• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

berger hunting vlds for .300 win mag.

bigtater80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
central louisiana
I'm getting ready to start reloading for my .300 win mag. Its a plain stainless sps with 26" regular profile barrel. I have a gift certificate that will cover my bullets, powder, and primers from a local shop. I just found out they carry berger bullets and I've read good things on em but only have 155s and 168s in stock. I would really like something heavier like a 190 but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these lighter weights. Also wondering which primer to use large rifle or magnum rifle. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: berger hunting vlds for .300 win mag.

Well, Joe,

A great deal is dependent on whatcha gonna do with the gun. Hunting? Target? What range? What powder? What twist rate?
Where did you go last night?
Just need more info. As to the mag or regular primer, it depends on the powder you use.

sorry it'll be louisiana deer hunting with a max range of 350yds at the most. I also just discovered there is a range within an hour of my house where I can possibly stretch it out a bit and I'm interested in playing a bit with that as well. not really sure how far I'd like to shoot I guess the sky is the limit don't know what I can handle. I have pretty much decided on rl22 unless rl19 would be better for lighter bullets. Also its a 1-10 twist and last night I mowed the yard in the evenin, ate then played with the babies momma. Hope this is enough info.

Joe,

I hunt about 5-10% of the year and the rest is playtime in the field. I shoot a 300WM as far as I can. So BC is everything to me... unless the bullet is so heavy that I can't make it work. But having said all that, I shoot 208 Amax's. They go forever. I've heard that the 210 Berger is a hell of a hunting bullet. And it flies about the same as the 208's.

If it was me getting gift certificates, I'd get a few pounds of H1000 (Hodgdon's RL22 equivalent, cleaner burning, less temp. sensitive), some CCI 250's or Fed 215's and have them order some 210 Berger's. When you're not hunting, you can shoot at stuff over a mile away and see if you can hit it!

Just my .02

John

what kinda velocities could I expect from the 210s? what's recoil like? Figured 190s wouldn't be to bad and still shoot purty flat. I'm a long way from shooting a mile I'm thinkin more 5-600 max starting out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to start reloading for my .300 win mag. Its a plain stainless sps with 26" regular profile barrel. I have a gift certificate that will cover my bullets, powder, and primers from a local shop. I just found out they carry berger bullets and I've read good things on em but only have 155s and 168s in stock. I would really like something heavier like a 190 but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these lighter weights. Also wondering which primer to use large rifle or magnum rifle. Any input is greatly appreciated. </div></div>

I used Berger 168 gr. VLDs for a Wyoming antelope expedition out of a 300 Weatherby Magnum. The score; 4 antelope taken with the furtherest being about 292 yards away. I also used a Berger 115 gr. VLD out of a 25/06 to take a deer and it wasn't the ideal shot. The deer was departing so I took a "Texas Heart Shot." and hit it in the rear of the left leg; the deer still died.

Have no fears; the Bergers are fine hunting bullets.

For loading my 300 Win. Magn., I use Federal 215M primers (large rifle magnum match primers).

h29zo99.jpg
All that said, Bergers aren't the only way to go. I used this load for a 298 yard neck shot on a deer this year; it killed like lightening. The velocity for this load is about 2,850 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kinda velocities could I expect from the 210s? what's recoil like? Figured 190s wouldn't be to bad and still shoot purty flat. I'm a long way from shooting a mile I'm thinkin more 5-600 max starting out. </div></div>

There are many factors that determine velocity. I'm getting 2860 but I have only a 22" barrel. With a 26" barrel you may be able to get 2950. My shooting partner is launching 200 smk's at 3000 fps from his Sendero.

The 190 would be a fine bullet too. Especially if you're only shooting 600 yds.

John

I just switched from RL-22 to H-1000. More stable powder, and cleaner. I wont ever go back. 208s @ 2955fps. 24in barrel.