• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger Boolits

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
HI guys,

I have been shooting and reloading for a bit but want to really take it up a notch. I have found that in my custom 300wm, 210g Berger bullets work well over 68.9g of RL22. I have been loading the rounds to .005" off my lands.

I have heard that Berger bullets like to be jammed into the lands...is this true? If I am looking to find my best seating depth should I start looking at depths closer to the lands or further away?

I guess my question is do you guys find the most success with berger bullets loaded longer or shorter?

I don’t jam bullets and use either Berger hybrids or OTM bullets and find them to shoot the best for me between .020 to .050 off the lands. I find them to be forgiving and work extremely well

My last barrel had hybrids jumping well over a tenth of an inch with very good results.
I never jam bullets into the lands.

HI guys,

I have been shooting and reloading for a bit but want to really take it up a notch. I have found that in my custom 300wm, 210g Berger bullets work well over 68.9g of RL22. I have been loading the rounds to .005" off my lands.

I have heard that Berger bullets like to be jammed into the lands...is this true? If I am looking to find my best seating depth should I start looking at depths closer to the lands or further away?

I guess my question is do you guys find the most success with berger bullets loaded longer or shorter?

Think ogive type versus brand. Berger has quite a few product lines that are not all secant or tangent profile ogives, so do the other manufacturers.

Typically, VLD's (tangent) ogive profiles are going to be seating depth sensitive. Outside of these, generally it's an experimentation. I've personally never had luck jumping any VLD.

Per Berger:

The key point in Berger’s report is that: “VLD bullets shoot best when loaded to a Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) that puts the bullet in a ‘sweet spot’. This sweet spot is a band .030″ to .040″ wide and is located anywhere between jamming the bullets into the lands and .150″ jump off the lands.”

and

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL:
  1. .010″ into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
  2. .040″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  3. .080″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  4. .120″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Per Berger:

The key point in Berger’s report is that: “VLD bullets shoot best when loaded to a Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) that puts the bullet in a ‘sweet spot’. This sweet spot is a band .030″ to .040″ wide and is located anywhere between jamming the bullets into the lands and .150″ jump off the lands.”

and

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL:
  1. .010″ into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
  2. .040″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  3. .080″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
  4. .120″ off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

AWESOME Thank you all!!!! That Answers it!!!

HI guys,

I’ve found that in my experience with GAP, Surgeon that you can load then tO SAMMI spec and get excellent groups. However, in factory rifles like Remington 700, they tend to like being loaded a good bit longer towards the lands. For example my .300 Win mag likes the 210 vld loaded at 3.622” coal. SAMMI spec is 3.340”.

I've found that 0.05" to 0.015" jump is what the Hybrids like. I use the 105's, the 140's and 230's, and they all like to be jumped in this range.