• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Besides 22's , what are some other Hobbies? Just thought I'd ask.

Shooter_X

Pardon me. Would you care for some Grey Poupon?
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Here's one of mine. Of course there are other things too, like knives, Animals, Chess and whatnot, but this is one of my main passions.
I tend to like things that can kill you. I've been riding race bikes since I was in my teens. Today I own a Kawasaki ZX14R and a Ducati Panigale 1199. Im about to get out on the 14 in a few minutes and meet my little brother for lunch. You know , get some lunch, watch the ball game, have fun getting there.

On a side note, the ammo giveaway is still active. I have two people that I have committed to sending a couple boxes each.
Anyways, I'm out for the afternoon.

Be well,
T.S.
zx14r.jpg

me and bikes.jpg

After riding my Harley Roadster it is ham radio. Have been active for 60 years. I still cannot believe I am past 70. Just want to know where the time went!
At one time I did crew. I competed all over the East Coast, from Boston to DC. Then the body gave out, especially the elbows and ankles. The ankles have been rebuilt with screws & pins. Now to keep from becoming fat I bicycle a lot. I am now a fat old man at 143 pounds & lost 2 inches in height.

Maxwell

These days it's the challenge of precision loading and shooting and seeing if I'll ever get a factory gun to shoot in the 1's.

When younger, it was golf and seeing if I could get my handicap to zero, or at least to say in the single digits. Also, I like working on my muscle car (like my 1966 Chevelle SS):
download.jpg

Then in 1974 during the period of gas lines and shorteges and not enough to run muscle cars . . . converting a 1972 Pinto into a turbocharged 300 HP screamer than not only could keep up with the likes of Vetts and Porsche 911S's but could corner almost as well:

hobby car (turocharged with suspension upgrade) 1975 Jul.jpg

hobby car (turocharged is the future) 1975 Jul.jpg

Soooo much fun raising eyebrows where people couldn't believe what an ugly little car with a 4 cylinder engine could do.

What else do I enjoy doing in my spare time besides shooting rimfire? I do what everyone else here does,......Buy more ammo!!!

Other than spending as much time with my daughters as I can (before they graduate high school in the next feyears I spend all my time training for and racing endurance mountain bikes (100K, 100 mile, 12 & 24 hour solo events). I have been racing single speeds the last 10 years but am thinking about mixing in some racing on a geared bike.

I occasionally get on the top of the podium, if not I’m usually mixing it up with the lead pack.
My girls crewed for me on this 12 hour, my most favorite race ever having them there to hand me bottles for 12 hours!
738C77EB-C86D-42B8-BB80-0228A457C5A6.jpeg

E5F39EEB-460B-4F45-BE7C-9814A145A0AF.jpeg

FF91CEC3-476E-4BAD-AE5B-37EFE1A287E1.jpeg

Just finished a solo 24 hour race, 1st Place overall with my girls who showed up to surprise me on my last lap!
CAB1ED32-A5BC-4498-B6E5-8F2149F1ECB3.jpeg

E19B0FB6-2B83-423E-94DE-A630C5CA7578.jpeg

A4538037-6CE8-4B2F-A0D8-E1169B889C13.jpeg

Attachments

• 672B079E-EE5A-4E62-B417-8F6F721C98E9.jpeg
    672B079E-EE5A-4E62-B417-8F6F721C98E9.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 20
I've got LOTS of different hobbies other than .22LR....

223....6mm...6.5....30-30....308....300....9mm....38...357....40....10mm....44....45....20 ga....12ga

IPSC....3-gun....PPC....Action Pistol.....PRS

And sometimes I like to shoot prairie dogs or go squirrel hunting when I'm not enjoying one of my other hobbies.

I think I'm a pretty well rounded guy with lots of different interests.

After I endo'ed my GSXR1000 at approx 150 mph due to a front brake malfunction at track day (brake not working with lever fully depressed then suddenly coming back full on) I decided that that accident and foreseeing a future felony speeding ticket coming my way, was reason enough to sell my cycles. I was going 185 when it was time to start braking for the sweeper. By the grace of God I only received minor injuries plus a broken bone in my hand, recipient of a miracle for sure!

Yep I like all kinds of shooting sports but a mainstay has been Field Target air rifle matches. Here's this weekends match report with plenty of pics. https://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/2019-founders-cup-match-report.html My 35 year old daughter has really taken to the sport lately and landed a sponsorship this summer.
On that note I was hitting a 289Y 7" diamond steel with a 30 caliber PCP air rifle using 44 grain pellets! Amazing what a modern air rifle is capable of! Yesterday that same rifle put in 1.25" vertical at 100Y for 15 shots, 50 grain pellets at 850 fps. It's an American Air Arms EVOL, look it up.

How on earth you endurance racers get the energy to do what you do will always be a great mystery to me! I couldn't even run a 100Y dash without puking in high school, lol.

I really wish I had some type of artistic talent or some special gift but I'm not blessed with such.

After I endo'ed my GSXR1000 at approx 150 mph due to a front brake malfunction at track day (brake not working with lever fully depressed then suddenly coming back full on) I decided that that accident and foreseeing a future felony speeding ticket coming my way, was reason enough to sell my cycles. I was going 185 when it was time to start braking for the sweeper. By the grace of God I only received minor injuries plus a broken bone in my hand, recipient of a miracle for sure!

Yep I like all kinds of shooting sports but a mainstay has been Field Target air rifle matches. Here's this weekends match report with plenty of pics. https://www.airgunnersofarizona.org/2019-founders-cup-match-report.html My 35 year old daughter has really taken to the sport lately and landed a sponsorship this summer.
On that note I was hitting a 289Y 7" diamond steel with a 30 caliber PCP air rifle using 44 grain pellets! Amazing what a modern air rifle is capable of! Yesterday that same rifle put in 1.25" vertical at 100Y for 15 shots, 50 grain pellets at 850 fps. It's an American Air Arms EVOL, look it up.

How on earth you endurance racers get the energy to do what you do will always be a great mystery to me! I couldn't even run a 100Y dash without puking in high school, lol.

I really wish I had some type of artistic talent or some special gift but I'm not blessed with such.
Great write-up on that shoot Steve! I didn't realize airgunners were big outdoor match shooters as well. I'm used to the matches mostly being held indoors. Certainly not out in the wild! Still amazing shooters, but what a day to have that match!

Thanks Sandwarrior!

I've been shooting FT now for 24 years, time goes by fast. Lot's of long standing friendships in our club! We had the best weather this summer, didn't get rained out and the forest was not closed from fire danger threat, one day when it was windy but that just gives us more challenge. FT matches are different because we don't need eye or ear protection and the stage lanes are usually close enough that we can talk to our friends.

A third of us camp and make it a 4 day weekend on the weekend of the match. Along with the FT matches we have Silhouette matches to 70Y and invent different shooting games that we enjoy with a host of different air guns, so the weekend is full and really fun for us. Ha, it can even include silly things like throwing cans into the air and trying to hit them with RedRyder BB guns. I've found airgunners are very light hearted people and nice to be around.

The previous weekend some of us shot the Airguns of Arizona Extreme Benchrest Match. There were 5 different events including one called American FT, it's on steel out to 100Y with more powerful air rifles. On airgun nation forum there are a bunch of videos if you or others want to see what's going on with that event.

Me heading on my horse, Buster. This is about addictive as gun stuff.

View attachment 7167564
I've known ropers all my life and I can tell you they get addicted to it. I have a friend from High School, David Faught, who won a national title roping and two other friends son, Jade Corkill who won two titles in Vegas at the NFR. All I can do is sit back and watch, though, as I never cultivated any serious roping skills. At my age, the first thing I would do is lose a finger! lol (not funny if it really happened).

But yeah, it's a skill that fun to watch for me. And, I know the people doing it love it.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I used to have a motorcycle but ended up selling it because the season was too short when wearing all the gear. My other hobby is photography:

Attachments

• D19E3B43-E48D-4097-AD7E-86B57B3F07CA.jpeg
    D19E3B43-E48D-4097-AD7E-86B57B3F07CA.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 3FCE7798-733C-415A-BD73-B28B585CDEAF.jpeg
    3FCE7798-733C-415A-BD73-B28B585CDEAF.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 10ring1
Damn son, that wood work is amazing!

I have a tendency to take all my hobbies to the extreme. Once I feel like I have gone as far as possible I keep the hobby but move on to a new challenge. I went from shooting pistol, to competitive bodybuilding, to woodworking and now to gunsmith work and long range shooting. I will not post any of my bodybuilding pictures as I’m sure no one wants to see me in posing trunks ?. I shot pistol until I decided that unless I got a sponsor and shot full time I was about as far as I could go. The same with bodybuilding. I got to the point that unless I was willing to take drugs and destroy my body I could go any farther. With woodworking I was building the pieces pictured after about two years. As I tell everyone it isn’t rocket science and if I can teach myself by reading a few books anyone can do it with a little natural talent. Now I have moved on to focusing on shooting but still build furniture. After all I can’t spend 24/7 at the range. I have only been shooting long range rifle and PRS style 22 for about 9 months but have been learning a lot and improve with every match. How far I will go with shooting who knows. I am persistent though which has always worked in my favor.

I've known ropers all my life and I can tell you they get addicted to it. I have a friend from High School, David Faught, who won a national title roping and two other friends son, Jade Corkill who won two titles in Vegas at the NFR. All I can do is sit back and watch, though, as I never cultivated any serious roping skills. At my age, the first thing I would do is lose a finger! lol (not funny if it really happened).

But yeah, it's a skill that fun to watch for me. And, I know the people doing it love it.

I know that name - Jade Korkill, he's a heeler and one of the elite ropers. Ropes with Clay Tryan a lot. Yeah-I cut the tip of my thumb off many years ago. But there is still enough to wrap around a pistol grip ( or can of beer). I didn't start until I was 40 (late, late bloomer), now just the far side of 70 still roping and loving it.

Reactions: Cuzz
I used to golf and fish a lot but, after getting back into shooting a few years back they have been put on the back burner. All of my spare time and disposable income (with the exception of a couple nice vacations each year) go towards shooting these days and I don't see it letting up anytime soon.

I didn't realize that so many here do some of, or have done some of, the same things I do.
Thread has turned really interesting. I'd have never thought that Cuzz rode race bikes. I'm a big fan of the Honda gold wing as a all out cruiser that you can pack a couple pairs of pants and shirts and socks in, and head out for an entire weekend.

Or that Steve was into airgunning. Oh yeah I know the Evol. I had a .30 FX Boss. It was an accurate gun.

And Chuck with roping/heading. Cycling and all this other stuff.
You guys are extreme. Seriously.
Because of people like all of you who participated here, I really am fond of this forum.
Probably the only forum that I ever really liked.

Thank you , to all of you. Love reading and seeing stuff like this.
I've made a change here. I'm not gonna be the opinionated asshole anymore.
I'm done with that. I mean unless someone ( Kevin1) starts up with me.
As for the rest of it........I'm just not doing it anymore. I'm done man. I've come to like this place since I've become acquainted with some of you.

And you know what? It feels good.
Might even make a friend or three along the way.
Keep the stories coming. I'll read em. For sure.

T.S.

For me reined cowhorses and mountain bikes are my others. Building the new house I took a couple years off showing. Hoping to get back in the swing of things next year. Been riding the bikes with the kids a bunch lately, building a big ass pump track at the house now!

Reactions: jbell
I shoot benchrest air rifles at the same club I shoot rimfire. No PCP' though, 300 FWB's and a 601 FWB. I like to hunt and crappie fish in the winter. I like fooling with hot rods and do all my own fabricating, engines, transmissions and rear end set up.

The car below is my 69 Dart, it's a pump gas street/strip deal with a hefty small block, it's ran 6.40 @ 108.89 mph in the 1/8 and will run in the .30's.

smallest rerar dart.jpg

I’ve done it all. I fished the Bud Light Trail for a few years as well as any decent sized tournament I was off work for. lifted truck, 80,000 dollar boat with more electronics than the original moon landing, locker full if dobyns champion xtreme rods and JDM daiwa reels etc.

Golf was a major addiction for several years, private club, lessons constantly, 10-12 rounds per month until I realized all my back and shoulder problems Uncle Sam gifted me would never allow me to play consistently and the frustration made me quit. I could go for a round pain free with good flexibility and shoot an 80-82 on a tough course and 2 days later my back refused to rotate freely and I’d struggle to shoot under 100. After several years, it got too frustrating because I’m willing to work my ass off to be good at something but inconsistent results drive me Nuts.

Road cycling was big for me from 2015 to 2018. I pedaled my ass off. 250 miles a week in the warmer months and 150 or so in the colder ones. Had a nasty wreck late 2018 that separated my shoulder and it didn’t heal well and it dropped me down to being able to stay on the bike 15-20 miles max and my entire arm would be numb so I gave that up (and gained 25 lbs dammit).

Now, Harley audio. I’ve always had motorcycles but about a year ago I discovered if you’re creative and love to tinker (and hate having money) you can build an idiotic stereo system in a Harley. Current ride has 4 8’s, 4 6.5’s, and 4 horns. A digital sound processor, and 3,200 watts of power. It’s so freakin loud and clear it’s painful to listen to wide open but cool as shit to be able to roll down the interstate 8-10 hours a day playing music and hear every note with zero distortion and not even be halfway turned up.

4E0C234D-9FEA-45C9-A239-F30D92F580E6.jpeg

89508A2D-EE36-469C-AE54-40D6C9106847.jpeg

Besides shooting, been getting more guys around here into .22s, I have. Even flying rc planes for quite some time.

The win" Mrs. Behemoth " is a 5' wingspan wing with full gps and autonomous flight functions. Though typically fly manual most of the time. Really fun to fly out 5 or 6 miles exploring the country side.

My other love are gliders.....a 12' glider and a 1.5m discus launch glider. Most motors so need to find thermals to fly. No thermals....you dont fly for very long

Attachments

• 20190928_105348.jpg
    20190928_105348.jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190830_143610.jpg
    20190830_143610.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Does annoying folks who claim "all day long if I do my part" or "like a laser"
or "tack driver" and then post a single 5 shot group as proof, qualify as a hobby?

If it does, I'm golden. ;)

Tabletop gaming
Tell me more about that…

I really like film photography, especially rangefinders and square medium format. And especially especially instant photography.

Used to be into bikes. Here in MN there’s just not enough good weather, for me at least. I do see a Yamaha TW200 in my future someday. That thing just reminds me of rimfire, just stupid fun.

Those muscle cars, man, I wish I had one of those!

What a great question! I read this let this morning and found myself thinking about it all day about an appropriate answer. I like the one response above with all the calibers listed talking about being well-rounded LOL. That is me. I love to reload and shoot.
I like to do a lot of things such as hunting, riding bikes for pleasure, etc. I can't say that I have any passions other than shooting with the exception of my family. I work in healthcare and I'm passionate about my job and profession. But most of all I'm passionate about being the best husband and father I can be. All of my free time is devoted to my wife and four children to be the best husband and father i can be.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath