• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger 6.5 CM ammo powder

pbatesaz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
Phoenix, AZ and Cimarron, CO
I tried out the Berger 6.5 ammo with 130 gr hybrids this past weekend. Usually I handload this projectile in Lapua brass with RL16 and get 2920 fps. Since Berger indicates 2921 fps from the same length barrel I’m using, thought I would give theirs a try to see how it compared (and save the Lapua brass). I was only able shoot to 300 yds and the chrono wasn’t cooperating so the comparison fell short of what I hoped for in that regard. However, at 100 and 300 the ammo grouped really well with no scope adjustment needed, even shooting from a tripod (for the first time) and even with the bullets seated .010 farther than I normally seat them in my handloads. I checked bullet runout on a few of the factory loads and it was at or less than .0015 on all of those I checked. So I am curious about what powder and primers Berger is using in this ammo. Anybody with inside info?

I'm not sure that anyone can say for sure, but since Lapua, Berger, and Vihtavuori are all owned by the same parent company, I would guess the powder is Vihtavuori of some type. Maybe a mixture to get the burn rate they want. The loaded Berger ammo is hard to beat. I've shot all the 6.5 Creedmoor offerings from them and they all shoot really well. AND I get to reload the Lapua brass!

Reactions: lash
....and the chrono wasn’t cooperating so the comparison fell short of what I hoped for in that regard.

I recently (2-3 weeks ago) had the same issue with my chronograph. I fixed the issue by purchasing a Magnetospeed. ????

My chronograph worked great until it took a shit during what I would call a "big" load development day (3 different powder OCW testing)

@spife7980 recently reminded me of my praise of my previous chronograph and, in his own way, encouraged me to think about a Magnetospeed.

After having purchased my own magnetospeed, I will never go back to an optical chronograph and don't know why I didn't buy one sooner.

I cannot say. Except I know that whatever they are using, it shoots lights out. Beats the load for 140g hybrids hands down.

Disclaimer: based on observed results out to 1000 yards on more than one occasion. In one rifle. This is not an advertisement or other endorsement beyond what I have experienced. All shooters are expected to verify results in their own system before expecting to shoot the proverbial lights out.

Holy crap!
When did Berger start making ammo?
And in 260 even!
My new barrel absolutely loves FGMM 260, I wonder how the hybrid load would do.
I’ll have to try a box.
I’ve always reloaded for my 260 but factory offerings are a welcome addition.

Nobody sells it. Not available anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: nexusfire and lash