• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 230 grain 30 cal?

3me

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
KC
www.3me.us
Anyone tried these heavy monsters on a .308? Is is possible to stabilize them with 10:1 or the R5? Seems like an awfully big bullet, but might work well suppressed? I have not found any loading data on it. I suspect that bullet is designed for the .300 RUM and so on, but is it even possible to use it with a .308?

Re: Berger 230 grain 30 cal?

not exactly what you are looking for but close,

The first reply has another link in it that takes you to some info that could be helpful

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...018#Post3115018

And i tried the 225 hornady BTHP in a .308 as well, my buddies R700 SPR, and they did not stabilize at all, not sure what his twist was but, they were going through the paper half side ways at 100 yrds

I have been working up a load of the 230gr target hybrids in my 300 RUM, i have a powder charge, but need to work on seating depth to find a sweet spot. If i can get the groups tighter i will be pleased....if not i will try the 225 BTPHs in it and so on until i find a big bullet that performs well.

I don't get to shoot to much so it takes me a while to work out a good load changing various parameters.

P.S. if you try the big 230's in your 308 just be careful, If you can't seat them just off the lands and out far enough that little to none of the base of the bullet is in past the shoulder i would be hesitant to go forward with it. JMO