• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 22LR on the cheap as a starter rifle

tasslehawf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
Austin, TX
I'm following the LR shooting primer and looking for a 22LR to learn to shoot at 100 yards. The less I can spend the better as I am basically broke at the moment. I know cheap and accurate don't go always hand-in-hand. But what's the best/accurate 22LR say under $400. Even a good used one at that price. I'll be 30 in a few weeks so not a kid's rifle.

I am interested in the Rem 700 AICS .308, but lacking funds and humble to learn the right way - I want to go the 22 route.

Re: Best 22LR on the cheap as a starter rifle

for bolt action, a cz is a great rifle for the $ (still between $400-$500), however a lower priced good shooter would be a savage MKII, followed by a marlin.

on the semi auto side, a ruger 10/22 is a good shooter, with lots of extras available to play with.

10/22 You can start simple, and make it sweet as you go. There is an infinate amount of aftermarket stuff for it, and there is also a good used market for rifles and parts.

If you are stuck on a bolt, I would get a savage

I'll have to shop a gun show when I get to Texas (we're moving there soonish; as soon as we sell our house). I probably won't have any time to shoot before then anyway. Def looking at the 10/22 or the savage mkII..

I've got a 10/22. I really wish I had a bolt gun. First, as a trainer, a 22 bolt more accurately simulates the 308 bolt. Second, you will fight two issues with ammo - accuracy and cycling.

Just something to keep in mind.

What do you guys think of the TOZ-17 and can they even be purchased?

My MkII is a great little rifle and a ton of fun. I have the BTVS model which is stainless with the laminated thumbhole stock.

The Baikals are around and are rumored to be very accurate.

On the cheap either Savage or Marlin, both really solid bolt action 22s.

I just picked up a Marlin 925 a few days ago, and put 150 rounds through it this morning. I'm doing the same learning process you are, starting with a .22 rimfire and moving up to a .308. I had a Savage and Marlin side by side at the gunshop, and the Marlin gave me a better feel, so that's what I went with.

You can take a plain 10/22, have it glass bedded/free floated, and then get a 16" or 20" bull barrel with whichever twist rate you need and should be good to go.

Yeah, I know its a semi-auto and a bolt would be better but parts are plentiful and not so expensive for the 10/22...

If you get a 10/22 expect more issues with feeding than you care too. Look into a Ruger 77/22 or one of the others that were mentioned. I love my 77/22, and it loves federal match ammo.

Go with the CZ 452.
My rifle will shoot 1.5" @ 150yds with Wolf MT ammo. It is a LH action.
Check on Rimfirecentral for all kinds of 22 advice. Their classifieds are great. There is a 452 on the list now for $350.

Coach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tasslehawf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....looking for a 22LR to learn to shoot....The less I can spend the better ....under $400....not a kid's rifle.</div></div>

Savage MKII-FV, Tasco Target & Varmint mil-dot scope and Burris Zee Signature rings

$230-240 for rifle
http://www.impactguns.com/store/062654287008.html

$65 or $80 scope
http://swfa.com/Tasco-Target-Varmint-Riflescopes-C204.aspx

rings $35-40
http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-C639.aspx

$350ish, new out the door

I've got a savage MK II for sale on the forums here all set up.

savage mkII is a nice bolt trainer and the bull barrel version is easy to find and very reasonably priced.

10/22 gets a bad rap, but has the best selection of aftermarket parts and with a slight tweek to the ejector and a Volquartsen exact edge extractor, it can cycle most ammo without an issue. Throw a heavy barrel on it an it shoots beautifully out to 150.

For the purposes you specified in your post I'd say CZ, with Savage MKII as a second.

Marlin 925. Really accurate and its blt action.

If your just starting to learn the fundamentals of shooting then stick to the bolt guns. It forces you to aim and place your shot well and kills the urge to go rapid fire. I know to many that start on a semi and have no fire control. It will also be cheaper as a brick of good ammo will last a week were a semi will eat that up for breakfast. The Ruger has the best adult stock but cost twice as much as most of the otherwise very nice 22's. I'd look for a used Ruger if that's one you want or just go new CZ/Savage/Marlin. Very good 22's rings are cheap and there's alot of low end scopes that will handle the 22 just fine.
It's your dollar but to make the most out of it a bolt gun would be the least costly overall. Donald

Marlin 880SQ. No longer made but still fairly easy to locate for about $200.

A Savage can be had for a bit more (I think I recall paying $330 for my BTVS at Buds).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My MkII is a great little rifle and a ton of fun. I have the BTVS model which is stainless with the laminated thumbhole stock.

The Baikals are around and are rumored to be very accurate. </div></div>

+1 Or a Mark II FV - Heavy Barrel Varmit Blued

For Iron Sights, I like the old DCM/CMP Mossberg M44 with the Lyman Target Micrometer Sights. Magazines for them are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Another choice is the Romanian M1969 Training Rifle, which can be found with a little bit of serious effort and has proven very acceptable for training the basics.

Then, of course, there are the various Savage MKII (Mako?) offerings. I have one of the most basic black plastic stocked blued sporter barreled MKII-F I bought used with a scope for about $120 some years back. Love it, and it serves regularly as a trainer in our club's youth marksmanship program. The kids call it 'Black Beauty' and seek it out. Savage has the MKII-FVT version with Micrometer Iron Sights and Target Barrel, but like everything else, they have gotten pricey at around a $400 list price.

Greg

You did say on the cheap, right?
I recently puchased the Remington Model Five. (Cabela's 4 hour sale) Added the Tasco mil-dot varmint scope, Burris Signature rings with the +2/-2 inserts for increased elevation adjustment, sling, swivels, and a stock pack for less than a CZ bare.
I like the CZ and the Savage, but I am completely set up at $325.
I only have 863 rounds through it so far, and I am still testing some various ammo, but it does reasonably well. I wrote a pretty lengthy review over on Rimfire Central.
-Thanks for talking me into it Greg!

+1 savage mkII, ive got a buddy who has a sporter barrel version that he got used for $120 that shoots as good as my new btvs!

Gents,

The CZ gets my vote, forged barrel and chamber, smooth bolt, reliable 5 & 10 round mags. My wifes just bought a silhouette version for my 50th, so after a bit of Krylon we have:

CZ1.jpg

Only a couple of tweaks required (trigger kit, bolts and firing pin spring) and you're away

English

Had the MkII Fv and it shot lights out. Wanted some more fun so I bought a 10/22T and love it. Have a repeater is so much more fun IMHO.

You're welcome.

My ideas are neither original nor unique, I just have a longer memory and a bigger mouth than most.

FWIW, looks like ammo's back on the menu, boys and girls!

Wallyworld's ammo shelves are suddenly far from bare again. Fed .22LR bulk pack is back and it's going for around $15, which is not <span style="font-style: italic">too</span> dear anyway....

Greg

Savage Mark II BV in the laminated stock. Bed the stock with Devcon steel bed just forward of the mag well, and on the back side of the mounting/recoil lug. Get a Falcon 4x14 Mil/Mil FFP scope and you are good to go. Leupold rifleman rings work quite well, and EGW makes a very nice picatinney 20moa scope base for the Mark II.

I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 mil-dot on mine, but wish I had done the Falcon Mil/Mil FFP scope. All my tactical/comp rifle scopes are Mil/Mil FFP, so a FFP makes sense on a 22LR trainer as well. Unless you are doing the MOA/Mil thing on your other rilfes/scopes. I'm a fan of learning to do one thing well, so I like the idea of a FFP Mil/Mil scope on all my rifles.... By the way, you will need a scope with some magnification if you are going to shoot at 100+ yards. Those little 22cal are hard to spot with any less than 14x power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mark II BV in the laminated stock. Bed the stock with Devcon steel bed just forward of the mag well, and on the back side of the mounting/recoil lug. Get a Falcon 4x14 Mil/Mil FFP scope and you are good to go. Leupold rifleman rings work quite well, and EGW makes a very nice picatinney 20moa scope base for the Mark II.

I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 mil-dot on mine, but wish I had done the Falcon Mil/Mil FFP scope. All my tactical/comp rifle scopes are Mil/Mil FFP, so a FFP makes sense on a 22LR trainer as well. Unless you are doing the MOA/Mil thing on your other rilfes/scopes. I'm a fan of learning to do one thing well, so I like the idea of a FFP Mil/Mil scope on all my rifles.... By the way, you will need a scope with some magnification if you are going to shoot at 100+ yards. Those little 22cal are hard to spot with any less than 14x power. </div></div>

Shoot n' see, Dirty Bird, or a small metal swinging target will let you know where you hit.

Try to find an old Glenfield, Marlin, Stevens, Remmy bolt.(You get the picture) Just make sure the bore and action are good.
100 bucks or less depending. Top it with a Simons 4x14. They're about another 100 or less now. If you don't have one, buy a name brand short bipod. 75.00
Rings and base depends on what you find.
Spend the rest on ammo and crylon camo boat paint for practice, if you feel you need it coated.

go shoot, and have fun!

CZ 452 without a doubt!! If you can find a good deal on a Remington 504...they aren't bad either.

If you must have a semi-auto....TC R-55 benchmark and don't look back. Best out of the box and usually a lot cheaper than others and it works everytime you pull the trigger....unlike some others.

All of the above are awesome suggestions.

**EDIT: I stupidly posted the following without having seen GregL's post. Sorry about the superfluous banter**

Also, if you get interested in going real cheap, how about a Romanian 1969 military trainer? It's a 5-shot magazine-fed bolt action. Every one I've seen looks terrible, but you can find a good shooter for around $100. A friend of mine owns one. He bought it for $80 and mounted the crappiest scope I've ever looked through, but it's a super fun and accurate little gun.

I really don't think the brand/model is as important as the condition.

I'd trot on down to the local gun purveyor and have a look at what's on the shelf and priced reasonably.

If iron sghts are important to you, make sure the ones on what you buy are serviceable, and always examine the crown closely.

Buggering the crown and/or sights are about the only real ways to make a .22lr shoot like poop. The cartridge does most of the heavy lifting, accuracy-wise; it's really just a hard thing to do, making a .22lr shoot badly. As long as the mechanicals are operating properly; they just work well, period.

Greg

What part of Texas? If it is near me, I'll take you out and let you try several variations of 10/22, a S&L. CZ or one of several other brands.

Frankly for distance bolt actions will always beat out semi-autos for the money and you can pick up an older .22lr fir a song if you know what you are doing.

Generally speaking .22 barrels almost never wear out, they will eventually lead up and make folks think they are shot out, but that is a fixable condition.

Most .22 competitions are at 50m, not 100yd. and that is where you will see your best accuracy.
smirk.gif

As far as that goes, if you have some time (like 6 months) you can get some decent target type rifles from the CMP.

What style of rifle are you wanting? Sporter, Target??

Much as I really really hate to send business to these guys, you can pick one of these rifles up for under $400

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1446-GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tasslehawf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....looking for a 22LR to learn to shoot....The less I can spend the better ....under $400....not a kid's rifle.</div></div>

Savage MKII-FV, Tasco Target & Varmint mil-dot scope and Burris Zee Signature rings

$230-240 for rifle
http://www.impactguns.com/store/062654287008.html

$65 or $80 scope
http://swfa.com/Tasco-Target-Varmint-Riflescopes-C204.aspx

rings $35-40
http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-C639.aspx

$350ish, new out the door

</div></div>

Shiraz and I have the same set up (Savage MK II-FVT w/EGW 20 MOA Base) - same scope. In the following link, these gongs where shot from 200 yards. Gong sizes from left to right; 6x7, 5x6, 4x5 inches;

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/JoethebowM/100_0398.jpg

To get these kind of results (not that other rifles don't - because they do), I'm sold on the Savage MK II-FVT...

Hello all, I am a new member mostly into .22LR target shooting (12m, 50m, 100m indeed not yard but m).
Try www.egun.de it translates in english although with the typical google translate errors.
Go to the KK-sporting section and then to KK-Matchgewehre.
Have a look for a second hand Anschutz 1907 or 1913, they sometimes sell for 300 euro or less.
The 54 can be even cheaper. Be patient for a good one to appear.

My favorite for a non match rifle would be a sako quad or finnfire, an Anschütz 1416 or a CZ ZKM 452 Lux, the CZ being good and cheap as already said.

regards Erik