• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 300 OTM and the Transonic Range

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Does anyone here have any experience shooting the new Berger .30 cal 300 grain OTM hybrids into the transonic and subsonic range? I At my elevation a 300 grain .338 lapua round doing 2700fps should go transonic at under 2000 yards...However, I've got an unlimited range to work with out here in the desert, so while I am doing my loan development I figured I'd see if there are any bullets out there that can handle the transition and not veer off course and or start key holing. The new Berger promises this, at least on Midwayusa's product description. Anyone have any luck with these bullets?

Out of a 26-inch 1-10 twist barrel at around 2850 fps I've shot Sierra, Berger, and Lapua 300-grain bullets to 2,000 Meters (55 degrees Fahrenheit, 4,500 feet above sea level). Targets are military E-type silhouettes. Scopes were a Schmidt-Bender 5.5-25 PM II and a Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS.

Sierras seem to fly well to 1800 Meters; Bergers to 1900; Lapuas to 2,000. This is just one experience using two rifles. You may get difference results with a faster twist barrel.

You mean .338 / 300 gr OTM's correct? not .30 cal , I believe that is a type o. I have shot these bullets transonic in many 338 Edge, 338 lapua and 338 Lapua AI's. Plus my new LRKM in .338 Terminator +P with a MV of 3200. They go transonic just past 2500 yards in the LRKM / Terminator. I have taken them to 2971 yards and was holding about 1 moa in perfect conditions. They have proven to me to me the best choice when going subsonic. I use 1 in 10 twists only and most shooting is done between 3000 and 6000 feet asl.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hrmm so Sinister you are getting the OTMs to 1900 before they become innacurate, and Broz are you getting them to nearly 3000 yards? You guys appear to be shooting at similar elevations, and both of your barrels have 1 in 10 twist. Why would the Bergers fly accurately for one shooter and now the other?

I'm planning on shooting these out of a .338 lapua with 26" bart barrel with a 1:9.3 twist. I'm just wondering what goes into the magic of making these bullets fly to subsonic in a stable and accurate fashion, especially since they are about 15% more expensive and I'm going to be buying in bulk.

Broz, have you tried shooting the SMKs past the transonic range? Did they work for you, or like most report, fly off course?

(PS Yes I meant .338. I tried editing my post but for some reason my computer isn't letting me.)

I was with Shawn Carlock a few years ago and we took the 300 OTM Bergers transonic. He was shooting an EDGE and I was shooting a 338 LM. Both were holding 1 moa transonic. Back then I did test the SMK's against the OTM's subsonic from the 338 LM. I really liked the SMK but they went goofy as they past through the transition. The OTM's flat spanked them at extreme long range.

Shooting the .338 Termonator +P I have taken the OTM's subsonic many time with good results. Sometime so good I will not even talk about it. I go subsonic just past 2500 yards.

Jeff

TwoNiner Hrmm so Sinister you are getting the OTMs to 1900 before they become innacurate, and Broz are you getting them to nearly 3000 yards? You guys appear to be shooting at similar elevations, and both of your barrels have 1 in 10 twist. Why would the Bergers fly accurately for one shooter and now the other?

The reason why broz mv is 350 fps faster

I can't speak to the Berger 300 gr. OTMs as yet (I've not run out of my Lapua 300 gr.) For me the Lapua's seem to transition pretty well. Prior to the 300 Scenar, I shot 300 smks from my 338LM Improved. They were good at 1,800 yards and in, decent at 1,900 yards and down hill fast from there. The Lapua Scenars I've run to 2,100 yards so far without a significant drop-off in accuracy. They are running at roughly the same velocity that the smks were running (2,950+/-) I shoot at a range sitting at roughly 2,900 ft elevation, but have shot with DAs down to 1,600 on the range so far.

JeffVN

Does anyone else have any experience with the Berger OTM hybrids? Also are you having to run C.I.P. mags to get the rounds to fit? I understand these bullets are pretty long. I just got a box and they measure 1.813-1.817". I've been doing some research and Brian Litz says to start jumping them 15 thousandths and then out to 30/45/60 depending on accuracy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RpQtyI_p4

Last edited:
Does anyone else have any experience with the Berger OTM hybrids? Also are you having to run C.I.P. mags to get the rounds to fit? I understand these bullets are pretty long. I just got a box and they measure 1.813-1.817". I've been doing some research and Brian Litz says to start jumping them 15 thousandths and then out to 30/45/60 depending on accuracy:

I run mine .010" off the lands, they seemed to group good so I stuck with it. They are a little longer than the mag, I modified my magazine to accept my longer bullets but I just single load anyways. But still have the option to load from the mag if I want.