• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Berger Hybrid for Hunting?

Blaktastic

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
I am looking at berger's hybrids and would love to try them through my 300 wsm. As well as they would preform on paper, I am just not so sure of how they would do on game. Does anyone have experience taking game with these bullets (besides the 300 grain) that showed good results? Btw I am most interested in the 215 grain if that helps.

Re: Berger Hybrid for Hunting?

Well I have no experience yet but I am planning on taking a deer at LR this season, working up a load with the 230s right now. I was told from a experienced long range shooter that does alot of long range hunting that those type bullets will still expand at below mach whereas most other bullets will not. I have seen his videos with him using the 240smks which as you know arent supposted to be used for hunting on elk at 1400 yards, killed it dead as hell.

This comes up often - especially the month before deer season.

I haven't used the bergers, but have used SMKs - the 175 and 180, at ranges from 100 yards to 700 yards with my 308. They kill just fine.

My take, is a whitetail is going to die from just about any 30cal bullet, going 1000fps or more at impact, if you make a properly placed hit.

A 180smk with MV of 2550fps (my 308) at 700 yards is going about 1500fps, and has almost 1000ft*lbs energy. I can say it doesn't "expand" at ALL, punches a hole thru-and-thru, but turned the heart and lungs into chunky style blood stew.

Well I don't plan on shooting far enough to have my bullet be even close to the speed of sound so I think I might just have to go with the 210 vld hunting. The only thing that bugs me with those is that I'm gonna have to mess with seating depth but I guess that's life.

I didn't have to mess with my seating depth that much not sure what my coal is but it can fit in my remington sendero