• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .22 LR bang for the buck?

earthtrekker1775

The Prodigal Gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
PNW
Didn't really want to clog up the forum with another "What rifle should I buy" thread, but...

I have $700 max to put into a .22 LR project. I have spent most of my rimfire shooting days behind Ruger 10/22 models and want to try something different. I would like to hear some ideas about very good shooting, reliable, well-built .22 bolt or single shot rifles, new or used that I could get at that price point. If I can't find a suitable rifle I may end up getting a Ruger Bisley .22 single action revolver for fun.

What I want: Bolt or single shot, must have open sights, accurate, "normal" stock setup, ie. no schuetzen, biathalon or other wild configurations. After I decide and find the right one I will post pics and range results.

I appreciate your input and suggestions, however, I already know how to use the search function - thank you.

Re: Best .22 LR bang for the buck?

I bought a savage trr-sr about a month ago and have been very impressed with it. I never thought I would be able to hit something at 455 yards with a .22 but I've been shooting a steel idpa target very consistently with it. I put a primary arms 4-16x44 scope on some Burris extreme rings shooting just remington subsonic ammo. It will hold about a minute at 100 with subs. And the whole setup will put you right around $750.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cz452 Varmint, best bang for the buck without dipping to anschutz money. </div></div>

That would be my pick too, but it doesn't meet his open sights requirement.

CZ452 varmint is what I went with also, we will see how it does should be here next week! Have a buddy that works at CZ and he picked me out a good one

Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning on getting a rifle with iron sights and not scoping it. The Savage Mark II FVT is more the style I am considering. I also really like the looks of the CZ 452 Special Military Training Rifle and the 452 Lux and Ultra Lux though I have never shot either model. Any opinions on these models? Better brands for the money?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ452 varmint is what I went with also, we will see how it does should be here next week! Have a buddy that works at CZ and he picked me out a good one</div></div>

Any chance you could get your buddy to pick me out a winner?

I think any CZ you pick with open sights and a stock you like will work.
I've owned several CZ's and all were shooters. In my opinion, you'd have to spend a lot more money to beat their quality and accuracy.
Nothing negative about the Savage, I just don't have any experience with them.

I would have recommend the Kimber Model 82 Government offered through CMP right now!

I did some work on my uncles rem 308 and in payment he picked one up for me.

The cost is 400 + tax comes with peeps which I haven't even looked at yet. (if your interested let me know and I'll open it up and get you a pic!).

Its a single shot bolt......

The gun is an absolute laser!! Flat out that's all I can say about it's performance!

Weighs quite a bit but for me and all I know with one it's just not an issue.

I've had it about two weeks now and have probably put close to 700 rounds through it. All I can say is, "Wow, what a blast to shoot!"

I just shot some groups with a few of my 22's and took pics even! Got on here and saw your post so.... Here you go.

62ec6fc2.jpg

I wanted to compare the Aguila to the Wolf. Someone on here was asking about accurate sub ammo.

I have a Weaver tact 3-10 offered through midway on it.
5d77c15b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have recommend the Kimber Model 82 Government offered through CMP right now!

I did some work on my uncles rem 308 and in payment he picked one up for me.

The cost is 400 + tax comes with peeps which I haven't even looked at yet. (if your interested let me know and I'll open it up and get you a pic!).

Its a single shot bolt......

The gun is an absolute laser!! Flat out that's all I can say about it's performance!

Weighs quite a bit but for me and all I know with one it's just not an issue.

I've had it about two weeks now and have probably put close to 700 rounds through it. All I can say is, "Wow, what a blast to shoot!"

I just shot some groups with a few of my 22's and took pics even! Got on here and saw your post so.... Here you go.

62ec6fc2.jpg

I wanted to compare the Aguila to the Wolf. Someone on here was asking about accurate sub ammo.

I have a Weaver tact 3-10 offered through midway on it.
5d77c15b.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks for posting, those are very nice groups out of the Kimber. I checked CMP and they have some in stock in the "R" catagory (light rust) I am concerned with how much potential rust there may be. Did you get yours in that condition as well? If so, how is the finish. Also, I know very little about the Kimber 82's, are they consistent in their quality?

Thank you. I think I am narrowing it down pretty well. I like the Kimber (American made and competition ready) and also the CZ Lux/Ultra Lux.
Looks like they are both in the same ballpark price-wise, any idea on how they compare in quality? I do like the Mauser style bolt on the CZ and the irons on the lux might be more apt for small game/low light. I am a sucker for a good single shot though. Thoughts?

I know of thirteen other model 82 government rifles.

All perform the same!
All reconsidered the light rust version (including mine), but non of them had any rust on the rifle period. The only place there was a touch of surface rust on the bolt and sights, which rubbed off very easily.

223b27a0.jpg

51825c71.jpg

1dab74a0.jpg

Dantrom, again - excellent photos. Looks like a blast to shoot.

Maybe I will have to save a bit more and get both!

+1 for the Mark II. I have the TR but I think the best bang for your buck is probably the FVT with the peep sights. I'm not aware of an out of the box CZ with comparable sights but the CZ is one of the best rimfires in wood furniture on the shelf. Balance of looks and functionality with price is near perfect.
I've been eyeballing the CMP kimbers BUT I'm thinking parts will be an issue if you shoot the snot out of it and break something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ452 varmint is what I went with also, we will see how it does should be here next week! Have a buddy that works at CZ and he picked me out a good one</div></div>

Any chance you could get your buddy to pick me out a winner? </div></div>

Send me a PM and Ill see what I can do

I<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the Mark II. I have the TR but I think the best bang for your buck is probably the FVT with the peep sights. I'm not aware of an out of the box CZ with comparable sights but the CZ is one of the best rimfires in wood furniture on the shelf. Balance of looks and functionality with price is near perfect.
I've been eyeballing the CMP kimbers BUT I'm thinking parts will be an issue if you shoot the snot out of it and break something.

</div></div>

I have read that about the Kimber's. I do plan on shooting whatever I get extensively. I can get a Kimber and wait months for it or I can get the CZ Ultra Lux next week, maybe the week after. I know the wait should not be the deciding factor but it plays a small part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been eyeballing the CMP kimbers BUT I'm thinking parts will be an issue if you shoot the snot out of it and break something.
</div></div>

I'm not totally sure about this, but I believe much of this gun is the same as the model 82's and the 82b.....

CZ452 Lux or Ultra Lux will fit your needs perfectly and are evry bit the shooter that the 452V is but with iron sights. I have owned a Lux and plan to buy another for my wife soon. I currently own the Varmint model and the only way you will outshoot, or beat the fit and finish of the CZ, is to spend about $800 more for an Anschutz. The Lux can be had on GB for well under four bills if you shop the auctions. That should leave you $300 for rail, rings, and scope. Inside that budget I would opt for the 10X Bushnell Elite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mossberg 44US.</div></div>

I would also like one of these aswell!

Didn't finish reading your post.

For open sights I'd go with CZ either a Lux or a Military Trainer. You have to get into Anchutz money to get better.

I really appreciate all the input. I am going to try the CZ Ultra Lux. I am sure the Lux or Special Military Trainer would shoot just as well but I really like the long, slender lines and extended sight radius (while my eyes are still good). I think it will be perfect for open sight, small game hunting.
Keep your eyes peeled, I will post pics and range results after I get the rifle.

They have a CZ Ultra at my local shop, i've picked it up many times and it points and feels sooo sweet (problem $409+tax) good thing i have a 453 varmint

I have had my ultra lux for a couple months........zero complaints.
I stoned the surfaces the bolt runs on and it is sooooo smooth.
The damn thing will just not miss. We shoot a lot of small bore Silhouette out to 200 yards and it is a steel ringer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really appreciate all the input. I am going to try the CZ Ultra Lux. I am sure the Lux or Special Military Trainer would shoot just as well but I really like the long, slender lines and extended sight radius (while my eyes are still good). I think it will be perfect for open sight, small game hunting.
Keep your eyes peeled, I will post pics and range results after I get the rifle. </div></div>

Good choice. I think you'll be happy. That rifle was made for iron sights

looks good CZ makes a good 22 looking fwd to seeing how it shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good CZ makes a good 22 looking fwd to seeing how it shoots </div></div>

Me too!

Update on the .22. I thought long and hard about the pros and cons of the different CZ models and decided to get the 452 Special Military Trainer instead of the Ultra Lux. The main reasons for the change were simple, the military trainer will fit in the gun bags I already own, price drop, immediate availability, ease of future resale, and for .22 LR shooting with irons a 24.8 inch barrel has plenty of sight radius for accuracy.
I just placed the order and should take possession after the holiday weekend. I will post results after I shoot it.

You won't be disappointed.

I had bought an Ultra Lux with the intention of using it for Silhouette shooting, but realized after the fact that with a 28.6" barrel, that it was tool long. Yes is was within the length constraints of the standard class, but was too long for the hunter class. Since I was looking for one rifle to shoot in both classes, the Ultra Lux had to go. Now I have the 452 Special Military Trainer to shoot in both classes.

I picked up the rifle today and it is beautiful. It is the model 452 Special Military Training Rifle. Fit, finish and quality are immediately evident. The wood is nice but nothing to brag about, looks like a solid field gun. The test target is a decent group (17/32") but suspicious, it could be CZ's habit but there are only 4 shots on the test target that came with the rifle. I can find no evidence of a 5th shot. The target is signed, dated and stamped - anyone else know if the 4 shot group is normal?
Next will be the photos and range report. I will be shooting a comparison at 50 yards between: Wolf Match Target, Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Tag, SK Rifle Match, Remington Target, Remington Subsonic, and Aguila 60gr SSS just for fun. I sincerely hope it likes the cheaper stuff the best!
Stay tuned.

Just a heads up the test target is just for function your CZ should group WAY better. congrats on the new rifle .... we need PICTURES

Congrats on the CZ. I personally own four of the 452 Americans. I have one in each caliber (.22Lr, .22WMR, .17HMR, and .17HM2)

I am hoping to get a 452 UL someday, but right now, I have other things that I need to get first.

You'll love it yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...it could be CZ's habit but there are only 4 shots on the test target that came with the rifle. I can find no evidence of a 5th shot. The target is signed, dated and stamped - anyone else know if the 4 shot group is normal?
...</div></div>

I just ran out and checked the test taget with my Special, and it also only has four shots. I don't remember what came with my Ultra Lux.

Looking forward to that range report and those pics.

In that price range if you want a mag feed rifle you can buy:

Biathlon Basic
CZ-452
Anschutz 64
Maybe a Kimber 22lr Varmint

As far as accuracy goes the CZ is probably the worst of the lot but not by much. The CZ has other things going for it thought.

For the recent posters, I now own a CZ 452 Military Trainer. I will get pics and range report up soon.

Thanks for all the suggestions.