• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Berger 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo...switch from SRP to LRP brass?

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
Bought 100rd of 135gr Classic Hunters last year, found they shoot well in my 18" 6.5 Creedmoor but decided to try some 130gr Hybrid ammo for a bit more velocity and more great brass for reloading.

Received 200 rounds today just to find the new 130gr ammo has Lapua large rifle primer brass...this is a change from last year when Berger 6.5 Creedmoor ammo had Lapua SRP brass.

Lack of due diligence is on me because the Berger website clearly denotes "Large Rifle Primer" for their 6.5 Creedmoor ammo now...but does anybody know why the switch was made?

Don’t know why, but FWIW the 130 hybrid LRP shoots just as well as the 135 classic hunter SRP in my rifle.

Don’t know why, but FWIW the 130 hybrid LRP shoots just as well as the 135 classic hunter SRP in my rifle.

Yeah, I'd say so...that's five shots of the 130gr AR Hybrid LRP ammo which ain't too bad for factory ammo at 108 yards fired by a dude who has shot maybe 100rd centerfire this year. Its POI is also extremely close to the 135gr CH, though velocity is about 150fps higher per Magnetospeed V2.

AVtbSQz.jpg

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I’m not sure if it is a reason for the switch but I bought some of the 140’s recently and was blowing primers during the summer. Out of the 200+ rounds I had previously shot there were no issues. Now that it’s cooled down I need to try it out again.