Factory Berger 73gr ammo in my
223. Brand new barrel. It's 80fps than the listed speed on the box in a 22" barrel. ES was 30fps over just 7 rounds.

Not great. But good enough for factory ammo I guess.
EEB26691-BA87-445C-917F-FDA4DEC2D6F6.jpeg

Reactions: rcaples
Good morning,

Yesterday was shooting a match with my 26” 223 PRS trainer with factory Berger 77 otm. This barrel has just over 400 rds on it. After break-in this barrel has been consistently at 2850 fps with this ammo. My largest extreme spread has never been over 40fps. Using a magneto v3 chronograph not attached to the barrel. Yesterday I had .5mil variation on targets. I would consistently either below or over target, trying to adjust hold on impacts that were dialed using applied ballistics kestrel. So after match I went to see what my velocities were. Here is the chrono after the match. Anyone else seen this much variation in Berger match ammo? View attachment 8024226
Clean it recently? If not see if that brings you back in line. Dragging over cooked on carbon or copper won’t do your numbers any favors.

Clean it recently? If not see if that brings you back in line. Dragging over cooked on carbon or copper won’t do your numbers any favors.
I clean after every match, should have put that in original post. Also bore scopes it yesterday and nothing notable, no carbon ring and only had 100 rounds since last cleaning on it.

Reactions: spife7980
Berger had a recall on this ammunition, but it was not your lot#. Your lot looks a lot older.

There are alot of reports of berger .223 ammo not shooting well. For $1.rd or more you are better off finding some black hills IMO, or just reload yourself. I am half way through a case of BH blue box for my .223 trainer barrel and its good out to about 7-800 with the 69gr smk.

Berger had a recall on this ammunition, but it was not your lot#. Your lot looks a lot older.

That's why I was asking. I sent them back 17 boxes I think, of 2 lots that I had of it. It shot fantastic in my bolt gun but definitely should not shoot it in an AR. (Those lots that were recalled I mean, not op's)