• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 100MPH Tape?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So when I joined the army way back when I learned about 100mph tape. I was given a roll of the shit, was SUPER sticky, not normal duct tape. Figured all 100mph tape was the same.

It's not. And I found it out the first time I went to replace it.

Now you'd think Clothing and Sales on an army post would have the shit, but they don't. They just have green or camo duct tape. Brigade or Quartermaster brand or some such. NOT the same thing, not even close. And I can't recall who made what I had. Over the years I bought a few different rolls, no joy.

I read an article in Military Times about it, guy mentioned "Green Nashua Tape manufactured by Covalence Adhesives". Well, Nashua and Covalence both make tape but they're not the same place so it' sorta confusing. It's gotta be one or the other. Then they both make different kinds, different numbers.

The stuff I'm looking for is AMAZINGLY sticky stuff, it's actually kinda difficult to unspool due to that fact. Makes a really loud ripping sound. It's also sorta stretchy compared to regular duct tape, making it sorta difficult to tear, and has sort of a sheen to it, not as dull as typical army tape. It's a darker green than OD. It's also thicker and heavier as I recall. Awesome stuff.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or where to find this stuff? Is it even made anymore?

I think I know the tape you’re talking about but no idea where to get it and haven’t seen it in stores.

Gorilla tape is my go to for duct tape these days. Kind of expensive but worth it.

So when I joined the army way back when I learned about 100mph tape. I was given a roll of the shit, was SUPER sticky, not normal duct tape. Figured all 100mph tape was the same.

It's not. And I found it out the first time I went to replace it.

Now you'd think Clothing and Sales on an army post would have the shit, but they don't. They just have green or camo duct tape. Brigade or Quartermaster brand or some such. NOT the same thing, not even close. And I can't recall who made what I had. Over the years I bought a few different rolls, no joy.

I read an article in Military Times about it, guy mentioned "Green Nashua Tape manufactured by Covalence Adhesives". Well, Nashua and Covalence both make tape but they're not the same place so it' sorta confusing. It's gotta be one or the other. Then they both make different kinds, different numbers.

The stuff I'm looking for is AMAZINGLY sticky stuff, it's actually kinda difficult to unspool due to that fact. Makes a really loud ripping sound. It's also sorta stretchy compared to regular duct tape, making it sorta difficult to tear, and has sort of a sheen to it, not as dull as typical army tape. It's a darker green than OD. It's also thicker and heavier as I recall. Awesome stuff.

Anyone know what I'm talking about or where to find this stuff? Is it even made anymore?

NSN 7510-00-266-5016

Copy/paste that into your search engine of choice.

Nashua company makes some great tapes, , weve used them in containment situations
    im not talking about there home owner stuff you see in home depot and lowes, they have a professional line thats good stuff

Bought a roll of TREX that I have been trying out. So far it is working well. It tears a nice straight tear which is nice. Don’t need to pull a blade to cut it. Seems to work well on cold surfaces so far.

Gorrilla tape
    I think I know the tape you’re talking about but no idea where to get it and haven’t seen it in stores.

Gorilla tape is my go to for duct tape these days. Kind of expensive but worth it.

I got some of this stuff today, mostly because it's black, to tape up a torn truck seat. It's not even close man.

NSN 7510-00-266-5016

Copy/paste that into your search engine of choice.
    I already know that. I'm just not sure that's the same stuff.

Nashua company makes some great tapes, , weve used them in containment situations
    im not talking about there home owner stuff you see in home depot and lowes, they have a professional line thats good stuff
    So they have the contract for that shit with the above NSN number I believe.

Reaper obviously knows what I'm talking about.

It's one of those things that you'd know if you'd ever used it. I've got rolls of "100mph tape" I got at Clothing and Sales so it's probably the correct NSN shit but again, not even close to the hardcore shit.

If anyone does know what it is, let me know.

I'll go dig around and see if I have a piece of the roll left somewhere and put a picture on here. I don't think there's any info on the roll or I'd have exploited that long ago.

All the newer stuff I've got a hold of or bought is shiny. The stuff I had from the end of the last millennium was fairly flat OD and would stay on until you cut it off. Still left an impossible residue that CIF would gig ya on.