• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 22 tac trainer?

Re: Best 22 tac trainer?

I am using a Remington 504T. The 504 series has been discontinued and if you find one it might take some tinkering with to get it to shoot.

My 504T feels very close to a Rem 700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage TR. Mines a tack driver</div></div>

Agree!!

My vote is the Sako Quad. Although not cheap, it feels like its big brother and the bolt throw is much more like the Remington than the Savage IMO. I have tried the Savage and it isn't my thing.

IMG00137-20100513-1701-1.jpg

i own a savage markII, lam. thumbhole stock, accutrigger, bull barrel.i love target shooting with this gun. it is a tackdriver and loves cci standard vel target loads, which dosnt break the bank. this gun is the reason i just bought a fcp10 308. no complaints with savage.

IMHO, the goal of a trainer is to be durable, reliable, consistent, and make the training process cheaper. Yes, a really nice hammer can drive the nail, but so can a bargain Stanley from WallyWorld. In the training process, quantity (of rounds fired) is at least as important as quality. Less buckage spent on the rifle allows more spent on the ammo. The trainer is a tool, not a trophy.

I'd keep it simple and frugal. I'd step back from the accuracy hangup and set my goals on consistent performance, and try for consistent improvement. The important thing to do is to rule out the equipment as the source of flyers. I use a very old, very basic Savage MKII that is probably equivalent to the current MKII-F, but has a receiver that's grooved for a scope, and of course, the pre-Accue-Trigger. It throws me no surprises. The sporter weight barrel likes CCI blue box Standard Velocity Target ammo, and is a bargain.

More than this is neither necessary, nor perhaps even desirable.

Greg

My vote is for a 40X. It feels like a center fire rifle because it's built off of a center fire receiver. The bolt throw, size, weight and ergonomics all have the same feel as a Rem 700. There really is no 22 that duplicates the same feel and none that have the same bolt throw as a short action center fire like a 40X. The real draw back is the 40X is its a single feed and many need/want the ability to practice follow up shots. If Stiller would get serious about their 25X copy of the 40X then I say that would be the natural choise for a training rifle. But just about any 22 bolt gun that will feed from a mag would be good to just work on your shooting skills. Any trigger time is better than none.

greg l. above (as always) has good advise.

i do like the look and feel of the 40x, and after shooting one, i was hooked on it, however my wallet wront allow me to indulge.

a CZ, ruger 22/77, sako, for many of the same reasons of "feel" and look.

still a savage is great trainer for the price and options available.

ultimately i'd think it depends on what your really wanting it for - feel, look, accuracy? and if your budget will allow you to have the best of all three, considering you'll need optics also.

I went with the 40X, thanks again Don!
DSC00780.jpg

Its a great rifle, however you could benefit from a CZ452 or savage just as well. I have a 452 varmit and its a tack driver provided I do my part, not to mention its fun as hell to shoot.

My buddy I'll probably be training with has a savage tr. So I'll probably just go that route. Thanks for all the great advice guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">64 multi purpose rifle

http://championshooters.com/64-MP-big.htm </div></div>

In my opinion their is no better trainer i am looking for one right now. they are heavy 9lbs long barrel, stocks are very close to a mcmillan forend and grip, plus they have amazing triggers and are great shooters.