• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best ~3-15x50 FFP for around $750

RMS65

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
The title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to keep the low end mag around 3x, maybe 4x. I'm currently using a 6-24 and 6x is way too tight to find anything in a hurry. It's going on a 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun. I might stretch the budget to 1K if it's a really good deal.
Thanks
Ron

The SWFA 3-15 is a pretty decent scope.

If you’re in no hurry, their Black Friday sale is pretty decent.
Not really...I've had several...They're "OK" at best, and extremely outdated design and features. They only have 5 MIL turrets, NO illuminated reticle, NO zero-stop... WAY too outdated to be asking what they ask for them. The Burris XTR-III has all those features, 34mm tube, zero-stop, illuminated reticle, and much better (modern) Japanese ED glass.

Best deal (not necessarily the best scope) is the Burris XTR2 3-15 on closeout at EuroOptic.

Best deal (not necessarily the best scope) is the Burris XTR2 3-15 on closeout at EuroOptic.
I was going to recommend that, but when I saw that he said he was able to go up to $1K, then no questions get the XTR-3 over the XTR-2. I have both the recent production XTR-2 5-25x50 SCR and XTR-3 5.5-30x56 SCR2, and the XTR-3 is a noticeable jump in glass performance for the money.

Reactions: Lightning8
I was going to recommend that, but when I saw that he said he was able to go up to $1K, then no questions get the XTR-3 over the XTR-2. I have both the recent production XTR-2 5-25x50 SCR and XTR-3 5.5-30x56 SCR2, and the XTR-3 is a noticeable jump in glass performance for the money.
Thanks. If the XTR-2 is pretty serviceable I'd much rather come under budget than max it out. My best scope is a Viper 6-24 HST and glass wise I'm ok with anything on par with that.

Thanks. If the XTR-2 is pretty serviceable I'd much rather come under budget than max it out. My best scope is a Viper 6-24 HST and glass wise I'm ok with anything on par with that.
Don't know about the 3-15x50 XTR-2... But if it's as good as the 5-25x50 XTR-2, then it will definitely be better than the Viper HST 6-24x50. I still have a few of those that I used for over 10 years. Glass-wise, they were good, but mechanically and zero-stop wise, they were lacking compared to modern scopes, so they got replaced.

But I will recommend this... IF you can afford to spend $1K... Spend the $1K on the XTR-3. It is THAT much more of an upgrade over the XTR-2.

Don't know about the 3-15x50 XTR-2... But if it's as good as the 5-25x50 XTR-2, then it will definitely be better than the Viper HST 6-24x50. I still have a few of those that I used for over 10 years. Glass-wise, they were good, but mechanically and zero-stop wise, they were lacking compared to modern scopes, so they got replaced.

But I will recommend this... IF you can afford to spend $1K... Spend the $1K on the XTR-3. It is THAT much more of an upgrade over the XTR-2.
Your XTR 2 is comparable to the HST? Glass wise

Your XTR 2 is comparable to the HST? Glad wise
Yes, better scope overall, actually... The controls are more solid, the zero-stop is a solid steel pin nstead of that crappy "smooshy-feeling" shim system Vortex used to use on the HST's, 34mm tube, better turrets, and the glass is a step up, IMO. Everyone's eyes are different, but to me, the XTR-2 is a noticeable upgrade over the HST.

Yes, better scope overall, actually... The controls are more solid, the zero-stop is a solid steel pin nstead of that crappy shim system Vortex used to use on the HST's, 34mm tube, better turrets, and the glass is a step up, IMO. Everyone's eyes are different, but to me, the XTR-2 is a noticeable upgrade over the HST.
Thanks! Done deal. I'm ordering it now.
Take care,

Reactions: JS8588
The 3-15 pst 2 is a good all around scope. You could pick up a used one for 600-700 or wait for a sale.

Nightforce shv f1 is another one that sells used around your price range.

Picking up the target “in a hurry” could be glass quality and reticule choice.

Hunting rifle I would be tempted to get an sfp 2.5-10 and not an ffp 3-15.

Used Bushnell DMR II - 3.5-21 or Arken has several options available in 4-16. TBH, Arkens are so affordable probably doesn't hurt to just have one around as a spare.

The 3-15 pst 2 is a good all around scope. You could pick up a used one for 600-700 or wait for a sale.

Nightforce shv f1 is another one that sells used around your price range.

Picking up the target “in a hurry” could be glass quality and reticule choice.

Hunting rifle I would be tempted to get an sfp 2.5-10 and not an ffp 3-15.
Thanks I appreciate your input but the ever changing SFP reticle values confuse the crap out of me. I don't have time to do math. Most of the time I do best flying by the seat of my pants. I try to know my approximate distance and the drop in inches or feet for the round and guesstimate it. It obviously hasn't worked out perfectly for me. It's why I prefer flatter guns. At 300 to 500 yards I'm stretching out a 223 too far for moving targets. I'm hoping the 6.5 helps at least a little.

I'll look at the PST 2 but I don't have time to wait for a sale. The XTR 2 sounds like a good fit. I don't need to spend my all my budget. I just want a serviceable unit. I wouldn't even think of going over $500 on any scope when shooting under 300.

My next issue is what height rings do i need on a Tikka Varmint for the XTR 2

My next issue is what height rings do i need on a Tikka Varmint for the XTR 2
ARC M-Brace 34mm Low will be more than enough clearance with a 50mm objective... The only way to fly. I used to only use Seekins Precision, and they're great rings, but these are the most repeatable and solid rings I've used. Also, the design of them makes leveling the scope SUPER fast and easy because it doesn't rotate once you get it leveled and then start torquing the clamps. It's a great design. I've started using them exclusively. They're worth the money...Good rings always are.

Maybe wait for Vortex to drop their newest Viper scope. They changed their OEM, many will be impressed.

Reactions: stanley_white
Bakwa, whats the timeline on that scope? Second time I have heard about it, pretty interesting....
Thanks!
This is the first I've heard about it!
Based on the way Vortex has done recent product releases it can't be too far off.

If they make the same generational jump as the G1 to G2, the G3 should be amazing value for money.

Reactions: Bakwa
The silence is on purpose.
Not much longer.
Where did you hear this rumor? Seems to have come out of left field.

I've been waiting for a Gen3 PST for a while now, could be a really competitor to the new Mark 4hd.

Where did you hear this rumor? Seems to have come out of left field.

I've been waiting for a Gen3 PST for a while now, could be a really competitor to the new Mark 4hd.
I heard the rumor first at Shot Show from someone connected.
Then I heard the [not rumor] from the horses mouth late Feb.

Trust me when I say we're counting weeks on my fingers, and not PSA geological timelines here.

Reactions: beetroot
I'm still in market for FFP scope with the low end magnification around 3 to 4x. I changed my mind when I noticed the battery dead on and the throw lever missing on my RT6. More importantly the XTRII has a checkered reputation and there's lot's of complaints about Burris customer service.

I'd like a good scope from a company with great customer support. My budget maxes at $750 but I'd rather stay closer to $500.

Perhaps a Sightron S-tac or Athlon?
Thanks again

Friend showed up at the range with a Sightmark Presidio 3x18x50 on one of his 22Lr. After shooting it for awhile I was impressed. Not in the market but for sub $300 had to buy one. 30mm tube, 30 mils turret travel, illuminated. All controls smooth, parallax numbers matched up, turrets very positive. The thing dialed perfectly and repeatably from 50-200yds and all distances in between. Can get it with a decent tree reticle or a plain milling reticle. Worth a look in that price range.

I'm still in market for FFP scope with the low end magnification around 3 to 4x. I changed my mind when I noticed the battery dead on and the throw lever missing on my RT6. More importantly the XTRII has a checkered reputation and there's lot's of complaints about Burris customer service.

I'd like a good scope from a company with great customer support. My budget maxes at $750 but I'd rather stay closer to $500.

Thanks again
I wouldn't do too much reading on the internet (especially some of the threads on here about Burris), it's mostly made up of people bitching about things that don't work. You rarely see anyone post up things that work as good or better than they're supposed to. Everyone loves drama... 🙄🙄🙄

Good rule of thumb for the internet and reading scope and gun reviews... 75% of it is personal bias, and 25% (or less) is factual. So literally follow the old adage of "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

My point being, the internet blows things way out of proportion and nukes things out of orbit with people who want to hop on the hate bandwagons to be "part of something" and feel cool. Most of these stories you read are either complete bullshit, happened to someone else and not the person claiming it did, never happened, or they heard it happened and got details twisted up through multiple hands telling the story.

Also, I won't own either Sightron or Athlon, personally, and Meopta is overrated.

I wouldn't do too much reading on the internet (especially some of the threads on here about Burris), it's mostly made up of people bitching about things that don't work. You rarely see anyone post up things that work as good or better than they're supposed to. Everyone loves drama... 🙄🙄🙄

Good rule of thumb for the internet and reading scope and gun reviews... 75% of it is personal bias, and 25% (or less) is factual. So literally follow the old adage of "Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

My point being, the internet blows things way out of proportion and nukes things out of orbit with people who want to hop on the hate bandwagons to be "part of something" and feel cool. Most of these stories you read are either complete bullshit, happened to someone else and not the person claiming it did, never happened, or they heard it happened and got details twisted up through multiple hands telling the story.

Also, I won't own either Sightron or Athlon, personally, and Meopta is overrated.
I can ride with you on everything but the last sentence. I'm not suggesting meopta is the answer to any question, but $$$ for $$$, comparing apples to apples, they are spectacular. Their optika 6 series glass is really good. Repeatable, good turrets, they seem reliable way beyond their cost (in my experience). I've had a few and really liked them for the cost.

I can ride with you on everything but the last sentence. I'm not suggesting meopta is the answer to any question, but $$$ for $$$, comparing apples to apples, they are spectacular. Their optika 6 series glass is really good. Repeatable, good turrets, they seem reliable way beyond their cost (in my experience). I've had a few and really liked them for the cost.
I've looked through quite a few... Wasn't overly impressed. Plus, the giant rubber buttplug adjustments and blue markings are kind of cheesy and shitty. And the fact people on the internet are trying to compare the glass to $2K scopes is Poors projecting and grasping for straws.

I've looked through quite a few... Wasn't overly impressed. Plus, the giant rubber buttplug adjustments and blue markings are kind of cheesy and shitty. And the fact people on the internet are trying to compare the glass to $2K scopes is Poors projecting and grasping for straws.
I told a story last year or the year before about a prs match I shot. I had an optika 6 on my backup rifle (an ar10 6.5cm), and last minute, I had to take it. Last stage of the day we had targets at 1k, 1,100 and 1,200. The mirage was as bad as I've ever seen it (probably noon by the time we shot it, and the wind was 20mph+). The conditions were terrible for spotting impacts, almost as bad as they can be. We were on an elevated platform, about 20' up. We went 10 at a time, and laid side by side prone. There was "alpha glass everywhere". I was the only person, (with an optika 6 5-30×56 that I bought second hand for $600 just to goof around with on a trainer rifle) who could pick up the impacts. I watched every impact for the group. Nobody could believe that I could see them and they couldn't, but their corrections proved that I could. I'm not making any statements about that scope being somehow better than any other scope, but that is an accurate description of what happened. And I have alpha scopes too. I'm meeting someone in a few hours to trade away a Z8. They just seem to punch way above their weight class.

Last edited:
Can't agree more about the XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50 being at the top of the list for you. The XTR IIIi 3.3-18x50 has a very good combination of near top optical quality for this price range, very wide field of view, short 10 M min parallax distance, good depth of field, pretty light weight, good reticles (I prefer the SCR2 mil-tree), lots of elevation travel and accurate/repeatable turrets. My one main knock is very stiff turrets and mag control, but that is livable. It's a little over your budget range, but you won't regret a couple hundred more spent on this quality and class leading combination of specifications.

I don't recommend the XTR II - different design and not as competitive.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway

I totally understand taking internet chatter with a grain of salt. I've other hobbies that where I've seen bs parroted. I'll call Burris tomorrow to see how they handle the missing throw lever and dead battery. If they handle it well I may try them again. If they give me a song and dance I'll know the complaints amount about their CS is legitimate.

I'd rather have a consistently decent performing scope with a solid support than rolling the dice on quality and fighting to get it corrected if I lose the roll. That latter seems to be pretty common with current Burris products and support. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I totally understand taking internet chatter with a grain of salt. I've other hobbies that where I've seen bs parroted. I'll call Burris tomorrow to see how they handle the missing throw lever and dead battery. If they handle it well I may try them again. If they give me a song and dance I'll know the complaints amount about their CS is legitimate.

I'd rather have a consistently decent performing scope with a solid support than rolling the dice on quality and fighting to get it corrected if I lose the roll. That latter seems to be pretty common with current Burris products and support. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
I agree, but the problem is, nothing under $1K is really worthy of the rigors of comp use. That’s why I recommended the XTR-3… It’s proven to be a reliable entry level scope. Tracks true, glass is top of its price point. And lots of folks will recommend this scope to you.

I agree, but the problem is, nothing under $1K is really worthy of the rigors of comp use. That’s why I recommended the XTR-3… It’s proven to be a reliable entry level scope. Tracks true, glass is top of its price point. And lots of folks will recommend this scope to you.
I'm not arguing with you. We have different priorities. I'm not shooting competion. I just wanted something maybe better than my 3.5-14 Nikon Prostaff 5 or 6-24 Viper HST. The HST is fine for me until I get close to max magnification. At that point the PS5 is actually better. For my local recreational and hunting purposes, optically I could shoot either of these two scopes mentioned out to 500-800 yards. I just wanted to treat myself to something a little nicer if I ever stretched this new gun out to 1000. I just want a decent optic with reliable dependability backed by good Customer Support.

To put things in perspective. Yesterday I repeatedly hit a 6" plate at 320 yards with my $329 completly factory pencil barreled Howa MA 223 topped with a hundred dollar Hawke 2-7x32 with a simple 30-30 reticle. That's with 11 mph winds and cheap Fiocchi box ammo. I use a similar scope to tear up beer cans at 100 yards with 8.44 gr pellets from an 8 FPE Hw30. I know neither of these are examples breath taking but they're not shabby either. For me nice equipment is a luxury not a requirement. At my level of jerk off shooting general skills and reliability are more important than Chromatic aberration and the like. However I loathe crappy CS.

I'm not arguing with you. We have different priorities. I'm not shooting competion. I just wanted something maybe better than my 3.5-14 Nikon Prostaff 5 or 6-24 Viper HST. The HST is fine for me until I get close to max magnification. At that point the PS5 is actually better. For my local recreational and hunting purposes, optically I could shoot either of these two scopes mentioned out to 500-800 yards. I just wanted to treat myself to something a little nicer if I ever stretched this new gun out to 1000. I just want a decent optic with reliable dependability backed by good Customer Support.

To put things in perspective. Yesterday I repeatedly hit a 6" plate at 320 yards with my $329 completly factory pencil barreled Howa MA 223 topped with a hundred dollar Hawke 2-7x32 with a simple 30-30 reticle. That's with 11 mph winds and cheap Fiocchi box ammo. I use a similar scope to tear up beer cans at 100 yards with 8.44 gr pellets from an 8 FPE Hw30. I know neither of these are examples breath taking but they're not shabby either. For me nice equipment is a luxury not a requirement. At my level of jerk off shooting general skills and reliability are more important than Chromatic aberration and the like. However I loathe crappy CS.
I'm not arguing with you either. However, when you say your budget goes up to $xxxx, don't get upset when people tell you to buy the nicest thing your budget will allow, because you said you wanted to treat yourself to something nice. Then when you decide to drop your budget, they tell you that by doing so, you're going to sacrifice quality and potential for NOT needing to use that warrant and customer service that you are so adamant about. Quality costs money, and with said quality, and dedication to taking care of your gear (I do know shit happens out of our control sometimes) your odds of ever needing to utilize that customer service for a genuine manufacturing defect, are exponentially decreased (nothing man-made is ever zero).

That said, cheap shit gets replaced with more cheap shit when you send it in for warranty, and it's a vicious cycle of mediocrity...Been there, done that...MANY times over the years. So have many of us here on the forum....Which is why we're trying to help you, not to make you spend money you don't want to. This is why a lot of people out there won't own a Vortex scope (myself included anymore) that is lower tier than the Razor line...We've got many rounds downrange with the lower-line stuff, and the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze. Many folks won't buy a Burris that is lower than the XTR-3. Some won't buy a Zeiss that's lower than a V4 or V6. Or a Swarovski that's lower than a Z5i or Z6i. It's not because we're rich, or want to be snobby, or feel the need to showoff...It's because there is a point where you actually start getting the quality that you pay your hard-earned money for, but that increased level of quality comes at a price... $$$.

A used Bushnell 3-12 LRHS or LRTS is another option. That gets you decent glass quality and made in japan instead of phillipines/china. Most of the FFP scopes have reticules that are hard to pick up quickly below 8X the bushnell has a donut of death sorta thing which is easier to see.

A used Bushnell 3-12 LRHS or LRTS is another option. That gets you decent glass quality and made in japan instead of phillipines/china. Most of the FFP scopes have reticules that are hard to pick up quickly below 8X the bushnell has a donut of death sorta thing which is easier to see.
Hard to find the 3-12 model as it seems like they are now very popular.
But otherwise yeah the LRHS/LRTS is a nice scope.

Thanks again
If you aren't keen on the XTR3 then I'd strongly suggest the PST Gen2 3-15.
I've had one for many years now switching it between rifles as needed and am continually impressed by it, if it had capped windage it'd be damn near perfect (at the price point). The PST Gen 2 will be a big improvement glass wise over the HST.
If you can find the older EBR-2c or EBR-2d reticles these are thicker than the 7c and are noticeably thicker at lower magnification.

Vortex is probably your best bet in this price range, they also have the Strike Eagle and Venom 3-18x44 models.
Athlon do a 3-18x50 Ares ETR but that's a bit out of your price range, I've only seen one version of the 2.5-15 Eres BTR and thought it was terrible.
There is also the Athlon Helos BTR 4-20x50, I've not used one but there are a few reviews on here.

The 3-16 Sightron STAC is kinda crap, I wouldn't want one purely for the FOV being tiny.
The 3-15 SWFA would be worth considering but lack of zero stop would put me off.

Update.
I called Burris after a little bit of searching for their number. They're shipping me out a replacement throw lever for my RT-6 and offered to pick up the scope to check for a battery drain. I opted to see what happens with a fresh battery. All in all it was a good experience so I'm reconsidering their XTR 2 or maybe a XTR 3.

I'm temporarily mounting my Pro Staff 5 3.5-14x40 to confirm my magnification needs. I had another fast moving coyote this morning. First shot was probably 20 yards past my 480 landmark. Then it sprinted another 250ish away. I got off a total of ten shots at 3x with my hastily grabbed AR. I need a better rangefinder and alot more luck 😅. I may opt for a 5-25x for the bolt gun.

If you aren't keen on the XTR3 then I'd strongly suggest the PST Gen2 3-15.
I've had one for many years now switching it between rifles as needed and am continually impressed by it, if it had capped windage it'd be damn near perfect (at the price point). The PST Gen 2 will be a big improvement glass wise over the HST.
If you can find the older EBR-2c or EBR-2d reticles these are thicker than the 7c and are noticeably thicker at lower magnification.

Vortex is probably your best bet in this price range, they also have the Strike Eagle and Venom 3-18x44 models.
Athlon do a 3-18x50 Ares ETR but that's a bit out of your price range, I've only seen one version of the 2.5-15 Eres BTR and thought it was terrible.
There is also the Athlon Helos BTR 4-20x50, I've not used one but there are a few reviews on here.

The 3-16 Sightron STAC is kinda crap, I wouldn't want one purely for the FOV being tiny.
The 3-15 SWFA would be worth considering but lack of zero stop would put me off.
After a lot of digging I think I found a new Viper PST Gen 2, 3-15x with the EBR-2C mil reticle for $513. Optics Planet has it available in 1-4 months.🙄 I'll run my 3.5-14x40 Prostaff 5 temporarily on a flat trail to see if I need more magnification or base tilt. Luckily I can cancel the order if I need more magnification. For this price I think it's worth the wait. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ron

Reactions: beetroot
After a lot of digging I think I found a new Viper PST Gen 2, 3-15x with the EBR-2C mil reticle for $513. Optics Planet has it available in 1-4 months.🙄 I'll run my 3.5-14x40 Prostaff 5 temporarily on a flat trail to see if I need more magnification or base tilt. Luckily I can cancel the order if I need more magnification. For this price I think it's worth the wait. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ron
Best of luck… Optics Planet is a scam. They tell you things are in stock that really aren’t, they take your money then never ship the items, getting a refund is a pain in the ass. Been there, as well. Most of us here won’t do business with them, as well. Look up the thread “Optics Planet Sucks”. They’ve screwed thousands of people with shitty and sketchy business practices. 👍🏼

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/optics-planet-sucks.7016052/

Last edited:
Best of luck… Optics Planet is a scam. They tell you things are in stock that really aren’t, they take your money then never ship the items, getting a refund is a pain in the ass. Been there, as well. Most of us here won’t do business with them, as well. Look up the thread “Optics Planet Sucks”. They’ve screwed thousands of people with shitty and sketchy business practices. 👍🏼

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/optics-planet-sucks.7016052/
Well aren't you a bucket of sunshine 😉 I've heard the horror stories. For ten years I've had pretty good luck with them and DVOR which I believe is the same company. At worst, I'll cancel if I get tired of waiting or find some better deal. I won't be out anything but time.

he's indisputably correct... but hey, it's your money
He maybe right. I'm willing to roll the dice when there's no money to lose and a good bargain involved. I'll use the waiting time to see if the magnification range really works for me. In the interim I may learn a second focal-plane might be better or the magnification insufficient. If that happens or I get tired of waiting, I can cancel with nothing lost. There's really no downside here that I can see.

Well aren't you a bucket of sunshine 😉 I've heard the horror stories. For ten years I've had pretty good luck with them and DVOR which I believe is the same company. At worst, I'll cancel if I get tired of waiting or find some better deal. I won't be out anything but time.
If you don't have money tied up with it then no loss really.
In 1-4 months we might have a new PST anyway so waiting (if you can) isn't a bad thing.

If you need something sooner this link from post #28 looks like a screaming deal.
I can't vouch for the company/website but if it's legit then it'd be a nice upgrade over the Nikon.
https://gun.deals/node/1264066

If you don't have money tied up with it then no loss really.
In 1-4 months we might have a new PST anyway so waiting (if you can) isn't a bad thing.

If you need something sooner this link from post #28 looks like a screaming deal.
I can't vouch for the company/website but if it's legit then it'd be a nice upgrade over the Nikon.
https://gun.deals/node/1264066
Thanks I looked at that. I didn't feel confident the site was legit. I think the PST deal might be better if it works out. My impatient nature would like to piece this gun together yesterday but optics planet slowing me down might help me make a better decision. The same impatient nature brought me a second ex wife, two children and decades of poverty.

I'd recommend the Meopta 3-18x50. Exceptional glass, very bright, great reticle if you get the Mrad1, and affordable. It's a bit too long, heavy and the turrets are a bit too tall for tac stuff but that doesn't matter much for precision work. The specs are inline with most other offerings honestly. And they probably didn't compromise anything optically by trying to go compact. There are really no downsides to the Meopta. Finding one with the MRAD reticle can be difficult though.