• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .223/5.56 powder for AR (62gr bullets)

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Having a hard time finding the qualities of different powders.
What I'm looking for is basically the best powder that accomplishes the following in order of importance.
1. Accuracy/Temp stable (tie on that one)
2. Clean
3. Low flash
4. Velocity
5. Meter well

Ones that I think are contenders are XBR 8208, Tac, H322, H335, AR Comp, Benchmark, Vi N540, Vi N530
Can someone confirm/narrow those down or add one I didn't mention

this is only my personal thoughts but Id worry less about the best and buy what you can when you see it if you do see any for any round
but my friends that do reload for 223 seem to like cfe 223 Ive heard no complaints about it except availability oh and the franks hot sauce of powder Varget but you can use that on a lot of different rounds and it works really well . good luck finding stuff your looking for .

All of the powders you mentioned will work, so unless you’ve already got them in your inventory, I would just get whatever you can find. H335 is the only one I’ve seen lingering in stock anywhere. Everything else is sold out within minutes.

Ball powders and double base powders tend to be less temp stable.

For a 62 grain projectile, I would try 8208 or Benchmark. Both are extruded powders but they are “short cut” so the granules are very small. They both flow through a powder measure much better than something like Varget or H4895. Not as effortless as ball powder, but still pleasant to use.
If you want it narrowed down to one powder, 8208 would be my pick. I think it’s a little more versatile in terms of loading for heavier projectiles and other common calibers like .308.

Reactions: Baddog 0302
My experience with H335 was it is not temp stable. I got excellent results with it though.

I just started using Benchmark and 8208 last year so no long term tests yet but I am happy with Benchmark and locally no one seems to buy it. 8208 hasn't been selling out as fast as varget but it's close.

8208 XBR meets all of these. It was designed to do these very things for 5.56 rifles and LMGs with 62gr projectiles.

On that list I have only have used Benchmark, Tac and 8208 with 60gr bullets. That would be my choice in that order. Since Temp stability is a main concern and ease of metering is the last, then I would place Tac in 3rd. Tac is pretty cheap compared to Benchmark, thats a plus. W748 could be another option or AA2520

Are you using the Hornady 62 BTHP?

I've had some success with 8208, TAC, SW Precision, and SMP 735 which is a surplus ball powder. They aren't a match bullet but shoot really well for their price point.

I am seeing TAC becoming available more often than any of those others.

Most of the time I load them just for fun on steel and to shoot out of my 1:9 twist Remingtons. They don't have a great BC so wind is going to affect you more than velocity variations at longer distances.
The longest was 2 MOA steel at 800 in sub 5MPH winds.

Plan to use 62gr. gold dots. Not looking for match like accuracy, but something that is likely to do moa accuracy (preferably sub) in several different guns. Maybe I should have made accuracy a little further down on list, but I do want decent accuracy. 1.5 moa is ok as long as that about max is with all the rifles used. (I'm sure that's doable)
I haven't seen much about flash(which a good MD handles alot of that, but thier are a few short barrel pistols in use too). Are the V N133, N135, and N 140 temp stable? I'd rather minimize any poi shift from winter to summer conditions.

D41A9F5A-2A14-42F0-937A-823BE2D3C069.png

I've had very good success with Tac but with 77gr. Not sure about 62gr bullets. I tried 3 and of the 3 Tac was best for 223.

Reactions: Ravenworks
My experience with 75 Gold
Plan to use 62gr. gold dots. Not looking for match like accuracy, but something that is likely to do moa accuracy (preferably sub) in several different guns.

My experience with 75 GD has been excellent. 1/2 MOA out of my Tikka and hovers around a minute out of my AR at 100.

The velocity variation really depends on the distance you will be shooting. With a 100 yard zero, a difference of 100 FPS will be less than an inch at 200.

RAM TAC is what I run from 52gr-69gr with great success.
I haven’t been able to snag any of the 77gr yet.
Really? I've seen it around. Hornady, not Berger. I really like the 77 Match BTHP Hornady for 223. Haven't stretched it all the way out yet but to 600 is no problem at all. Avg Velocity of 2930 at the muzzle. I'm sure I can take it to 1000yds and hit well if not too much wind.

Reactions: texastonk
Really? I've seen it around. Hornady, not Berger. I really like the 77 Match BTHP Hornady for 223. Haven't stretched it all the way out yet but to 600 is no problem at all. Avg Velocity of 2930 at the muzzle. I'm sure I can take it to 1000yds and hit well if not too much wind.
I’ve got so many 55gr and 69gr bthp.
That just shoot lights out I haven’t really looked. Just seen more and more guys talking good about 77gr. I need to keep and eye out.

I’ve got so many 55gr and 69gr bthp.
That just shoot lights out I haven’t really looked. Just seen more and more guys talking good about 77gr. I need to keep and eye out.
The 69's probably do well also, the 77 just does better in my barrel and gives a little bit more for reaching out while still running pretty dang quick.

Reactions: texastonk
Living somewhere where you can have an 80° difference between summer and winter temp sensitivity is always on my mind, to the point that I'll give up a little velocity for better temp tolerance. Up until recently I primary reloaded for ARs and M1s (Garand and carbine). I've used H322 with good success in mid-weight 5.56 and heavier 6.8.