• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best $2000-$3000 CAD scope?

Which scope

• Kahles

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • NF

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

YnB14

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2022
Alberta
Hey guys I’ve been going down the optics wormhole for a bit and I’m ready to put this to bed. I’m looking for scope recommendations for my new build. I’m getting a 6cm done up that’s going in an ACC elite as soon as the lefty versions are released. It’s going to be used at the range (800m max) and varmint hunting and the odd hunt which I’ll get it rebarreled for, no PRS or comps. I’m wanting something that’s FFP and MRAD.

I keep coming back to the NX8 4-32 and the Kahles 6-24. Anything else I should consider?

Not sure if this place is more expensive or not but it’s at the top of your limit but look at the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 also. Excellent optic.

Reactions: Stoweit
Zeiss LRP 4-25
Leica PRS 5-30
Bushnell XRS 6-36
Or stretch your budget to a
Used Burris XTR Pro
Used ATACR

Thanks guys, the Leica is almost 4000 here but the Zeiss and the XTR pro are both around the 3000 mark so I’ll look into those as well.

Thanks guys, the Leica is almost 4000 here but the Zeiss and the XTR pro are both around the 3000 mark so I’ll look into those as well.
I think I paid 2800$ cad for my Leica .... was a big glass upgrade over the Razor Gen 2 that it replaced.

Hey guys I’ve been going down the optics wormhole for a bit and I’m ready to put this to bed. I’m looking for scope recommendations for my new build. I’m getting a 6cm done up that’s going in an ACC elite as soon as the lefty versions are released. It’s going to be used at the range (800m max) and varmint hunting and the odd hunt which I’ll get it rebarreled for, no PRS or comps. I’m wanting something that’s FFP and MRAD.

I keep coming back to the NX8 4-32 and the Kahles 6-24. Anything else I should consider?
Kahles K624i is a beast. You will love that scope, especially if you get one of the Gen3 models with the SKMR4 reticle. I have 2 of them.

IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_7650.jpeg
IMG_7647.jpeg

The Zeiss LRP S3 is also a great option.

Kahles is shitty for the price. You can do much better for less. Hard to know what prices are up there and devalued CAD.

I would also steer clear of the nx8. Get an ATACR or don't waste money on a NF.

Burris xtr 3, mk5, xrs3 pick one with the reticle you like the best.

Gen 3 razor the the best value out there for new. I would take an xtr3 or mk5 over a gen 2 razor if price is similar.

Used, you can't beat a minox zp5, but long warranty timeliness needs to be taken into consideration.

You could always drive/fly down to a border state and help with our tourism.

I think I paid 2800$ cad for my Leica .... was a big glass upgrade over the Razor Gen 2 that it replaced.
I wish it was still at that price. It’s around 3900 now.
Kahles is shitty for the price. You can do much better for less. Hard to know what prices are up there and devalued CAD.

Gen 3 razor the the best value out there for new. I would take an xtr3 or mk5 over a gen 2 razor if price is similar.

Used, you can't beat a minox zp5, but long warranty timeliness needs to be taken into consideration.

I’ll check into the Xtr3 and XRS3 as well, the gen 3 razor is around 4600 here.

Ya it might be worth while taking a trip to Montana.

What about the apex rival. Made in Canada and seems pretty awesome from initial reports. I’m wanting to try one out.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Yeah, ok… 🤣

You’ve admittedly stated that you’ve managed to fuck up every brand of optic on the planet, so I’m thinking it’s not safe to take optics advice from someone who can’t even properly operate a scope without breaking it.
Just let it go man. I don’t understand why you always get so defensive when someone disagrees with you. You did the same stuff with the Arken threads.

I do not usually ever agree with DeathbeforeDismount, but on the Kahles comment I do.

I think there are better options than Kahles at their NIB price. If you can pick one up around $1600 then That’s a good price.

Everyone has there own opinion. It’s great that we have this many options.

Reactions: TheSunPope
Yeah, ok… 🤣

You’ve admittedly stated that you’ve managed to fuck up every brand of optic on the planet, so I’m thinking it’s not safe to take optics advice from someone who can’t even properly operate a scope without breaking it.
You are a joke. You think everything you have owned in your very limited expereince and sample size (which is comical considering you suck Kahles and Arken dick) is the greatest ever.

Some of us have owned just about everything out there over the last 20 or so years. This gives us perspective, that ignorant people like you do not have.

Use any brand or product long enough, you will have issues. I may even have an issue with one of my ZCO, but i need to do some more testing before deciding to send it back or not. If you actually ran your gear instead of your mouth, maybe you would find some issues too.

People here have forgot more about this shit than you will ever know.

The only people who still shoot Kahles that we see at matches, are people sponsored by them. Everyone else who had used them at one time in the last 5-6 years, has moved on to something else. If the 6-24 was so great, they would have bought a 5-25. Except they realized its a side or downgrade from the gen 3's with many having worse glass or terrible CA. So much so they had to scramble to release the updated one that cost $500 more just to have glass on par with a Razor Gen 3 that can be had for $1500 less.

Its amazing how the best sport optics manufacture in the world from a glass perspective (Swaro) can fuck up a Kahles so bad.

I beat the shit out of my original Cronus and it’s still in my rotation. Was an incredible deal at 900$ back in the days.

Reactions: NewsShooter
You are a joke. You think everything you have owned in your very limited expereince and sample size (which is comical considering you suck Kahles and Arken dick) is the greatest ever.

Some of us have owned just about everything out there over the last 20 or so years. This gives us perspective, that ignorant people like you do not have.

Use any brand or product long enough, you will have issues. I may even have an issue with one of my ZCO, but i need to do some more testing before deciding to send it back or not. If you actually ran your gear instead of your mouth, maybe you would find some issues too.

People here have forgot more about this shit than you will ever know.

The only people who still shoot Kahles that we see at matches, are people sponsored by them. Everyone else who had used them at one time in the last 5-6 years, has moved on to something else. If the 6-24 was so great, they would have bought a 5-25. Except they realized its a side or downgrade from the gen 3's with many having worse glass or terrible CA. So much so they had to scramble to release the updated one that cost $500 more just to have glass on par with a Razor Gen 3 that can be had for $1500 less.

Its amazing how the best sport optics manufacture in the world from a glass perspective (Swaro) can fuck up a Kahles so bad.
That’s funny you think I’m new to this, or that I haven’t owned probably as much different shit as you have, I just know what works, and it’s not always a $5,000 ZCO or TT. 🤣 You’re the joke dude. You think buying better equipment won’t mean that you still suck at shooting. Oh, and there will always be people who know more about everything, than someone else, and you’re not it. 😂

The Gen3 K624i is only $2,699…That’s less than a Razor Gen3 by a long shot. And the Gen3 K624i has the same new glass & coatings that are in the K525 and K318. None of my 4 Kahles scopes have ANY chromatic aberration…Including an old Helia KX. The fact you even say that proves you know jack-shit about Kahles, other than internet rumors and conjecture.

And no, I don’t think everything I own is the best, I know most things I own are not, and some are far from it. He asked for a recommendation in his price range, and even mentioned the Kahles first. You’re the one who’s fragile ego can’t handle you not owning the best or most expensive, and then feeling the need to go around telling everyone else that what they own is shit, in an attempt to distract yourself from your own inferiority complex.

Money doesn’t buy skills.

That’s funny you think I’m new to this, or that I haven’t owned probably as much different shit as you have, I just know what works, and it’s not always a $5,000 ZCO or TT. 🤣 You’re the joke dude. You think buying better equipment won’t mean that you still suck at shooting. Oh, and there will always be people who know more about everything, than someone else, and you’re not it. 😂

The Gen3 K624i is only $2,699…That’s less than a Razor Gen3 by a long shot. And the Gen3 K624i has the same new glass & coatings that are in the K525 and K318. None of my 4 Kahles scopes have ANY chromatic aberration…Including an old Helia KX. The fact you even say that proves you know jack-shit about Kahles, other than internet rumors and conjecture.

And no, I don’t think everything I own is the best, I know most things I own are not, and some are far from it. He asked for a recommendation in his price range, and even mentioned the Kahles first. You’re the one who’s fragile ego can’t handle you not owning the best or most expensive, and then feeling the need to go around telling everyone else that what they own is shit, in an attempt to distract yourself from your own inferiority complex.

Money doesn’t buy skills.
First of all, Name a PRS 2 day match and we can meet. Loser pays for the others Trip. I am sure we can find a 3rd party to escrow.

Second, the K624 MSRP was lowered to 2500 so it could meet PRS production. Then the raised it to 3K last year. You can buy a brand new gen 3 razor for $2400 from a ton of places today. If you get a EO cert that are damn near free, it drops down to $2100. Note used K624I you cant hardly give them away, even at 1800. Used Gen 3 is going for 2400+ here on the hide. You act like I am the only one who knows about Kahles glass issues. It was bad in both my gen 1 and gen 3 624. It is bad in the 525 I have looked through. It was much better in the DSR or whatever upgraded $3600 model, but at the price you can get a used ZCO or TT that blows it out of the water. Hell you can get a used Minox ZP5 for 2-2.3k and it smoked the Kahles too.

Poor people always say shit like money doesnt buy skills or happiness. No one claimed it did, but its living rent free in your head becuase you need to tell yourself its ok to run inferior cheap shit. Its not about money its about quality and value.

Look at some of the Burris options like XTRIII or PRO as well

The Cronus as mentioned is a decent optic. Mine was on par glass wise with my NF ATACR. The NF ATACR are built like a tank in comparison though

If he buys a scope in the US he wouldnt be able to warranty it in canada if he needs too. If he sends it in they take it because it wasnt shipped to can from kales to a dealer.

Might not with kahles but i know its happened with a s&b pmii. I got this info from a dealer.
A dealer trying to protect their market. Stolen military equipment would be the only reasonable true story.

Some of the prices you guys are throwing around are unicorn farts up here in Canada.

If op goes to 3500ish he’s be able to get a used 5-25 Schmidt pmii

Apex are not made in Canada

Last edited:
If you’re looking at 2000-3000 Canadian then give the apex rival a go! Support a Canadian company and lands in your price. The nx8 comes in 600 dollars higher and the Kahles is higher yet again. Ive been very pleased with mi e

Reactions: Simonsza1
For real. No manufacture is going to STEAL someone's property. They may not warranty is the same due to different laws and regs In each country but they aren't stealing it.

If you’re looking at 2000-3000 Canadian then give the apex rival a go! Support a Canadian company and lands in your price. The nx8 comes in 600 dollars higher and the Kahles is higher yet again. Ive been very pleased with mi e
Yea apex....another company to add to the list of dozens that don't actually make anything, just import from Asia. Might as well buy a vortex, Burris, bushnel or NF if that's what you want. They will atleast be around in 5 or 10 years if you have an issue.

Yea apex....another company to add to the list of dozens that don't actually make anything, just import from Asia. Might as well buy a vortex, Burris, bushnel or NF if that's what you want. They will atleast be around in 5 or 10 years if you have an issue.
I hope Apex takes off. It's good for us Canucks to have an option we can deal directly with.
They are gaining traction up here for sure.

Well to each their own, I’m just recommending a product in his price range that’s available in Canada at a fair price. They are becoming very popular up here with them being in the top 3 used optic in my last 3 matchs.

I’m going to see if my work will chip in towards the scope for me. Is there anything at the $4000 mark that’s really worth the extra money, maybe a ZP5 with the MR4?

I’m going to see if my work will chip in towards the scope for me. Is there anything at the $4000 mark that’s really worth the extra money, maybe a ZP5 with the MR4?
IMO, no. Once a scopes gets above the $3K mark, the law of diminishing returns becomes much more prevalent the higher the price goes.

Some will argue about how this or that makes their dick feel bigger because it cost this or that much more... But facts are, once you get into the alpha-tier of optics and prices start getting above $3,000 (USD) there's not a whole lot of room left to upgrade things.

Reactions: Taylorbok
If it’s for “work” I’d take a look at NF Atacr over a NX8. If you go NF route. The 4-16X42 is a great optic

If it’s for “work” I’d take a look at NF Atacr over a NX8. If you go NF route. The 4-16X42 is a great optic

It won’t be used for work but some like a lot of ppl recommend the ATACR over the NX8. Seem to have it narrowed down to the ATACR, ZP5, LRP S3.

It won’t be used for work but some like a lot of ppl recommend the ATACR over the NX8. Seem to have it narrowed down to the ATACR, ZP5, LRP S3.
I would definitely recommend atacr over NX8. It’s just playing in a different $ bracket. When you said work I was assuming LE or similar. Which for me reliability would be my main concern

I’m not sure what your prices are where you’re at but $4k pushes into ZCO and near TT pricing here in US. Which is definitely in the Alpha bracket

If not used for work and just casual shooting needs then I’d go NF ATACR 7-35 Mil XT in the NF category. Or look at ZCO for just slightly more

I would add based on your first post here. It’s definitely not a “need” for you though

I would definitely recommend atacr over NX8. It’s just playing in a different $ bracket. When you said work I was assuming LE or similar. Which for me reliability would be my main concern

I’m not sure what your prices are where you’re at but $4k pushes into ZCO and near TT pricing here in US. Which is definitely in the Alpha bracket

If not used for work and just casual shooting needs then I’d go NF ATACR 7-35 Mil XT in the NF category. Or look at ZCO for just slightly more

I would add based on your first post here. It’s definitely not a “need” for you though

ZCO is around $5500 here and TT is $6500. The ATACR is around $4000 same as the ZP5 whereas the Zeiss is $3000. Ya it’s absolutely not a need, the rifle is just being built for casual shooting and varmint primarily.

ZCO is around $5500 here and TT is $6500. The ATACR is around $4000 same as the ZP5 whereas the Zeiss is $3000. Ya it’s absolutely not a need, the rifle is just being built for casual shooting and varmint primarily.
Damn!

Check out a Burris XTRIII 5.5-30 as well. They make illuminated and non. Give you lots of extra $ for ammo or other accessories

Can find for $1300 here. So probably $7,000 there 😁

Damn!

Check out a Burris XTRIII 5.5-30 as well. They make illuminated and non. Give you lots of extra $ for ammo or other accessories

Can find for $1300 here. So probably $7,000 there 😁

Hah they’re $2300 here, everything else is pretty top of the line in the build so I feel compelled to put something better than a Burris, Cronus etc on it but maybe I’m just being a dumbass with that logic. Feel free to change my mind.

Reactions: hafejd30
You will not regret the Zeiss LRP S3. They are amazing scopes, and a whole lot of scope for the money. My local shop has a few, and I've spent plenty of time looking through them. The only reason I haven't bought one from them yet, is because they don't have any MIL versions. They did, but they sold out before I had the money. But I haven't checked in a few weeks, so I might give them a call tomorrow and see if they do. If they do, I'll pick one up to add to the top-tier scope collection.

Hah they’re $2300 here, everything else is pretty top of the line in the build so I feel compelled to put something better than a Burris, Cronus etc on it but maybe I’m just being a dumbass with that logic. Feel free to change my mind.
You can never go wrong buying the best upfront if it’s what you truly want. Doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t get by with cheaper but if you start with cheaper just to upgrade later it just cost more $$ for what you upgraded to in the end

Otherwise if Burris/Cronus etc is the best you can afford now then buy that and upgrade when you find the $$ to. Also gives you a chance to see what features of a scope actually matter to you down the road

Get the Zeiss and spend the rest on ammo. You will have an excellent scope and not have to shell out anymore money.

If you go to a match or one of your bigger stores to get your hands on some of these? We’ve had a few zp5’s and minox lr go down in some matches. Glass is great but have seen a few issues.

The atacr has its bullet proof reputation for a reason and is worth the price difference over the nx8. I’ve spent a little time with the new element Theo’s as well and it’s a really really sweet optic in the 3400-3600 range in Canada.

Diminishing returns really kick in passed Cronus price range, anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
The Apex is a nice scope, has some stuff I like and some I don’t but lots of that is preference and doesn’t apply to everyone.
Once the new ZCO with 10mil/rev turrets hits Canada that’ll be on my shopping list

Diminishing returns really kick in passed Cronus price range, anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.
The Apex is a nice scope, has some stuff I like and some I don’t but lots of that is preference and doesn’t apply to everyone.
Once the new ZCO with 10mil/rev turrets hits Canada that’ll be on my shopping list
I’m assuming the 15mil/rev is what you don’t like on the apex if your waiting for that on the zco as well.

For rimfire the 15 mil is awesome but It definitely took a minute to get use too. Centerfire it’s just not needed

Reactions: Simonsza1
I’m assuming the 15mil/rev is what you don’t like on the apex if your waiting for that on the zco as well.

For rimfire the 15 mil is awesome but It definitely took a minute to get use too. Centerfire it’s just not needed
It was my only hold up on not buying a ZCO. That’s lots of money for an optic too not get precisely what you want.

There’s a few things about the Apex The 15/rev is one, but it also makes the .1 marks so close together they are hard to read at a glance. Also not sure why they went with a triangle for the indicator mark, a line would be much better.
The clicks could be firmer for sure but they might wear in.
I’m not a fan of the set screws to set zero.
The 2nd rev indicator comes up an entire mil early, it’s a cool feature but if it doesn’t work proper it’s pretty much useless and it also limits the travel to 29.5 mils.

The glass is great and so is the reticle. The diopter adjustment is much better than most. The throw lever and sunshade included is nice.

Right now I’d choose a Cronus over the Apex but that might change with time

It was my only hold up on not buying a ZCO. That’s lots of money for an optic too not get precisely what you want.

There’s a few things about the Apex The 15/rev is one, but it also makes the .1 marks so close together they are hard to read at a glance. Also not sure why they went with a triangle for the indicator mark, a line would be much better.
The clicks could be firmer for sure but they might wear in.
I’m not a fan of the set screws to set zero.
The 2nd rev indicator comes up an entire mil early, it’s a cool feature but if it doesn’t work proper it’s pretty much useless and it also limits the travel to 29.5 mils.

The glass is great and so is the reticle. The diopter adjustment is much better than most. The throw lever and sunshade included is nice.

Right now I’d choose a Cronus over the Apex but that might change with time

Fair enough! When spending that kind of money you better get exactly what you want. That was the common issue with the TT and their reticles until they dropped there new one.

as far as apex goes They must of listened to some complaints because there latest runs have slightly different turrets as far as feel goes. Significantly more positive but super smooth! A huge improvement over my first one. The rev indicator is also much more pronounced which I like.

The set screws to zero doesn’t bother me but tooless is obviously so much nicer! They are also coming with a 10 mil turret shortly as I guess that was there most asked for feedback which will be awesome. The spacing will be so much easier to read: myself being primarily a rimfire shooter I don’t know if I’ll switch as 15 mils is perfect as it gets me past 300 in one rev and our matches have targets feom 75-350.

as far as apex goes They must of listened to some complaints because there latest runs have slightly different turrets as far as feel goes. Significantly more positive but super smooth! A huge improvement over my first one. The rev indicator is also much more pronounced which I like.

The set screws to zero doesn’t bother me but tooless is obviously so much nicer! They are also coming with a 10 mil turret shortly as I guess that was there most asked for feedback which will be awesome. The spacing will be so much easier to read:
Mines brand new like got it this week so it should be latest revision. Wish I’d have known about the 10 mil turrets I’d have waited probably, should have done more research. Oh well