• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .260 bullet in AR platform

Fast Ed

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
Like a lot of you, I am waiting for AR parts. I am waiting for stuff to complete my .260 long range build. It will be on a DPMS upper and lower with a Geisselle trigger, Krieger 24" barrel, JP float tube, Magpul PRS buttstock and Leupold MKIV LRT 4-14 on top. I am looking for advice on the best bullet to use for this rifle. Taking into consideration the mag length limitations, and my usage which will be long range hunting and target shooting, what do you consider the best bullet(s) for my application? The 139 Scenar is well liked here, but not for hunting. The new Berger looks interesting, but I'm not sold on its hunting application either. Barnes? Sierra? Swift? Nosler? Hornady? Should I develop 2 loads, or stick to 1 knowing it may not be optimal for either use?

Thanks for your help.

Fast Ed

Re: Best .260 bullet in AR platform

Close to my tricked out DPMS LR 260. Bergers will not fit or feed. 140gr A Max, SMKs, Normas all shoot sub MOA with H4350. 130 TSX with W760 will shoot right at 1 MOA and kills like the hammer of Thor.
MATCH BULLETS ARE NOT BIG GAME HUNTING BULLETS!
dpms260.jpg

It will depend what your rifle likes, but I think the Sierra 142 match bullets have one of the highest BCs for long range shooting. I do not know what barrel twist match up with that weight bullet.

It will be a 1-8 if twist I ever get it. I'm waiting for the barrel, upper, float tube, half the magazines, and bolt carrier. I have the bolt, lower, trigger, buttstock, the other half of the magazines, and the gas block. I can't wait until the panic buying stops!

Fast Ed

I tried Hornady 120 and 140gr AMAX's, 130 Swift Scirocco's (sp?), Berger 140gr VLD's, and 123 and 139gr Lapua Scenar's in the one I used to have. The Lapua 139's shot the best at 100 (.5-.6" 5 shot groups at 100) and at range due to mag seating length with the shape of the bullet (it was closer to the lands than any of the other bullets by about .020"). I bought some CProducts magazines to try out - because you can seat the bullets out .010" longer, but sold the rifle before I went to test the other bullets out again with the OAL longer.

I assume you will not be hunting elk with this, and it will be for deer/pigs, or smaller game. If that's the case, then the 140 A-max or any of the Berger VLD's (120, 130, or 140) would be great. I have taken game with both of the above bullets, and all performed well. The VLD's have massive wound damage. The A-max has a little more controlled expansion, and expands more like a hunting bullet and will give you the deepest penetration. The Barnes bullets are great, but are a little expensive for plinking and target shooting. One of the Hornady's or Bergers would do you fine.

I'll never understand people who spend 1000s on rifles, scopes, guided hunts, vehicles, etc etc going cheap on bullets. I might use $100 worth of Barnes bullets each year for sighting in and actual hunting. I burn more diesel going hunting than that!
The 120 TSX killed an Antelope from my 260 DPMS LR at 240 yards... bang, flop right through both lungs.
I just don't get the use of match bullets for hunting. The gilt edge accuracy is not needed and they are not constructed for deep penetration and breaking big bones should that be necessary. If they were suitable, bullet makers would stop making hunting bullets since a simple cup and core match bullet is a lot easier to make than a TSX, A-Frame or Partition. Wonder why the latter are still around.........?
Try shooting a big animal up the ass with a match bullet and you will be enlightened. No, Virginia, animals don't always stand broadside waiting for you to get your 14 pound rifle up on bipod, Mil it, get out your wind meter. read the dope written on your stock and finally take the shot.
Too much technology, too little fieldcraft.

I am getting ready to build a 260 upper for my DPMS LR. I have a 308 stock 24 heavy barrel upper from DPMS and it is shooting well I just have a hang up for 6.5 mm bullets. I intend to get a reamer made so that I can seat 130 Berger VLDs into the lands .010" and still fit into the magazine. I have some C-products mags on order and I hope to get them before sending off the dummy round with the max COAL for Dave K to cut a reamer to match.

My rig will probably never be used to kill anything but paper so I choose a bullet that has given me the best accuracy of a number of 6.5 mm rifles. People have said I will lose powder capacity and that would be true if I used this reamer on a bolt gun. In this gas gun the mag limits the COAL and I will just be matching a reamer up to the max powder capacity that the magazine will allow.

Just my $0.02,

To get the Bergers to go up the feed ramp will be the big challenge. I seated them in far enough to go in the magazine BUT due to their very long taper and "pointy end" they would hit the feed ramp and stick there. The OAL to fit in the magazine, puts the bullet so far into the case that there is a gap between the neck & bullet.
I don't know if you can get the magazine well reworked and a longer magazine to fit the Berger. The feed ramp will also need reworking. I'm not sure the prize is worth the quest given all the fine 140 gr 6.5 match bullets that will work, (SMKs, Normas, A Maxes etc.) and are all sub MOA in my tricked out DPMS 260 LR.

I use the 140 Bergers in my 6.5x55 R.F Sedgley Springfield sporter. But it is built on a 30-06 length action and was throated for 160 roundnoses from "back in the day" (1935).
I seat them so far out to be just off the lands that they look quite nasty. A whole lot longer than anything that would fit in an AR. VERY accurate one hole groups but even the 120 TSXs I hunt with (also seated way out) will put 5 in 7/8".

My 260:
dpms260.jpg

I will be hunting whitetails, mostly. I can see using it for pigs if I get to where they are, and coyotes for practice. I like the idea of a high b.c. bullet in this platform to take advantage of the ballistics, as the difference between most of the typical hunting bullets can be quite large. The 130 TSX comes in at .363, while the 130 Scirrocco II is .571, and the 130 Berger is .552. I do love the TSX terminal performance, though.

Fast Ed

For paper punching my 7.5 twist LR-260 likes the Lapua 139 and H4350 with cci br-2 (mag length).