• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger NO BS DC Part 8 Reloading for the Long Range Shooter Part 2

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

The second 1/2 of the cliffhanger is live !

The Everyday Sniper Podcast: Berger No BS BC Part 8 Reloading

Welcome to Part 8 of the Berger No BS BC Series, Reloading for Long Range Shooting Part 2. We continue the conversation with Bryan and Emil in regards to reloading for long range shooting.

In this episode we talk:

• Determining your powder charge
    • Seating Depth
    • Mindset for the Reloader
    • Sample size and considerations

This is another great episode full of knowledge bombs for the long range shooter. We really appreciate Emil and Bryan for taking the time to discuss these topics and offer their advice as well as their personal experiences.

Berger No BS BC

Applied Ballistics

Capstone

thanks for listening thanks for sharing and thanks for being a part of the Everyday Sniper Podcast

Another great podcast with Bryan and Emil. As a new reloader, these 2 podcasts have had some excellent info in them and its also great to hear the differences in thought on reloading.

The talk on powder and the effects of humidity on it was very interesting. I would really like to have heard from them on how they handle powder from getting a new jug till its gone to try and maintain consistency. Do they open a new jug and start using it right away or let it acclimate a bit? Do they leave it in their throwers all the time, for a few days or more between reloading sessions, or always empty back into jug after each session?

Bryan's advice on traveling with ammo sealed with humidity control between very different climates was an excellent point.

Great stuff Guys!
    Thanks!

Another great podcast with Bryan and Emil. As a new reloader, these 2 podcasts have had some excellent info in them and its also great to hear the differences in thought on reloading.

The talk on powder and the effects of humidity on it was very interesting. I would really like to have heard from them on how they handle powder from getting a new jug till its gone to try and maintain consistency. Do they open a new jug and start using it right away or let it acclimate a bit? Do they leave it in their throwers all the time, for a few days or more between reloading sessions, or always empty back into jug after each session?

Bryan's advice on traveling with ammo sealed with humidity control between very different climates was an excellent point.

Great stuff Guys!
    Thanks!
    I keep my powder in a old dead refrigerator with a couple of cigar humidifier jars.
    keeps changes in temp and humidity at a minimum.

Love this series! Heavy hitter guests and information overload(starting 2d play while typing) The cartridges I've been playing with don't always get an acceptable case fill with the "temp stable" advertised powders. Resigned to using some of the older powders and trying to limit their temperature in a match setting. Being in AZ, it's easy, just have to keep them warm to keep MV constant. Do the experts think this is an acceptable approach?

I keep my powder in a old dead refrigerator with a couple of cigar humidifier jars.
    keeps changes in temp and humidity at a minimum.
    I keep mine stored in my reloading room in the basement and have dehumidifier set at 55%. Im just wondering if storing it closer to shooting conditions is better? If stored too dry and ammo isn't sealed like they talked about, how long does it take for the powder to absorb the moisture? They didnt make it sound like it took too long of time. Probably why they say when reloading the night before a match, fresh ammo is the best ammo 😂

id be curious to see a test in a climate controlled environment. they mentioned submerging a loaded round but does that translate over to humidity? Given the pressure doesnt change dramatically I have a hard time imagining much movement of vapour in and out of the case. But my imagination has been wrong many times before.

Love the free flow of knowledge put out on the podcast! Listening to Brian talk about bullet construction on one of the No BS BC podcasts got me to thinking (long drive to work). He said that the best design for a LR bullet would be CG forward with mass more toward the circumference of the bullet. Has anyone attempted to make the opposite of an aluminum tipped bullet, with the boat tail portion made of a light material with a "post" extending toward the tip? I don't know what kind of manufacturing difficulties this would create, but it would shift the CG forward and the mass outward. Just curious. Keep the info flowing!

IIRC Lutz Moeller(sic) had some bullets that looked like that
    Love the free flow of knowledge put out on the podcast! Listening to Brian talk about bullet construction on one of the No BS BC podcasts got me to thinking (long drive to work). He said that the best design for a LR bullet would be CG forward with mass more toward the circumference of the bullet. Has anyone attempted to make the opposite of an aluminum tipped bullet, with the boat tail portion made of a light material with a "post" extending toward the tip? I don't know what kind of manufacturing difficulties this would create, but it would shift the CG forward and the mass outward. Just curious. Keep the info flowing!

I’m just thrown off by Brian’s load development. Basically load up .5 grain increments till you get pressure and back it off a grain.

I’m just thrown off by Brian’s load development. Basically load up .5 grain increments till you get pressure and back it off a grain.
    It makes sense to me. I think there are a lot of voodoo practices in load development that are built on statistically invalid observations.

Bryan makes me feel soooo dumb. What an amazing knowledge bomb. Keep it coming. Please.

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of this series, but this episode hit me hard. I live in South Mississippi and we have a small house with four children so my reloading gear is in my shop, outside, with no climate control....

I’ve seen changes in loads that now I’m sure we’re the result of humidity affecting the powder. What’s the best way for me to store my powder to mitigate the effects of humidity on burn rate? I know some of y’all who posted on this thread are having similar thoughts.

Anybody else in here live down south? How do y’all store powder and primers?

I’ve enjoyed the hell out of this series, but this episode hit me hard. I live in South Mississippi and we have a small house with four children so my reloading gear is in my shop, outside, with no climate control....

I’ve seen changes in loads that now I’m sure we’re the result of humidity affecting the powder. What’s the best way for me to store my powder to mitigate the effects of humidity on burn rate? I know some of y’all who posted on this thread are having similar thoughts.

Anybody else in here live down south? How do y’all store powder and primers?
    Find a spot in the house to store powder and primers. Than, when it's time to reload, bring it out the components you need to the garage. I find spots under the sink and closet.

I just finished listening to the podcast and had what may be a dumb thought. Has anyone considered putting a small desiccant pack in the powder canister?