• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best 1911 mags?

Re: Best 1911 mags?

I've used Wilson and Chip McCormick Power Mags and never had any issues with either.

Hit the search function. I'm sure there are a dozen posts on that and numerous differing opinions.

Edit: My bad. Thought I was on the 1911 forum where this comes up at least once a week. Sorry

Wilson, Tripp, Kim-Pro and CMC are the ones I've seen most recommended but not every gun likes every kind of mag so you buy one of whatever brand you decide to go with and test it before buying a bunch that may not work in your gun. Lots of opinions on "best".

I don't know about the 'best' ... I've always been partial to Cobra Mags by Tripp Research.

Trial and error to find whichever brand runs best with your 1911.

I've had issues with a few Wilson 47Ds and a CM 10rd Pwr Mags - granted a few years ago so there may be some minor design tweaks??? The odd thing is my ex W CQB 5" hated WC 47's - go figure.

I have been using Tripps with the hybrid follower, no issues. I also run Wilson 47D's that have proven to work well, as well as the factory mag(s).

Try Tripps, the new WC Tact Elite, DL Sports new 1911 mags (DLSPORTS.COM), Metalform, 47D's, ACT, Novak.

I would guess there are a few 1911 shooters in your area that would be more than willing to let you run a few rounds through their mags. Just an idea.

May want to check out 1911forums. Although you'll get the same names and those listed here and the above posts. Also, may want to post what you have coming - since experienced shooters with your new setup could save you a step or two and some $$.

imo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolf22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trial and error to find whichever brand runs best with your 1911.

I've had issues with a few Wilson 47Ds and a CM 10rd Pwr Mags - granted a few years ago so there may be some minor design tweaks??? The odd thing is my ex W CQB 5" hated WC 47's - go figure.

I have been using Tripps with the hybrid follower, no issues. I also run Wilson 47D's that have proven to work well, as well as the factory mag(s).

Try Tripps, the new WC Tact Elite, DL Sports new 1911 mags (DLSPORTS.COM), Metalform, 47D's, ACT, Novak.

I would guess there are a few 1911 shooters in your area that would be more than willing to let you run a few rounds through their mags. Just an idea.

May want to check out 1911forums. Although you'll get the same names and those listed here and the above posts. Also, may want to post what you have coming - since experienced shooters with your new setup could save you a step or two and some $$.

imo </div></div>

Thanks for the insight. These are for a Cylinder & Slide model CSP 801. Which is a modified Springfield Mil-Spec.

Chip McCormick Shooting Star and Wilson Combat. Either will work fine. Or at least mine do.

Novak and ACT mags are the same, and at least for me using Yost custom & Ed Brown 45s the feed lips all cracked. Once jamming the Ed Brown so bad in a class the slide was locked back and the mag would not come out without prying out the top round with a screwdriver, not cool if you're using the pistol to save your life. Only run Wilson ETMs in the fullsize & 47s in the Officer; have not had a mag related problem since I switched 2 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Novak and ACT mags are the same, and at least for me using Yost custom & Ed Brown 45s the feed lips all cracked. Once jamming the Ed Brown so bad in a class the slide was locked back and the mag would not come out without prying out the top round with a screwdriver, not cool if you're using the pistol to save your life. Only run Wilson ETMs in the fullsize & 47s in the Officer; have not had a mag related problem since I switched 2 years ago. </div></div>

I roll with Wilson ETMs now; although I have a ton of their standard mags and CMCs. Did you have an extractor problem where your empty case was dragged through the feed lips on the last round? That's definitely a show stopper! Happened to me at about 6k through my 1911. If you want to own and SHOOT your 1911 much you have to learn about them. Check out the 10-8 forums, they have mag recommendations(and ammo) for 1911s. Tripp cobra mags are highly regarded. A convex follower will keep you from having the problem w/ the last casing being drug through the feed lips if your extractor is losing it's tension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used Wilson and Chip McCormick Power Mags and never had any issues with either. </div></div>

Same. I have 2 Wilson 47Ds and 6 CMC PowerMags (8 rd) and I've been using them for years.

I have used 2 CMC 10 rounders they have now been shit canned. Both caused 2 different 1911s to jam I would stay away from chips stuff. Wilson is all I use now.

Wilson combat mags are my favorite but there are other good ones.. One thing to consider.. Sometimes it's not just the mags fault if it does not feed well. Some 1911's need different springs.. Some need other work done to improve... Experiment with your weapon.. Find what works, don't get disheartened if it has a few issues from time to time, just adress the issues. Break in is important. How much it's lubed is important... Ask questions when something keeps happening. There is a wealth of info on this site for 1911's because many of us have them....SmokeRolls

Trial and error, some guns will run with any mag some guns like one mag more than others.

However, good places to start: Wilson 47D, ETM (I personally have had better overall luck with the old 47D than the ETM's), Tripp mags, Chip McCormmack mags. I really like the Tripp mags.

If your 1911 won't run solid with one of those 3, it's not the mag!

Thanks again guys. I am sure you have saved me years of experimenting.

It looks like the Tripp Cobra mags are what I should be getting. I am going to order 4 of those, and maybe 2 wilson 47 or ETM's just to compare.

+1 on the Wilson 47D mags. Also the Chip McCormick mags. I've shot with the Wilson and Chip McCormick mags. and Kimber mags. The Kimber mags. have gave me problems right now one of them will not even seat in the mag well.

I will stick with the Wilson's and Chip's from now on.

Supernt -

if you do go with the Tripps and the they don't function in your gun. send me a PM

I'll take em (if you get the 8R-45 RG's....).

Either way, they should work well for you.

Still good to check out the 1911 forums. 10-8, etc.

I've got the McCormicks and never had any problems with them.
Others may be just as good though.

Good Luck
JMC

I wished I had back all the money I've spent " testing " magazines. Colt factory 7 rounders are the standard by which all other magazines are judged by. Here are some results based on my experiences. Chip McCormicks. Stout mag body, great mag base, followers failed after 3500 rounds each. Wilson ETM. Decent mag with some minor and occasional ftf issues. Wilson 47d with Wilson updated mag spring. Have one that has been carried loaded for last 7 months with zero issues. Tripp Cobra. Have two. One magazine spring failed to lock slide back after 5 months. Both magazines kept loaded 24/7. The other has performed without fail for last 7 months. My favorite mag without question ? Tripp Cobras with the Wilson 47d being a very close 2nd. What about the Tripp that failed ? Sent in and Tripp sent back a new one free of charge. Wilson mags are warrantied for life and I have tested that warranty. Tripps, I'm not sure of warranty. All I know, if you have a problem Virgil Tripp will take care of it. PDQ Pronto.

Thanks again guys. I received my C&S 1911, just waiting on my Tripp mags. Unbeleivable trigger BTW.

My Wilson Combat 8rd mags wouldn't hold the slide back. I was going to buy some better springs for them,but in the meantime, I stretched the spring. Seemed to work fine after that and I haven't changed the spring out. A while back I filled them to capacity to see if they'd take a set. Haven't got around to shooting them yet.

My Chip McCormick shooting star mags have always worked well. Same with their 10rd "party" mag.

Always wanted to try the Tripp cobra mag. Haven't had a chance to buy any.

I have about 10,000 rounds in the last two years through my 6 tripp mags.

Original springs and followers. Thousands of partially loaded and empty drops on concrete/rock/dirt/mud. In USPSA, IDPA, and tactical matches.

Even managed to drop kick them a few times while moving to a new shooting position....always fun to see them go zinging 30 feet through the air and smash into a concrete wall.

Not a single failure.

I ran McCormick mags and wilson the year before I bought the Tripp. The McCormicks old style follower failed e quickly and would work its way out of the mag...especially with being dropped on concrete.
the Wilson follower just plain worn out after a few thousand rounds...its plastic and wouldn't lock the gun back because it got worn.

The Magazine is such a critical component in the 1911 it makes no sense to try and save a few bucks by going with something cheap

Anyone familiar with Tripp's AR-15 magazines? I see they have 42 and 52 rd capacity mags, anyone seen one of these? I am wondering if it uses a regular anti-tilt follower or if its some special setup. Think I might be able to squeeze around 20rd of .458 Socom into one of those mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used Wilson and Chip McCormick Power Mags and never had any issues with either. </div></div>

+1

I use Wilson 47Ds exclusively in my Kimbers and Wilson Combats. I have had no problems. YMMV Good luck with your 1st 45 ACP. Probably won't be your last! They are addicting.

I use to use the WC 47D and they performed well. About a year ago I tried the ETM and of the two I like the ETM better. The 47D is a 7rd mag that has a modified spring and follower to make it hold 8rds. The ETM is a a true 8rd mag. The ETM seats easier and with less force than the 47D (with the slide closed or a rd chambered). With that being said I would like to try the Tripp mags. They have a longer body than the 47D but the mag body fits into the bumber pad so overall length is very similar. Additionally, I like the hybrid follower.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supernt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best 1911 mags? </div></div>

The ones that work in YOUR 1911, period. Wilson's are great, but don't run for crap in some 1911's, same goes for all the other brands. Tripp's will<span style="font-style: italic"> usually </span>run in any 1911, but for the price they should (and pleasure you sexually as well).

My experience-old CMC shooting star 8 rounders that have good springs will work well in every 1911 I've had (Colt, SA's, Kimber, Remington Rand, etc). They are my favorites as far as cost/value goes.

My Kimber loves Wilson and Sig mags. For simple use at the range I have a bunch of Chip's, but I have had a couple hiccups with them.