• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bering Optics Super Hogster A3 LRF: First Look

kirsch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2020
I posted a First Look video of the Super Yoter LRF a few months ago. I was fortunate enough to test a Super Hogster A3 LRF recently. These both are sample prototypes. Bering is getting close to release and these samples keep getting better and better. Bering will be allowing us to order them very soon. Please contact Night Goggles at 909-312-5424 to get on the list to order one of these fantastic thermals.

Reactions: DIBBS
Thanks for the review.
Is there a way to adjust Reticle brightness with this model ?

SJC
No, there isn't a specific brightness adjustment that only impacts the reticle. There is an adjustment for screen brightness as well as image brightness. You can also load you own custom created reticle which is an amazing feature.

The new Bering LRF models are adding a lot of additional features that didn't exist in Bering models prior including an entirely new UI. Here is a list of things I can think of that are different:

1) LRF Added
2) New alloy housing (which is stronger, heavier, and longer). 8 oz heavier and 1" longer than non-LRF
3) 4 button operation vs 3
4) Really powerful magnetic USB connection for both power and data transfer
5) 4 AA internal power (lasts a lot longer than 2 CR12s)
6) Improved video recording quality
7) Video recording now in 5-minute segments
8) Video recording includes audio
9) More Stepped Zoom levels
10) Incremental .5x Zoom
11) Forward and Backward zoom available at all levels
12) 4 Gun profiles + 3 distance profiles per gun
13) Custom reticle you can design
14) Additional Highlight Hot background
15) Entirely new UI for Menus

Last edited:
These look great with a lot of promise. I can’t say I understand the 4 AA battery choice though. I agree that CR123s aren’t optimal and aren’t easy in the wallet, but why not go with 18650s? Is there a good AA option I haven’t seen yet?

These look great with a lot of promise. I can’t say I understand the 4 AA battery choice though. I agree that CR123s aren’t optimal and aren’t easy in the wallet, but why not go with 18650s? Is there a good AA option I haven’t seen yet?
I recommended 18650s to Bering when they asked me my opinion as well. I have tested many sample Bering LRFs starting since this Fall. Each version I get runs longer and longer on the 4 AAs. I believe they are including 4 rechargeable AAs and a charger with units. The Super Hogster LRF run 6 hours with the LRF on in my last test which is very good. The SY runtime will be less but Bering is saying 4 hours. If a person needs to get spare batteries, what store doesn't carry AA batteries. There are lots of great AA rechargeable options also.
For the person who needs all night power in cold weather, I would recommend a battery pack anyway. I hunt in ND and it is very, very cold in the winter. I run external battery packs even if the thermal has 18650s. The magnetic USB option they put on these LRFs is nothing short of amazing. They created a deep lip, so it takes a lot of force to move it. On top of this, if the cord get hits or bumped, due to the deep magnetic cavity, it just moves and stays connected. You have to intentionally try to remove it. One of the main repair items on thermals are damaged USB ports. I always tell people to use 90° cables and do not disconnect at the thermals (do it at the battery) to preserve unnecessary wear on their ports. This should not be an issue with the Bering LRF USB magnetic connection. I am very critical of almost all other magnetic connections, but I wish my Super Yoter had the same connection. Most magnetic USB connections are for power only. On the Bering LRFs, it transfers data and power if you connect it a PC.

As I said, I was a strong proponent of 18650s also. However, after using these prototypes, I feel it was a solid choice. The last time I hunted coyotes with the Super Hogster, I hunted 8 coyotes stands and I ran it on internal battery power only, and it was 10° outside. I still had battery life left after the hunt. I realize the AA choice wasn't conventional but don't discount the overall solution.

I hope you do a Super Hogster vs Super Yoter comparison in the future. It’s hard to choose between the two as most hunts are between 100-200 yards.

The units are identical as far as features and functionality. Here are the differences:

Super Hogster: 384x288, 3.5-14x magnification, 7.5° FOV, comfortable shooting range to around 300 yards, weight=26oz
Super Yoter: 640x480, 3-24x magnification, 9° FOV, comfortable shooting range to around 400 yards, weight=28oz

The Super Yoter is a more flexible scope because it has a wider FOV at base magnification, will have a better overall image, and due to the higher pixel count can handle higher levels of digital zoom. My hunting partner would say the Super Hogster is all you need, but if you look through the Super Yoter, it will be all you want.

If you are only shooting 100-200 yards, I would probably recommend a Super Yoter 35 or 25 vs the 50 or even a Hogster Vibe 35. People will say, but they want the LRF. If shots are 100-200 yards most people don't need an LRF unless using subsonic loads or air rifles. I have shot more than 1,000 coyotes with Super Hogsters and Super Yoters, and I have tested every Bering model (and many other companies). I will send you a PM with my cell number if you wish to discuss the right option for your uses.

I did a video when I received my first Super Yoter prototype 2 years ago, and I still owned a Super Hogster, so I did some side by side comparisons. At around 1:55, I begin to compare the two. The differences in quality of image can be hard to see at times in a recording when the compression is so high. The difference is very noticeable through the eyepiece. Yes, the sensor and firmware have improved, but it has for both of them. There is a portion where it shows the Super Hogster, Super Yoter, and Phenom 640 together as well.

I don't like the fact that you can't control the reticle brightness and that their made in Chyna, like my backup AGM Adder scope, but dammit they work great and have many features that are only available in scopes way above their price point.

SJC

I don't like the fact that you can't control the reticle brightness and that their made in Chyna, like my backup AGM Adder scope, but dammit they work great and have many features that are only available in scopes way above their price point.

SJC
The iRay sensor which Bering uses for many of their thermals is made in China. However, Bering assembles their thermals in the US from parts sourced from the US and all around the world and services them in the US. Bering can fix or replace virtually any part of their thermals whether in warranty or out.

AGM thermals are made in China and are imported in, at this time (this could change) does not service their thermals, so they are very different. This was at least the information provided by an AGM account manager when we looked at potentially carrying AGM products.

As for reticle brightness, you are correct, there is no adjustment on Bering thermals, but I honestly haven't ever needed it. I have shot many coyotes with Bering thermals in total daylight which is about the most difficult time to see your thermal image, and it still was fine.

If a person wants to stay away from China, and they don't want to spend the money for Trijicon or Nvision, Pulsar would be another solid choice. They have lots of features, are moderately priced and headquartered in Lithuania.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping and DIBBS
No, there isn't a specific brightness adjustment that only impacts the reticle. There is an adjustment for screen brightness as well as image brightness. You can also load you own custom created reticle which is an amazing feature.

The new Bering LRF models are adding a lot of additional features that didn't exist in Bering models prior including an entirely new UI. Here is a list of things I can think of that are different:

1) LRF Added
2) New alloy housing (which is stronger, heavier, and longer). 8 oz heavier and 1" longer than non-LRF
3) 4 button operation vs 3
4) Really powerful magnetic USB connection for both power and data transfer
5) 4 AA internal power (lasts a lot longer than 2 CR12s)
6) Improved video recording quality
7) Video recording now in 5-minute segments
8) Video recording includes audio
9) More Stepped Zoom levels
10) Incremental .5x Zoom
11) Forward and Backward zoom available at all levels
12) 4 Gun profiles + 3 distance profiles per gun
13) Custom reticle you can design
14) Additional Highlight Hot background
15) Entirely new UI for Menus

Has the SYLRF 3*24*50 been tested outdoors in the winter? Just curious to know if the temperature affects the
operation of the scope. Not so much with battery life, but with the accuracy the scope itself.
Thanks

Has the SYLRF 3*24*50 been tested outdoors in the winter? Just curious to know if the temperature affects the
operation of the scope. Not so much with battery life, but with the accuracy the scope itself.
Thanks
I can't speak for any other testers, but yes I ran both a SH LRF and SY LRF prototypes several times during the 2022/2023 winter in ND. I hunted down to about -15 with it and had no issues with accuracy.

Reactions: shoots100