• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 3-18x

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Looking for a 3-18x or close in mag range, for my mk12'ish build. Would prefer an optic line that has a 30x+ model in the lineup, so the reticle would be the same for the large frame, when I get an optic for that rig as well. Leaning toward the atacr but hesitating because its 4x on the bottom.

-Looking at Kahles 318, NX8, Mark 5hd, Gen II razor 3-18, and Atacr 4-16/20.
-Looking for tracking durability, then glass, then adj. range.

IOR

For the Schott glass of course.

Honestly, if you are looking at the mk5, look at the xtr 3.
That scope shares a reticle with the 5-30 xtr 3.
And may, just may, someday share another nice reticle burris uses.
Look at the Bushy DMr 3 too.
Buddy is using one for that role.
I am trying the XRS 3 and its working well for me so far.

I can comment on the Mk5HD and ATACR.

Mark 5HD if you're looking to save a little weight and a little cash. It has a bit of chromatic aberration compared to the ATACR, not terrible but noticeable if you look for it. The ATACR has the advantage of uniform Mil-XT reticles across the product line, without the added Horus premium for the Tremor3. The illumination is better on the Mil-XT reticles. For magnification, I'd be surprised if 3.6x vs 4x on the low end was even noticeable in practice; piggyback an RMR if you need true 1x for closer / NV stuff. Similarly, on the high end, 16 vs 18x is not a huge difference in practice; both are sufficient out to a kilometer.

Overall I'd say the ATACR 4-16 is the better optic, but it's a little bit heavier and a lot more expensive. The Mk5HD definitely does not suck, I have two of them.

Depending on the load you're using, and how far you're shooting, you may not actually need the most extreme amount of elevation adjustment. Check your favorite ballistic calculator, but it looks like a 1000m shot would need around 15 mils of elevation in your area. Do you have access to ranges that long? The Mk5HD is the winner for elevation, due to its thiccc tube, though a holdover reticle will buy you an extra 10 mils or so.

Reactions: Gar. and simonp
Nx8 2.5-20 then the MK5. Only 2 I can comment on.

I’ve got the mark 5 T3 I got last year from Liberty (best price I’ve ever seen, but no longer Carries them). I just got a 3-18x XTR3, I think it would be a good Choice.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
I considered the 4-16 ATACR and the MK5. Went MK5 on my SPRish rifle. PR1 Mil illuminated. Very useable reticle on low mag. Not a cluttered reticle to help catch splash on the little 77’s that can get hard to see at 700 and beyond.

Little lighter, little more mag, little more elevation. Tracks 100%, good zero stop.
64142976-99A9-41D1-86AD-90E903C12773.jpeg

The MK5 is better than my 4-32 NX8 which is supposed to be better than the 2.5-20. No it doesn’t measure up to the 7-35 ATACR I primarily run but it is a lot of glass for the coin.

I've been in this boat for a while for 18" .308 Semi, and I think I've narrowed it down to the 4x ATACR or 3-18x XTR III. I was looking at the NX8 but hearing about eyebox issues I want something that I can quickly get a good picture. I will probably add a small red-dot for close up. If I could afford, or justify it, I would be going with the March 2.5-25.

The XTRIII comes in the 3.3-18×50 and the 5.5-30×56. Both with the SCR2 grid reticle and red/green selectable illumination, Race Dial, and largest FOV of all the scopes you've mentioned. These scopes are tough as nails and you'll be hard put to find anyone who will say they had an XTRII or XTRIII that didn't track. They have a hell of a good reputation for durability and tracking.

The Burris is far better value than the NX8. Just as good if not a little better apples to apples, significantly less money. I like the Leupold, but again, you'll pay more for a scope that is extremely comparable when placed side by side. Especially if you want illumination.

I really like the 18x Kahles, I havent seen the Razor yet. And I also do like the 4-20 ATACR, But I'm not a fan of the larger magnification ATACRs. They're very tunnel'ish to me.

You can have an 18x AND a 30x XTRIII for the price of one of your more expensive choices 😉

The Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 is a very impressive optic for the price. The more I use it, the more I like it. Last night I was using the Steiner in rotation with my Hensoldt 3-12x56 and 4-16x56 in low light and with a clip-on. The low light and general optical performance is very good. The lit MSR2 reticle is nice. The turrets are maybe my all around favorite, and I have NF and ZCO. I really like the feel, mils/rotation, that they are easily lockable, and the windows that change numbers are really slick. It is just overall a well thought out package that is nice to use for the price, good job Steiner.

The Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 is a very impressive optic for the price. The more I use it, the more I like it. Last night I was using the Steiner in rotation with my Hensoldt 3-12x56 and 4-16x56 in low light and with a clip-on. The low light and general optical performance is very good. The lit MSR2 reticle is nice. The turrets are maybe my all around favorite, and I have NF and ZCO. I really like the feel, mils/rotation, that they are easily lockable, and the windows that change numbers are really slick. It is just overall a well thought out package that is nice to use for the price, good job Steiner.

I agree it's surprisingly good to me as well

Looking for a 3-18x or close in mag range, for my mk12'ish build. Would prefer an optic line that has a 30x+ model in the lineup, so the reticle would be the same for the large frame, when I get an optic for that rig as well. Leaning toward the atacr but hesitating because its 4x on the bottom.

Kahles K318i… 👍🏼

Reactions: Charger442

I'd also look at the Zero Compromise Optic ZC420 4-20x50. PM me your number and I can give you a call and discuss all those options :)
- Richard@CST
Licentia ZC420 clip on.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
Sent 3 back for paralax binding... It's a pretty common issue
And your point is? I’ve personally looked through 6 S&B’s from the same lot (at the same dealer) that somehow made it through QC, and had to be sent back due to shitty glass quality. Every company has issues, and none are infallible. We are talking about man-made items.

Guy comes here looking for the best 3-18, is considering high tier options, and gets recommended a shitty Phillipino Burris 😂

TT315M
S&B US 5-20 or 3-20
ATACR 4-16x42
MK5 3.6-18

Those are the solid options.

In one breath you bash the shitty Phillipino Burris, and in the next breath you recommend a Leupy MK5 no better than the Burris but costing $800 more money 🤣

Well played sir.. 😉

I can recommend Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18 X 50. The V6 optics provide good clarity, good eyebox, minimal eye strain, and good low light capability. I have never noticed any of the "tunneling" effect mentioned by others. The 3x to 18x power range works great for all hunting terrain/conditions, and works well at the range during handload development, too.

Reactions: FuhQ
I'd also look at the Zero Compromise Optic ZC420 4-20x50 :) PM me your number and I can give you a call and discuss all those options :)
- Richard@CST
View attachment 8045201
I have zero stake in this, don't know you, and don't even live in USA. (Not at shot show this year too, so can't catch up for a beer).

Just wanna call you out... On your customer service. I've seen you do this a few times. Go out of your way to help people. Here's to you, and keep up the awesome job !

Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 isn't shabby. Looong body, but on the lighter side. I'm sure it will have shortcomings compared to pricier competition, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Reactions: JS8588
I’ll put mine up against yours. Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio this summer head hunter comp.

So you want me to drive 1000+ miles to you to compare a MK5 to a Phillipino Burris? People on the internet are fucking funny. I've owned Steiners which are way better than anything with the Burris label and the MK5 is even superior to that.

Reactions: P0WDERHOWND
I have zero stake in this, don't know you, and don't even live in USA. (Not at shot show this year too, so can't catch up for a beer).

Just wanna call you out... On your customer service. I've seen you do this a few times. Go out of your way to help people. Here's to you, and keep up the awesome job !

thank-you-gif-46.gif

Were it my money, for an all-arounder, I'd get the ZCO420 (again.) I run the TT315P also and it is a great optic, but not $1k better than the ZCO.

From your list in particular, I don't buy Kahles or Leupold, been fucked by both companies, the NX8 and ATACR are good scopes, the deal in the bunch is the Razer if you can deal with the weight. I've run that scope, the 3-18 in particular, since it came out and have been happy with it. It is far easier - to me - to get behind than the 4.5-27, glass is good, turrets are rock solid, and good reticle options.

If you want to play the "buy once, cry once" game, get the 420 ZCO. And it has a big brother for a longer range rig. They ain't cheap, but are great in every way I define a scope.

I had the Mark5 3-18 T3, it was a great scope. I have 3x 3-18x Burris scopes and 3x 5.5-30x all the new illuminated mil scr2. Every time I take them out people are surprised about the quality. The Mark 5 is ever so slightly better quality then the XTR3, but at the price I pay for the XTR it the BEST deal going for them. When paying full retail for a Mark5 3-18 (over $2300 for the T3) you can buy 2x XTR3 from Liberty and mounts/rings.

NF ATACR 4-16 or 4-20- The locking low profile elevation on the 4-16 makes it a great gas gun optic. The 4-20 has the larger turrets like the 7-35 has. They will tunnel a bit at lower power. My 4-20 is more like a 5.5-20

But when it comes to durability/reliability being number one concern, which is always my concern over glass and features, the atacr is always in the tier of options

They all have their own reticles so look at those and that may help make your choice. I have Mil-XT NF

Reactions: Dobermann
If you think that Burris is on par with a Mark 5 you’re off your meds.

I'm always off my meds brother..

But after seeing three years of comparisons and opinions here on this forum and others from multitudes of shooters, as well as more side by sides with this optic than anyone can beat with a stick, I feel pretty confident in my assessment.

But I respect your opinion as always. I'll agree to disagree with you and just let everyone else make up their own mind.

I do a side by side comparison every time i go to the range, i give a edge the the MK5 over the XTR III not that I'll complain and shit on the Burris,it's a great scope both companies are great to deal with.

Reactions: Modoc
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 isn't shabby. Looong body, but on the lighter side. I'm sure it will have shortcomings compared to pricier competition, but I've enjoyed it so far.
It's also holding up well in the Rokslide field evaluation, including drop tests. More than likely could be said for some of the other suggestions in this thread ...

Unfortunately it looks like Vortex has discontinued the 3-18 gen 2 razor.

Unfortunately it looks like Vortex has discontinued the 3-18 gen 2 razor.
Not surprising, it was far to heavy for an optic in that mag range. Pretty much every use case for a scope that heavy leads to just going for the 4.5-27.
Basically every single forum post since that scope came out said just buy the 4.5-27 due to weight.

I'd love to see the number of sales of each mag range, I imagine it would be extremely weighted towards the 4.5-27.

Personally im all Kahles 318i all the time. I am nearsighted and shoot with glasses . The eye box and reticle are better than everything else listed above for me (I havent tried the ZCO 420 so excluding that). I have a few Mark 5's as well and like them for the money but not really comparable glass quality to the Kahles IMO. Ive had zero parallax issues with any of my 5. I had 1 issue with the illumination on one which I sent in for repair. It took about a month but was repaired for free and have had zero issues since. Good luck! There are lots of great options out there.

Guy comes here looking for the best 3-18, is considering high tier options, and gets recommended a shitty Phillipino Burris 😂

TT315M
S&B US 5-20 or 3-20
ATACR 4-16x42
MK5 3.6-18

I bought the 3.3-18 XTRIIIi, put it on my 223, sighted it in, loved the FOV. Took it on an evening coyote hunt and realized that above 15x the glass was horrible. I had an XTRII years ago and it was clearer that the XTRIIIi. Sent it back to Burris, they had it for two weeks and sent it back with a clean bill of health. Sold it right away. I will stick with my Minox ZP5 3-15.

BTW, the Burris reticle wasn't much use below 6x unless you had the illumination on green and all the way up.

Reactions: Maddog51

TT315M
S&B US 5-20 or 3-20
ATACR 4-16x42
MK5 3.6-18

Why the tt315m vs the tt315p? Doesn’t the tt315p have the same turrets as the tt525?

Has anyone compared the Steiner t6 3-18 to the Burris xtr3 or mk5hd? I’ve had both the Burris and the mk5. I just saw camera land has a good deal going on the Steiner

Sent 3 back for paralax binding... It's a pretty common issue

Common to Khales in general or just the K318 model?

I have 3 Khales, but no K318. The K318 seems like a great scope on paper, bummer if parallax binding is a common issue. I haven't had any issues with my Khales (all K624's), but it's only a sample size of 3...

Reactions: P0WDERHOWND
We have been getting excellent feedback on the new Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56's

Steiner as a brand has never really got the recognition it deserves in the US.

My M5 (which is now on my wife's 6BRA), is an excellent scope. Optical quality is excellent, build quality is excellent, turrets are good but you could critique the M5's as being slightly mushy, though reticle selection could be improved.

I wouldn't be afraid to get another Steiner. Your deals on the T6 3-18's look like a good value, certainly worth a consideration amongst the 3-18 crowd.