• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Berger or A-max for 7mmRM

Ouch!!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
Western, KY
I ran a few ballistic charts on JBM. I bought a few 162 a-max's as my barrel was reamed and throated to run the amax's. At 3000fps on both bullets the berger 180 is beating out the amax. But if I get the amax up to 3100fps or so it beats the berger out to 1200yds. My question is does it pay off to up the amax's load to match or beat the berger 180's just to still fall short after 1200. Am I too much of a noob to worry about the lack of 1200yd performance compared to the berger? The other thing is say my barrels life is 2600rds. I thought about buying 26 boxes of either ammo. The berger will cost me almost 500 dollars more to shoot over the life of the barrel. I can replace the barrel I have with a new one if I just use what the barrel was intended for.

Cliffs::
Barrel can be purchased for savings of shooting amax over berger.

Am I too worried about small ballistic changes and should I just shoot!!!

Re: Berger or A-max for 7mmRM

Ouch,

I believe when seated similarly you will find both the 162 and Berger’s ogives to be within a few thousandths of each other. I know I did, using an RCBS precision mic. I've run both bullets in my 7mmRM. I think you find your accuracy node to be around 3030-3050fps with the 162's. A buddy of mine, who's also a member of this board, called hornady and asked about the 162's. The tech said he believed the bullets shoot best between 3K-3100fps. I confirmed this twice using ladder tests in my rifle. While I could get them up to 3150, they did not group well. My accuracy node was between 3030 and 3050. I have another friend that also ladder tested his rifle and found the same accuracy node, 3030 in his rifle. He is shooting a 7WSM...while it could be coincidental...I really feel like that's the right speed to push the bullets.

Your mileage may vary but I found an accuracy node @ 3050 with the Berger 180's. They seemed to group a shade better than the 162's and seemed to be a little more consistent at further ranges as well. However, the Berger’s are pickier about distance to lands. I am jumping mine .005-.008 thousandths to the lands. I feel like this gives me a little leeway on bullet variations and allows me to not have to mess with my quickload calculations to account for the extra pressure of being into the lands.

Conclusion, both bullets are good performers, and at least on paper, the drop and windage differences are so small most shooters could not hold the difference.

Personally I'd go buy a box of Bergers, run them in the rifle and see what you find. Do ladder tests with both @ at least 300 yards. Run good brass (or spend time prepping) and a consistent primer and I think you will be happy with either.

Thanks guys, its just that im a perfectionist so It really bugs me if I think there is a better ammo out there and im not using it I guess is what im getting at. I cant wait until I start the powdering phase of the journey. I will really be pulling my hairs.

Ouch,

There's no magic bullet or velocity. I ran the big 30's for several years and when I made the change, I went 7mm and 180 Bergers. My 7/300 is pushing the 180's at 2,920 fps. Never tried the 162 Amaxs and probably wont.

Dont fight the rifle or purchase componants based on price alone. Feed the rifle what it wants, it'll let you know what that is.

Pick the one your rifle likes, get to know it and don't look back. Neither is a bad choice. Please leave the 175SMKs alone as they are hard enough to find at times
smile.gif

One other thing to consider would be terminal performance. I like amax's for deer, but I think you'd be better of ith the 180s for bigger game.
If all you'll shoot is paper and steel, then go with the one that shoots best in your rifle.
CW

I have a .243 for deer. And I will probably use the 7 for elk caribou and other larger game. I think the 7 is a little over kill on n.a.whitetail. and even though people do it and is very easy to make a kill over 700yds on a whitetail I prefer not to do it. I have no question that my .243 will make a kill under 600. The 7 will bridge the gap for me of 1200-1760. But I will probably make the 7 my go to gun for many shooting comps and if I get my 7 going I'm going to bring it instead of the .243. I guess I will see what this rifle wants and go from there. OSU what powder you using to get your velocity etc etc.

I would say that you are right on with the cost comparison. If your rifle shoots the a max bullets fine then stick with them. Everytime you buy some amax bullets put the cost difference in your pocket for barrel change time