• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

best 20-22 inch barrel for 308 hunting rig

iklwa

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
up in the hills
I know this subjects prbably been covered meny times .Did a search and couldt find anything.
Thinking of putting a new hunting rig together.My AI is too heavy to carry.
Was thinking a 1:12 20-22 in. barrel for Shooting 150-165 gr. bullets.
Any recommendations for barrels?

Re: best 20-22 inch barrel for 308 hunting rig

I'd suggest a Rock 5R 20" with around a #5 Sporter contour. You don't need any longer than a 20" for most practical hunting applications with a 308 Win and 2" less barrel will save on weight for dragging around the woods.

An AI is too heavy to carry, say it ain't so......

However, as to your question:

I have used, Krieger, Hart & PacNor in the past with compete satisfaction. There are other good barrel makers as well, that I have not used.

As to twist try 1-11 or 1-10 rather than 1-12 if for no other reason, if you want to go up in bullet weight to a good 210 grain Bergers, then at least a 1-11 will let you play there, without compromising the lighter weight accuracy.

Also if light weight is your goal, consider fluting.

Bob

Are you wanting a lightweight rifle? If so, skip the #5 and go to something like a #2 contour (or a #1 if Pacnor, as their contours run heavy).

yup as light as i can get it without compromise.Tired of opeing up my toybox and trying to decide between an AI or TRG.Makes it feel like im at work!!
Looking to shoot out to about 350 to 400 yards and its only going to be used for hunting.
Thanks for the help boys!

Im liking the 1:11 BobinNC. Be good to be able to send some weight downline if need be.

I agree with BobinNC....I just finished my first build with a Stiller Tac 30 and a Rock Creek 5R with 1:11.25 twist. So far it shoots 150, 155, 168, 178 and I plan on trying some 208 A-max next. As far as accuracy, the 168's came in at .244 and the 178's came in at .188. I am really happy with my first try at this custom stuff......now I am trying to decide what to build next.