• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 230 OTM tactical

Brasscow

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Iowa
    Can anyone with a box of 230 tactical OTMs give me their best shot at taking a couple of dimensions for me?

Overall length of the bullet itself.
    Base of bullet to point in ogive that is .300" diameter (or just from base to hornady comparator)
    Length of bullet boat tail

I'm going to have an AI AX chambered in 30-338 lapua (300 lapua, 300/338 lapua, whatever)

I have a box of 220 scenar Ls being delivered but would like the future option of running 230 OTMs when they come back in stock. I want to keep them both under 3.8" OAL so I can feed from magazine but would like to be able to load both so that the bearing surface is above the neck/shoulder junction of the case and so that I can load either to touch the lands while staying under 3.8. May have to have a reamer made, may be able to find one that will work.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but your measurements will help me. If anyone has 3 or 4 230 tactical OTMs they don't mind parting with it would help me out... willing to pay obviously :).

Thanks!

Average length 1.615 inches. .902 to ogive.
    As far as coal , you can jump the OTM a pretty good bit. Whereas the 230 hybrid is much pickier about seating depth. Good luck AS

Average length 1.615 inches. .902 to ogive.
    As far as coal , you can jump the OTM a pretty good bit. Whereas the 230 hybrid is much pickier about seating depth. Good luck AS

Excellent info, thank you! Can you give me a roughie on the length of the boat tail? (Trailing end of bearing surface to base of bullet)

1.380" average

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I think we mis communicated. In this drawing I need to know the C measurement. Thanks man!

That or if your measurement was the meplat to the beginning of the boat tail, then I can work with 1.38". Giving .235" boat tail.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I think we mis communicated. In this drawing I need to know the C measurement. Thanks man!

That or if your measurement was the meplat to the beginning of the boat tail, then I can work with 1.38". Giving .235" boat tail.

It was from the metplat to the boat tail. Basically I just stuck the base of the bullet into the comparator and had the metlat touching the caliper

null_zpsd54e6d89.jpg

Not a problem. Good luck!! And like I said before , there's no reason to jam these. They shoot better jumping. At least in my rifle.

Thanks, and I figured as much. No intention to jam, just don't want an inch of free bore.

If you need ones I am more than willing to send you a bullet I have several hundred of them. Just PM me. These are great bullets. I'm getting A$$ Kicking results with them. Shoot them quite a bit out to 1,800 yards!

They are pretty awesome bullets. The ballistics out to a mile + cant really be beat with any other combination or powder/bullet. The 208 is close if you push it another 100-150 fps but still not the same for drift and energy. GO BERGER!...just not the vld....i had those

What kind of velocities are you fellas getting out of a 300 WM?

I am considering either selling a LA (1086) rifle in 284 win or buy a new bolt and barrel to shoot it in 300 WM.

Respectable indeed.

Thats's 7.5 mils at 1000/ 19.5 mils at a mile at my DA.

What barrel length? I would probably stay between 26"-28"

You got me thinking Graham.

I've got them pushing right at 3,000 in a 30" Broughton 5c. Better than the .338 lapua for what I'm doing