• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Bering Optics Super Yoter R: Review

kirsch

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2020

Specifications: You can find a list of the Super Yoter specifications here

Review: You can find my review of the Super Yoter here

Image Quality: The image quality of the Super Yoter R Prototype is impressive. The video recordings are impacted significantly as Bering Optics uses the highest compression ratio for recordings of any thermal brand I have used. This results in videos that are easier to share and edit. Although often said about many thermals, the view through the eyepiece is so much better than the recordings. In addition, I purposely record my evaluation videos in medium-high humidity conditions. The goal is to provide a fair representation of what end-users can expect to experience not create a marketing video.

Price: $4,595

Ordering: Night Goggles has a pre-order in with Bering and is starting a list of people who want one. If you want to be included on the list, please send an email to [email protected] or contact Carina at 909-312-5424 X331 who can provide details on the process.

Availability: Bering is planning on an initial production run starting at the end of September. For people who receive thermals from the first production run, the current estimate would be delivery in October. Being on a list with Night Goggles (or any dealer), does not guarantee delivery by this time period. I would not recommend waiting until they are in-stock. Based on the demand for other Bering thermals and the excellence of this product, we unfortunately do not anticipate being able to keep them in-stock for some time.

Last edited:
It is an awesome scope. I don't think people will realize how cool the Range Marks feature is going to be. For anyone that cares about PBR, it is really cool. Here is how it compares with the Super Hogster which is an awesome Bering thermal:
  1. Better overall image
  2. Less pixilation on digital zoom
  3. Larger FOV (1°) while maintaining 3x base magnification
  4. Double the video/image storage capacity
  5. LaRue QR Mount
  6. Background balance of Cool or Warm
  7. Zero adjustments at 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x. Result ends up being adjustment value < .2" vs .67" on a SH
  8. Adjustable Stadiametric height
  9. Range Marks
On the prototype I received, I could adjust my zero by .14". Pretty remarkable, as this is a smaller adjustment value than most glass scopes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
The picture looks pretty clean, even when magnified.
Thank you. It is much more impressive in person than the video shows. It is an awesome thermal.

Does the video have sound? The super hogster doesn’t have sound on video recordings if I am remembering correctly.

The Super Yoter does not have a microphone so does not record sound with the internal video. You are correct the Super Hogster and Phenom do not either. However, if you wish to use the InfiRayOutdoor app which is available for iOS or Android, you can stream to the app from any of the three Bering thermals, and record via the device. There is an option to activate the device microphone and you will get audio and video on the recording. In tests I ran, the resulting video was almost identical in size and the video quality was virtually the same. There were instances where the synch of the audio and video were about .5 seconds different which is the most evident on gun-shots. If using this app, do not select "Update Firmware" as the firmware is different. Lots of users on the Bering Optics Users Group on Facebook are using the InfirayOutdoors App and they say it is working great. I asked Bering on their thoughts, and they will not support it since it isn't their app, but they didn't seem concerned with people using it. If they aren't concerned, then I won't be either.

I had a member of a Forum ask me to record a video where the animals were at further distances and use digital zoom and pause on each digital zoom level with the Super Yoter R (SY) prototype. They wanted to get a better feel for how well it handles digital zoom. I recently went out and recorded the following video. My advice for anyone looking for a thermal is to get a thermal that works well for most of your hunting at base magnification. However, with the SY know if you need to use digital zoom, your image will still look pretty good. Also note, the humidity on this video was done at 75%. If it was lower, the image clarity would be even better. This prototype has been extremely good, but Bering has already improved the version that will release in a little over one month.

I recently heard from Tom Austin, director of Night Goggles who told me, "For anyone interested, simply email Night Goggles at [email protected] or call us to get on the pre-order list. We still have a few units that are not spoken for in our first shipment expected early to mid-October."

Last edited:
Reactions: doubloon
Thanks for the videos.

How does this unit compare to the Pulsar Trail 2's in terms of image quality?... XQ or XP

I haven't used a Trail 2, Thermion 2, or Pro version from Pulsar. I have used both Trail and Helion XQ and XPs. From the original XP and XQs, the Yoter R has a better image. Since you mentioned Trails, the Yoter is lighter, smaller, less expensive, includes a LaRue QD mount, and has a 4 year warranty. It includes the new Range Marks feature which is a great new feature that lessens the need for an LRF. On the Trail side, I would say an integrated battery, LRF, and audio recording along with video would be the main advantages.

For those wanting a wider FOV, the XP50 has a bigger FOV than the Super Yoter (SY) while the SY has a slightly bigger FOV than the XQ. I will be hunting with a Super Yoter this Fall/Winter. Since there is a limited supply of SY prototypes, an exact answer is going to be hard for someone to provide between the Super Yoter and a Trail 2.

Last edited:
I’m sure this will go head to head with the HALO LR. Anyone have an idea how these two compare?

Since the Super Yoter is only available to a limited number of testers, it will be hard to get head to head comparisons for awhile. However, I put together a chart comparing them from a specifications standpoint.

Halo_Comp.jpg

You mentioned Halo LR but I decided to include the newer X and XRF as well. For info I couldn't find, I put an ?. If anyone has the specs on zero adjustment values for the X and XRF as well as their temp rating, I can update the chart.

Last edited:
Since the Super Yoter is only available to a limited number of testers, it will be hard to get head to head comparisons for awhile. However, I put together a chart comparing them from a specifications standpoint.

View attachment 7693397

You mentioned Halo LR but I decided to include the newer X and XRF as well. For info I couldn't find, I put an ?.

Be nice to add manufacturer location, company HQ and warranty repair location and mean time for repair.

Does the Yoter use rechargeable batts? Another data point to add.

Does the difference in display size add to the Super yoters picture quality ?
My Thermion XP38 has the same display size and I like how the display fill's the whole eyepiece, not like your looking at a postage stamp that's set back inside the eye piece.

View attachment 7693397

You mentioned Halo LR but I decided to include the newer X and XRF as well. For info I couldn't find, I put an ?.

Have you had the chance to get behind a nox35 yet? I know it's kind of apples and oranges but the 35 and yoter is what I would be choosing between if I go dedicated wmt. The halo weight especially the x models is a deal killer for me.

Be nice to add manufacturer location, company HQ and warranty repair location and mean time for repair.

Bering thermals are assembled in CA and TX depending on model and service the same. Most major service happens in CA while firmware and some other changes happen in TX. If someone has that information for NVision, feel free to add. Mean time for repair I don't have that for either but I can tell you Bering service has been fantastic and from everything I have heard so is Nvision. Night Goggles is just adding NVision to our list of products so I don't have as much information.

Reactions: GreenMushroom
Does the difference in display size add to the Super yoters picture quality ?
My Thermion XP38 has the same display size and I like how the display fill's the whole eyepiece, not like your looking at a postage stamp that's set back inside the eye piece.
The image and clarity in the lens is fantastic on the SY. I can't say if it makes a difference that it has more resolution than the sensor does.

Last edited:
The Yoter (and Hogsters) is rated to handle CR123s, rechargeable CR123s, and 5V 2A battery packs. Although they are rated to use rechargeable CR123, Bering does not recommend the use of rechargeable 123s due to the lack of consistency and common usage of chargers which over-charged batteries providing excessive voltage. If you add recoil to the mix, and batteries leak, catch on fire, etc inside the scope, it could be bad. I use the TRB battery pack from Night Goggles and it lasts me 12+ hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: pabrousseau
The halo weight especially the x models is a deal killer for me.
I thought my Thermion was heavy at 26 oz's, but the X35 I'm seriously looking into getting, weighs 37 Oz !
I like the 18650 batteries the X35 uses, but I'm also from NY and a Yankees fan from birth, so buying something made in Massachusetts is a hard pill to swallow.
If the SY used anything but 123 batteries or an external batt pak to power it, I would've been the first one on the horn with Tom ordering it.

Have you had the chance to get behind a nox35 yet? I know it's kind of apples and oranges but the 35 and yoter is what I would be choosing between if I go dedicated wmt. The halo weight especially the x models is a deal killer for me.
I haven’t. Night Goggles is just beginning to carry Nvision Thermals. As a product tester for Night Goggles, I haven’t received anything to test as of yet. Per previous threads, I believe you have a Phenom. The image of the Super Yoter should be similar but has a 50mm focal length so you gain magnification and lose FOV. The Super Yoter is a Super Hogster with a few extra features, LaRue mount, Phenom quality image with a 50mm focal length.

If you like the Phenom image quality, you will really like the SY. It will have more magnification and less FOV than the Phenon and the NOX. If you hunt really tight terrain where 3x base magnification is too much, the NOX may be a better fit.

Last edited:
I thought my Thermion was heavy at 26 oz's, but the X35 I'm seriously looking into getting, weighs 37 Oz !
I like the 18650 batteries the X35 uses, but I'm also from NY and a Yankees fan from birth, so buying something made in Massachusetts is a hard pill to swallow.
If the SY used anything but 123 batteries or an external batt pak to power it, I would've been the first one on the horn with Tom ordering it.
I thought when I stopped using Pulsar, I was going to really miss their proprietary battery packs. I personally haven't. Yes it adds one wire/cord, but with a good setup, I don't even notice it. It also allows me quick access to connect to a PC to download files without having to plug and unplug the device or rely on slow wireless transfers. Check out this video at 1:14. On this video, I show how the battery is part of my scope/rail combination. This works great on an AR, but wouldn't work as well for a right-handed bolt but there are other options.

I did not mention every feature of all models as I did not mention "Edge Detect" or the Automatic Reticle Color Feature on the NVision units because I wasn't sure what models those features were included in. There are also several features of the Yoter I did not list including Compass and Inclinometer. The one thing that really surprised me on the X and XRF was the small 3.5GB storage capacity that can only record 45 minutes. I give Bering a lot of grief because of their high compression rates. However, due to this and a 32GB capacity, I can turn on a recording at the beginning of every stand, and turn it off when done, and I could still hunt for a week straight all night long recording everything. 45 minutes seems very short especially if a person forgets to turn off the recording. It wouldn't need to be over 60 hours like Bering, but I am very surprised by such a small storage capacity.

Last edited:
2 stands, 4 coyotes with the Super Yoter. Humidity was over 90% on both stands. On the second stand, fog was starting to form as the humidity approached 100% when I shot the last coyote. The Super Yoter wasn't hindered at all. The clarity of this scope is really awesome.

One note, I had the Super Yoter on my .17HMR for some backyard pest control right before this hunt. I took it off and put it on my 22-250. I never rechecked zero or took a test shot. I had total confidence it would be right where I left it, and it was.

Do you happen to know if you can get the instruction manual for the Hogster 35 from Bering in PDF? I lost my paper copy and am still pretty new with using it. I wanted to put it on my 308 bolt gun in the next day or so.

Dang, was just looking at the discontinued Triji hunters that eurooptics has on sale and now I’m torn.
what would you do? Triji hunterMK3 35mm or yoter?!

your videos are great, but are really going to empty my wallet!

I already bought a Yoter. The FOV is going to be bigger on the 35mm if you hunt hogs and need a bigger FOV. The Super Yoter at a lower price point has a ton of things going for it. I sent you a PM if you want to chat about the SY more.

The Yoter (and Hogsters) is rated to handle CR123s, rechargeable CR123s, and 5V 2A battery packs. Although they are rated to use rechargeable CR123, Bering does not recommend the use of rechargeable 123s due to the lack of consistency and common usage of chargers which over-charged batteries providing excessive voltage. If you add recoil to the mix, and batteries leak, catch on fire, etc inside the scope, it could be bad. I use the TRB battery pack from Night Goggles and it lasts me 12+ hours.

However.
They do say it's fine to use Surefire rechargeable batteries. A bit pricey

Dang, looks good. Nice shooting.

Do you prefer “white hot” for most stands?

It depends on the thermal I am using. For Flir, I used almost exclusively Black Hot for shooting. For Pulsar, I scanned in white hot and shot in black hot. When I moved to Bering thermals, I have always preferred white hot for both scanning and shooting. However, there are times I use black hot such as reading terrain.

The Super Yoter prototype I first received didn't have the best black-hot palette but has a very good white hot palette. I gave Bering this feedback, and they improved the black-hot palette a lot on the released version. I will have to record a hunt in black-hot in the future but I still prefer white hot.

Heck of a shot at 370! Seems like PID at that distance is no problem. Flying chunks off a dog at 110 is a nice touch

Heck of a shot at 370! Seems like PID at that distance is no problem. Flying chunks off a dog at 110 is a nice touch
Thank you. The image on the Super Yoter is downright amazing. Most people don't get the fact that Bering videos are about 10-20% the size of virtually every other thermal. If the videos look this good with that much compression, imagine what it looks like through the eyepiece.

Normally, I would say PID as double that on the Super Yoter. However, the humidity was right at 90% and there was a haze in the air. You are correct, I had no issues either with PID or the shot. I gave it a little right to left wind drift. I could have aimed a bit higher, but I was a bit elevated and the shot found the mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlsmith1
It depends on the thermal I am using. For Flir, I used almost exclusively Black Hot for shooting. For Pulsar, I scanned in white hot and shot in black hot. When I moved to Bering thermals, I have always preferred white hot for both scanning and shooting. However, there are times I use black hot such as reading terrain.

The Super Yoter prototype I first received didn't have the best black-hot palette but has a very good white hot palette. I gave Bering this feedback, and they improved the black-hot palette a lot on the released version. I will have to record a hunt in black-hot in the future but I still prefer white hot.
Nice!
I recently watch a video of yours and you mentioned that the sun can damage the lens, what kind of damage are we talking and is it prolonged exposure or instant?
Seems easily avoidable, just cover the lens when not looking down rang!
Any interesting updates to the production version of the yoter?

Nice!
I recently watch a video of yours and you mentioned that the sun can damage the lens, what kind of damage are we talking and is it prolonged exposure or instant?
Seems easily avoidable, just cover the lens when not looking down rang!
Any interesting updates to the production version of the yoter?
With any thermal, you don't want to point any intense light source directly at the objective. This includes the sun, lasers, etc. There should be no damage by an instant exposure say as you sweep through an area to shoot a coyote. However, I wouldn't have the scope facing up towards the sun, or another example is watch the location in a vehicle so there isn't a direct exposure to the lens, etc. If you get high intensity light damage, you very well may have permantly damaged your thermal. If it was a quick exposure, a manual NUC should clear the screen up.

The prototype was so solid there wasn't a lot to fix or tweak. Here are some things that improved:

1) Black-Hot Mode is crisper and shows more detail
2) Shutdown operation sped up by more than 60%
3) Cleaner image with less artifacts
4) Range Lines decreased in width and saves when powering down scope. This allows the same screen to be present when started

With any thermal, you don't want to point any intense light source directly at the objective. This includes the sun, lasers, etc. There should be no damage by an instant exposure say as you sweep through an area to shoot a coyote. However, I wouldn't have the scope facing up towards the sun, or another example is watch the location in a vehicle so there isn't a direct exposure to the lens, etc. If you get high intensity light damage, you very well may have permantly damaged your thermal. If it was a quick exposure, a manual NUC should clear the screen up.

The prototype was so solid there wasn't a lot to fix or tweak. Here are some things that improved:

1) Black-Hot Mode is crisper and shows more detail
2) Shutdown operation sped up by more than 60%
3) Cleaner image with less artifacts
4) Range Lines decreased in width and saves when powering down scope. This allows the same screen to be present when started
You’re quick!
Thanks for the info, I guess I should elaborate on my question.

What is an example of the damage, ie spots on screen, less clarity, less thermal sensitivity… ? Just curious.

Really depends on the type of exposure. I would say more times than not it is a big spot on the screen that is darker or lighter that won't go away almost like the lens is dirty. I have attached an example of one I have seen personally. Look at the jagged line in the upper right hand corner. That would not go away no matter how many times this thermal was NUC'd.

damaged_flir.jpg

Last edited:
Really depends on the type of exposure. I would say more times than not it is a big spot on the screen that is darker or lighter that won't go away almost like the lens is dirty. I have attached an example of one I have seen personally. Look at the jagged line in the upper right hand corner. That would not go away no matter how many times this thermal was NUC'd.

View attachment 7721128
Very interesting / good to know. Thanks.
How many yotes did you take today, 17?
(ha, you take out more than I can imagine!)

Very interesting / good to know. Thanks.
How many yotes did you take today, 17?
(ha, you take out more than I can imagine!)
I'm not really hunting much yet, so no I wasn't out today and actually don't plan to be for awhile. The fur is just starting to get prime. Another 2-3 weeks will make a big difference. I hit it hard after our deer gun season ends. I get out about 2 times per week during the winter season.

My best day/night last year was 18 by myself and 304 total for the winter so I had a good year. I shot that many in 36 days/nights of hunting, so I averaged 8.5 coyotes every time I went hunting. That is a lot of hunting but not compared to many people. The state I hunt in has a decent number of coyotes, but there are states with much higher concentrations. I drive 2+ hours each direction when I go hunt, so I only go when I can put in some time. The biggest secret to my success (besides 30+ of coyote hunting experience) is planning and working all year long with landowner relations to be able to access a lot of ground. I spend far more time scouting on my PC with Google Earth than I do actual hunting. Before ever leaving my house, I have the exact path I plan to drive, where my truck will be parked at each stand, and the exact spot I will be set up for each stand. If the wind is forecast to be variable or changing, I will have an alternate calling location marked for the opposite wind direction just in case. This is all on my phone with the OnXmap app.

Thank you for the review. I’ll be purchasing my first thermal in a week or so and this is high on the list. It would be nice to see some comparisons between it and the thermions 2’s (also on my list) in the future from owners.

Got some trash compression doing the slow-mo bit, and the recorded video doesn't do it justice but I thought this was neat anyway. Can watch subsonic blackout rounds go down-range.

Getting more tempting by the day. Thinking of selling off my helion 2 xp50 and going with one of these as the scanner/buddy unit