• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 22 mag for the money or for the distance

mrskylinetou

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Im sure this question has been asked over and over again but im looking for a 22 mag and I only know a few brands. Savage is on of them. I am looking for the longest distance possible and the cheapest price. I figure up to 600 maybe a bit over for just the rifle. Looking for bull barrel and all those goodies that make it accurate and able to reach long distances. I understand this is no 1000 yrd shot or even close.
Im asking two thing:
Whats is the best gun for the longest distance?
What is the best gun for the money?
So far i have found the savage 93f, or one of the 93's. So far this seem to be the best price...

Thanks for everyone's help in advance and feel free to email me also

Re: Best 22 mag for the money or for the distance

I bought a 17HMR instead of a 22 MAG becasue I was told 17HMR would be more accurate....I bought a Savage BTVS and have not had a chance to even shoot it....I have too much fun with 22LR...

For me the bes 22 mag for the money was a rem 597mag (I bought it for $100 with 200rds of ammo
wink.gif
) I was very suprized by its accuracy, It will hold an honest one inch group to 150yds, I haven't shot it at any further distance than that. if you don't mind a semi-auto check'em out

Steve

I sold a Marlin heavy barrel stainless to my buddy. He shoot the CCI ballistic tip and it shoots ragged holes at 50yds. The only thing they need are a trigger job.

We have two Marlins in the 22 Mag one is a 782 the other a 25mm, both are one hole shooters at 50 yds using super X ammo. paid 150 for one and 125 for the other.

+1 for marlin

I have a 783 that will shoot .25 inch 5 shot groups at 100 but it opened up to about 1.5 inches at 200.

This doesn't fully meet your requirements but, you could buy a sako quad (from gunbroker) in 17m2, sell that barrel and buy a 22 mag barrel listed in this thread. 22 mag Out lay will be around $650 then subtract what you get for the m2 barrel (or keep it).

Anschutz 1720

I have 2-22 mag varmit rifles.
A CZ varmit that will shoot sub MOA @ 100 with Rem 33grn V-Max.
A Ruger 77-22Mag with a semi-bull bbl that will shoot Win Supreme into less than 1 1/2 inch @100.
The Cz is lighter and shorter,easier to carry. I use it on coyotes when I need a rifle that makes less noise.
I have used the Ruger on PDs in Wyoming while the bbl cooled on my 22-250.
Both have their place.

I think the best bang will be the Marlin. I have a tube fed bolt action I bought at K-MArt back in the early 80's that shoots pretty good. If you want one to tinker on the Rugers seem to have a good after market following but they are pricey on the initial purchase.

Savage or Marlin from the experience that I have.

Spend the little extra for an accu-trigger model if you get a Savage or be prepared to put a trigger in the Marlins. I just did 2 trigger jobs on my Marlin 25N and 925 last night. Total time was about 2 hours including setup and cleanup, the 25N was a $94 rifle back in 1994 when I got it, last weekend I put 2 groups of 5 into a 1" circle with cheap 22LR ammo. The marlins shoot.

You could get a Ruger 77/22, then find a 22 mag barrel on rimfirecentral forum & a 22 mag trigger guard for it at brownells This is all you need to convert it & you have 2 rifles in 1.

+1000 for the Savage, IMHO it's definately the "best for the money"... yeah the Anny is better, the CZ MAYBE better, the Marlin I don't think is better maybe about the same, but the Savage is a tackdriver for the price... BTW, my MK II shoots 308 casing @100yds quite often

I had a ruger 77/22 in .22 mag. This rifle shot very well. My buddy also had one in stainless 77/22 K I believe. His had a longer barrel and target crown but was a lot heavier. It did not shoot any better than my 77/22 mag. I have a Savage .17 HMR in the 93 that shoots extremely well. I like the heavier bullets the .22 mag uses over the light bullets of the .17. Good Luck Look at the Savage for the best price and the quality is pretty decent.

I think my .22 Mag is a Marlin 88. Its a tube-fed, long barreled bolt-action. It shoots great with the Rem. ballistic tip and the Hornady V-Max ballistic tip ammo, I'd stay clear of the soft-point ones.

The barrel on it is Microgroove, which is supposed to help with accuracy, but it works fine for me. I've shot snakes at our pond at 100 yards and plenty of squirrels with 1 shot between 50 and 75 yards. I don't think its a very expensive rifle either, trigger pull is very crisp but heavier than a Savage (maybe 2 lbs?).

In that price range a used annie 1516 or a new CZ would be my choices. Probably
won't outshoot a savage by much but are just a nice piece to own as well as shoot.

I have a CZ 452 American and like it alot, I would check out Whittakers website for the best prices, a buddy of mine Son is home on leave from the service and found a 452 American in 17HMR at a local shop the other day for $309 NIB, if I hadnt already had the same rig I might have been a little jealous, the point is there are deals out there to be had, good luck in your search.

My money is on Anshutz then CZ for best but they are so close I'd probly go with the better deal price wise and use the extra cash for ammo. Donald