• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

??? Berger 6mm 108 Elite Hunter bullet jump

Bache Kermooni

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2012
So Cal
My 6mm creed semi-custom Kimber 84M Montana is coming in next week. I am getting ready to reload for my Oct WY Antelope hunt. I have selected the Berger 108 Elite Hunter. For my 6mm AR (Grendel) 95 VLD, I use a 0.065" jump. But the Berger Hybrid/Elite bullets are supposed to be less seating sensitive. So where do I start? It took a lot of playing to get to 0.065" for the VLD. I am hoping to spend less time/money getting a decent load.

What is your experience with this particular bullet and/or other Elite Hunters?

All the best ..

Ran a very light charge of RL16 and seated .025" off. Shot sub 1/2 MOA without issue for break in. I'd say .02 to .05 and you should be fine.

Ran a very light charge of RL16 and seated .025" off. Shot sub 1/2 MOA without issue for break in. I'd say .02 to .05 and you should be fine.
Thanks. I will start at 0.02" and see. My GS did the break-in for me since he was sending it in for nitriding.
I will be using Hornady brass, CCI primers and StaBall powder. Peterson brass and Superformance powder are plan B.

I was looking to build a light, medium game, long range rig. So a new-to-me but yet unfired Kimber 84M in 308 donated the action. My Kimber 84M Montana in .223 donated the stock (Yes. I could not find a 3rd party light stock for Kimber 84M - shame). Do not worry, Kimber re-stocked my .223. Lilja built the 1-8" twist 3-groove barrel in Heavy Kimber profile (22" finished). My GS did the rest and also got it nitrided. The bolt handle and trigger guard are after market. She came in at 5 lbs, 2 7/8 oz. I was pretty pleased - especially considering the heavy barrel contour..
IMG_20200911_173822.jpg
I then added Talley light weight bases and my favorite scope Leupold VX-6 HD 2-12x Firedot Windplex. Gained another 20 oz. I then set the trigger to 2 lbs, 9 oz and took out the creep. Love the Kimber factory trigger.
IMG_20200911_181530.jpg
Off to develop a load. Peterson 6 Creed LRP brass, CCI 200, 42.8 StaBall, and Berger 108 EH (0.040" off lands) - 2990 fps (please do not use my load data in your rifle). There was still plenty of room in the case for powder, but I did not want to push it.
Two consecutive cold barrel shots (15 min apart) resulted in ...
IMG_20200917_153921.jpg
I am done. Off to WY where the Antelope await my arrival - not.
Cheers.

BTW, this was late Sept. Made it to WY where the hunt was successful in the first 5 min on Oct 1 :) 1.5 days of driving either direction - worth it.

Last edited: