• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger FULLBORE?

nockhunter

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2010
    upstate ny
    So what is the definition of Berger's fullbore? I looked in Berger's website for a description and found what the bullet is, but why are they called fullbore? Am I missing something or just over thinking it? I am looking at the 80g VLD vs 80.5g fullbore for my .223 bolt action (wylde chamber).

Mike

So what is the definition of Berger's fullbore? I looked in Berger's website for a description and found what the bullet is, but why are they called fullbore? Am I missing something or just over thinking it? I am looking at the 80g VLD vs 80.5g fullbore for my .223 bolt action (wylde chamber).

Mike

The fullbore target bullets IIRC are relating to >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullbore_target_rifle

Reactions: Changed
    I got it, like the Palma bullets. It's not a Berger thing but a bullet for a type of competition.

Thanks
    Mike

Took me a little bit, but I'm liking the 80.5s over the SMK 80s.

What speeds are you guys getting out of 20in barrel with 80.5s?

Reminder that my number is out of a AR15 224 Valkyrie not 556/223. Pushed to the absolute max with 27.0 gr of CFE223, I'm getting 2904 fps on average.

Reactions: ma smith
    Shooting a much longer barrel, my numbers would be meaningless

What speeds are you guys getting out of 20in barrel with 80.5s?
    Accept 2700, they can go faster but brass life and cam pins suffer. I've gotten 2775 in a 1-7 WOA Wylde chamber with Wolf brass and a stiff charge of Reloder 15, they were sporty. The lot of Wolf brass had less case capacity than Lapua, Winchester or Lake City I normally use and I didn't down load the charge. Shot great, brass is trashed for a second go around. If you do the math you're not gaining much if anything as far as wind resistance, may a 1/4 moa click at 600 yards. They (Berger 80.5's like to be jumped, a lot).

IIRC Fullbore rules limited bullet weights in every country except the USA. The two calibers allowed were the 308 Win and the 223 Rem. Each had bullet weight limitations of less then 156 and 81 grains, respectively, hence the 155.5 and 80.5 Berger’s. Those weights may have changed, at least for the 223, which may be 90 grains now, but not 100% sure.