• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger indecision...

black5.3

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2017
NC
Hey guys,

I got my 30-06 rebarreled and went a little longer 28” and with a longer throat reamer. The idea was to get my bullets moving a little faster. I have been shooting the 195gr tmk’s for a couple years and they have done me well but im looking to get away from tipped bullets and im looking to go a little heavier. I have been toying with the idea of trying the 200gr berger hybrids or the 200.20x. And maybe later even try the 215gr hybrids. I understand the 200gr and the 200.20x are different bullets with different designs. Do you guys have much experience with either of these? The farthest i have available to me to shoot right now is 1,000 but would definitely want to try this rifle out farther when i get the opportunity. Im also looking to try rl23 or rl26 when i try this new bullet. My understanding is that rl26 isn’t as bulky as rl23 and is only marginally slower. What is you guys take on the powder as well?

I feel like with a 200gr bullet and a decently slow powder i should be able to obtain a solid 2800fps loadgive or take a little. With rl19 and the 195gr tmk i just started to see pressure right at 2800 with 57.9gr of powder.. im thinking if i go a little slower on the powder I shouldn’t have a problem seeing more speed. What is you guys take?

No input on the actual bullets themselves, have seen lots of 200.20x discussion over on accurate shooter for f class stuff which makes me think its probably a pretty great bullet. Mostly 308 focused though. Bergers are too expensive for me to consider them a serious option though but then again Im not all that much of a serious shooter to start with but thats why I havent tried them personally.

I wouldnt go with anything slower than H4350 and I probably wouldnt go with anything slower than H1000 in a the 06 case. H4831 is right in the middle of that. RL 19 should be a good choice. RL26 maybe too but I imagine its just a hair too slow burning, could work out very well though if people using it in the creed case getting such great speeds are of any indication.

So not of very much relevant on hand knowledge here but I dont think youre off track or anything. Maybe someone onto correct me and get some more discussion spurred for you.

I agree the bergers are expensive. Like i stated earlier, im looking to get away from polymer tipped bullets and unless i go back to a smk, the bergers are one of the better options out there but you pay for them. I have considered the eldm but then that puts me back with polymer tipped bullets.