• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition BERGER SW NATIONALS

doninreno

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2018
I managed to get signed up for both 600 yard intermediate range match and the 1000 yard grand Aggregate matches this morning by 2 minutes after 6:00 AM, but BOY did the 1000 yard get filled up and then closed for entries fast! Literally 6 minutes after 0600 or a little less depending upon who the source is and then the 600 yard (my registration got done by 3 minutes after 6:00 AM) matches closed quickly thereafter---all filled up! Many of our local shooters didn't make the registration and are on the wait lists. Kind of a shame, huh?---talking about Masters and HIGH Masters here--- And this is a MAJOR match with literally 300 to 400 shooters that come from all over the world with individual shooters and teams and it is attended by most all of the Teams that shoot around in the US---LAPUA, BERGER, SAVAGE, etc!!

Last edited:
Managed to sign up for the Grand Aggregate. Was logged into my Practice Score account 25 minutes before it opened and registered right at 6:00 AM. Great match and looking forward to shooting it again.

Yes, it IS a great match--great experience (have shot that match the last three years) and a good way to go shoot in the middle of the winter (UGH!!)....not to mention that it is within only an easy day and a half driving distance for me. My shooting buddy (enjoying breakfast in the pic) and I both camp right there in the "Shooter's East Campground" right there at Ben Avery in my redneck RV (Cargo trailer with some additions like TV, Carpet, Heat, etc.) so we NEVER have to screw around with or plan extra time for possible traffic problems/delays. Though I once set (and still hold some) NRA National records, I'm now an old fart and not as steady and clear of eye as I once was like back in my competitive days in my 30s and 40s (and that was a LOOOONG time ago!), so now I just enjoy shooting----HEY SOMEONE has to bring up last place, right? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20170210_091800 Todd no face.jpg
    20170210_091800 Todd no face.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I got in as well. It is a well run match and is a lot of fun. I look forward to it every year. It is a shame it is becoming a keyboard contest to get in now days....

You would think a competition that fills up that fast would have some sort of qualifier to it. O well, I'll never be good enough to consider trying to go to a big competition like that.

You would think a competition that fills up that fast would have some sort of qualifier to it. O well, I'll never be good enough to consider trying to go to a big competition like that.
Yeah, that idea has been kicked around, but no one has come up with anything truly equitable to all other than having some kind of shooting competition to qualify. I know there are folks around like me that enjoy shooting and competing, our for real COMPETITIVE days were like (in my case) more than three decades ago)...and I get the feeling that no one truly wants to exclude those of us that, thank god, have lived long healthy lives (I'm now 72) and though are now not clear of eye or steady enough to be really competitive. We just go there to shoot for the fun or it to shoot/compete and enjoy the event/environment/nice weather and rubbing elbows with and shooting with people that can actually NOW shoot lights out!

Last edited:
Yeah, that idea has been kicked around, but no one has come up with anything truly equitable to all other than having some kind of shooting competition to qualify. I know there are folks around like me that enjoy shooting and competing, our for real COMPETITIVE days were like (in my case) more than three decades ago)...and I get the feeling that no one truly wants to exclude those of us that, thank god, have lived long healthy lives (I'm now 72) and though are now not clear of eye or steady enough to be really competitive. We just go there to shoot for the fun or it to shoot/compete and enjoy the event/environment/nice weather and rubbing elbows with and shooting with people that can actually NOW shoot lights out!
I get that, but it dilutes the competition since the best shooter may have just been 7 min late to the registration. I am sure they would still sell out if the competition was held over a week instead of a weekend. Or hold multiple qualifiers over the month so that you still get the BSWN experience and if you get top w.e during one of the 3 weekend qualifiers then you get to participate in the grand finally on the 4th week, or something like that.

My last SWN was in 2016, and I just entered for the one day at the MR600 F T/R stages. I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet up with folks I first met at the 2002 SOA matches.

It's just gotten too hectic and intense for the likes of me. More fun than a barrel of shaved monkeys, but I'm just not that guy anymore.

Best fortune to all.

Greg

I get that, but it dilutes the competition since the best shooter may have just been 7 min late to the registration. I am sure they would still sell out if the competition was held over a week instead of a weekend. Or hold multiple qualifiers over the month so that you still get the BSWN experience and if you get top w.e during one of the 3 weekend qualifiers then you get to participate in the grand finally on the 4th week, or something like that.

Well, I'd say that if ANYONE happened to be "just" 7 minutes late and missed out on getting registered, that person wasn't either paying attention or even close to serious enough about going there to shoot. Even we "tech dinosaurs" manged to figure out that one needs to get RIGHT ON IT as soon as the registration opens. Also, the idea of holding "qualifiers" is a good one, but Mother Nature's "wind machine wouldn't necessarily cooperate and make all of the qualifiers equal...and we all know what the wind can do to scores!!

I will say that this match is kinda hard to get into if you aren't paying attention....not even close to what it was like back in the days I was SERIOUSLY attending similar matches and winning them, setting national records and winning state and regional matches. Just because some of us are getting older than the average competitive shooter, doesn't mean we don't still want to shoot and to compete.