• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Berger 300wm ammo?

clark33

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2019
Does anyone have any experience with the Berger 300wm 215gr ammo in a factory rifle? I'm looking to pick up a .30 cal and would rather not reload. Was curious if anyone had any range experience with this stuff? Good, bad the ugly?

I bought a 100 rounds of it. So far it has been excellent out of my 300 wm. It is not a factory rifle but accuracy has been great and velocity has been consistent. My rifle with a 26 inch barrel is running 2890 FPS. Groups have been .5-.75 out to 500 yards. Farthest I have shot it so far. The overall length is 3.600 and still fits in a bdl style mag. Also if you are not going to reload, you can sell the Norma brass as once fired.
363AC281-DB7E-4F3E-88C9-86D265B9B4B7.png

Reactions: DIBBS and clark33
No problem, if you watch midway and bullet central they have sales on the ammo and you can get it for around 42 bucks a box. Think it’s normal 49.99 a box.

Reactions: clark33
Wow this round looks like it absolutely hammers down range when plugged into my ballistic calculator. Are the 215 hybrids suitable for big game hunting or strictly for target use?

Wow this round looks like it absolutely hammers down range when plugged into my ballistic calculator. Are the 215 hybrids suitable for big game hunting or strictly for target use?

There is a LONG thread on one of the long range hunting forums with Broz, and many one shot kills with the 215 Hybrid on big game at distance with proper shot placement.. I have some for handloading, but still using the 210 VLD's I started with. Here is a link to one of the threads... handloads but using the 215

Thanks for posting the link DIBBS. I’ll have to dig through that 35 page thread this evening, but after skimming through a few posts this round may be worth a try!

300 win mag, 215 Berger and h1000 is a hell of a match. As soon as I burn up my ammo I will try and duplicate the load.
I have pulled one of the bullets to see what powder they were using. I expected h1000 but it is a ball powder that looks a lot like Ramshot mag.

I've had similar results to Mooseknuckles shooting the factory 215gr Hybrid OTM's out of my AXMC 26" barrel. I can shoot steel out to 1400 yards at my local range and they have worked out well.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
300 win mag, 215 Berger and h1000 is a hell of a match. As soon as I burn up my ammo I will try and duplicate the load.
I have pulled one of the bullets to see what powder they were using. I expected h1000 but it is a ball powder that looks a lot like Ramshot mag.
Vihtavuori powder is under Berger/Lapua ownership. I would assume it’s one of there own powders

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Ahhh I did not know that. Does Vihtavuori have a ball powder that is rated for magnums? I have never used there powder. When I pulled down the one cartridge I got 77.8 grains.
Vihtavuori powder is under Berger/Lapua ownership. I would assume it’s one of there own powders

Ahhh I did not know that. Does Vihtavuori have a ball powder that is rated for magnums? I have never used there powder. When I pulled down the one cartridge I got 77.8 grains.
I’m not sure. I haven’t messed with any of their powders either. Haven’t found a reason to move away from the tried and true Hodgdon

Comes out of my 26" mpa at 2925 with 0 pressure signs. It absolutely hammers. At sea level I think I'm using 6.9 mils to 1000. Sds have been single digits Only challenge is the price.

Attachments

• 20200126_111041.jpg
    20200126_111041.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 29
Quick update on the berger.... This is a recovered round from a 200# hog at 400yds and an impact velocity of around 2400.
20200510_131111.jpg
20200510_131118.jpg
Recovered weight was only 77gr. The results on the hog were equally dramatic and instant.

Reactions: clark33
The Berger 300wm ammo showed up yesterday along with my ARC M10 rings, the Seekins PH2 300wm should hopefully show up at the FFL this week. I'll post my results soon.

Anyone running these in a factory 700? Tried them in my second hand Sendero II, and while they performed extremely well and even fed from the BDL, intermittently I would have trouble extracting the spent brass. Bolt lift was not heavy but required extra force to pull the bolt rearward on maybe 5 of the 20 rounds. On one occasion the brass stayed in the chamber but I was able to re engage the bolt to remove the case. Did not have this condition while using cheap PPU ammunition to get on paper/rough zero. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have had weak extractors leave a casing in the chamber. FWIW

Reactions: 2010Ruger