• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best 3-Gun Shotgun

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
So I ran the hide search and came up empty on anything really "Shotgun". I am looking to start a little 3 gun action and have 3 models in mind. The FN SLP, Benelli M2, and the Saiga 12. Any suggestions? I am a bit concerned with the reliablity of the Saige. Are there any other shotgun post on the hide? I love my Rem 870 and 1100, gotta respect the scatter gun!

Price Points.
FN SLP: $900 Votes:6
Benelli M2: $1200 Votes:5.5
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Saiga 12: $650 Votes:0 no longer considered</span>
Mossberg 930: $600 Votes: 2

Here is the 1100 that I have high hope for, if I can keep it from rusting out!

100_6583.jpg

Thanks,
OW

Re: Best 3-Gun Shotgun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mossberg 930spx </div></div>

Looks good I had not check out Mossberg, since I had a bad 500 a few years. The 930 took the 2009 Shotgun of the year and the $600 price point not bad. Seems to have had some bad marks on the first product release, but appears to have had them worked out. Looks alot like the FN.

Thanks,
OW

Benelli M2 field and don't look back. Got one earlier this year and it rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattsnuked</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benelli M2 field and don't look back. Got one earlier this year and it rocks. </div></div>

I really like the 21" M2,I think it can hold 9 without the extension going out past the barrel. The confort stock looks nice but the pistol grip stock might be a bit better to hang on to when running a course.

Thank,
OW

Keep in mind that it's my understanding that you want 8+1 capacity in a 3 gun shotgun these days, or more if open class. Not that others won't work but if you want a 3 gun shotgun I'd want something with that or higher, so that's a 21-24" barrel in most guns.

Also keep in mind that I believe in some matches running a Saiga (detachable mag) will put you in the open class automatically.

The M1/M2 with a 21/24" barrel is still a favorite. The SLP Mark I would also be a nice option.

I believe a lot of guys actually prefer the non-pistol grip stock (that's what I've heard anyway) because it's faster to deal with than the pistol grip version, also less "things" sticking out to get caught on stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep in mind that it's my understanding that you want 8+1 capacity in a 3 gun shotgun these days, or more if open class. Not that others won't work but if you want a 3 gun shotgun I'd want something with that or higher, so that's a 21-24" barrel in most guns.

Also keep in mind that I believe in some matches running a Saiga (detachable mag) will put you in the open class automatically.

The M1/M2 with a 21/24" barrel is still a favorite. The SLP Mark I would also be a nice option.

I believe a lot of guys actually prefer the non-pistol grip stock (that's what I've heard anyway) because it's faster to deal with than the pistol grip version, also less "things" sticking out to get caught on stuff. </div></div>

Thanks for the info on the Saiga, since I am just starting I want to stay away from the open class. I have read that the conform stock on the M2 can reduce felt recoil by over 40%, that would be nice for faster follow-on shots. I also need to download the "general" match rules for some local 3 gun comps. I think I will be good running a stock 226 and M&P 15. So I now I am back down to three options on the shotgun. I wonder if you can get a 21" barrel on the mossberg 930, it looks like the 18.5" is standard.

Thanks,
OW

I have owned a Remington 1100 Comp. Master and sold it because I won a FNH SLP. I like the SLP over the 1100, SLP seems to me to shoot softer. There is a big difference in feel between the two but after shooting the FN a bit I got used to it. I have shot my friends M2 field and personaly wouldn't trade my SLP for it, except to resell maybe and put some cash in my pocket. Recoil felt quite a bit more with the M2 to me. Not to push someone towards another web site, but you might check out Brian Enos site for 3 gun stuff, quite a bit of info there.

And the Saiga puts you in Open at every match I've been to.

Mossberg will be introducing a new 3gun model soon. Pistol grips on a Benelli is bad juju, less reliable and recoil recovery is worse.

What I have experienced and observed is there is not a shotgun made that will stand up to the 3 gun game. That being said the Benelli is probably the most reliable of the bunch.

Thanks for the link, I have read a few reviews saying that the SLP is currently the "fastest" cycling product shotgun. I personally can neither confirm nor deny this but there seems to be alot of supporting info on it. Also it comes with 2 pistons for different loads right?

Thanks,
OW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mossberg will be introducing a new 3gun model soon. Pistol grips on a Benelli is bad juju, less reliable and recoil recovery is worse.

What I have experienced and observed is there is not a shotgun made that will stand up to the 3 gun game. That being said the Benelli is probably the most reliable of the bunch. </div></div>

Are you talking about the 930 or is there something new in the works?

Thanks,
OW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OverWatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the link, I have read a few reviews saying that the SLP is currently the "fastest" cycling product shotgun. I personally can neither confirm nor deny this but there seems to be alot of supporting info on it. Also it comes with 2 pistons for different loads right?

Thanks,
OW </div></div>

It comes with both light and heavy pistons. I haven't done it yet, but I believe if replace the recoil spring with a light Browning Gold recoil spring and run the heavy piston it cycles the lighter loads more reliable. Some people have cycling problems with lighter loads until it is "broke in" with heavy loads. I never had any problems with mine so I haven't change it yet. Mine cycles as fast as I can pull the trigger.

Of course it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend. I just picked up an M2 modified by Salient Arms. Most of the top 3 gunners are using it now, including Tarun Butler and Kurt Miller. Kurt is involved in the development of the 930; he says it's a great gun but will never be a Salient M2. You can buy a stock M2, but if you plan on changing parts out you are probably better getting one already done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Pistol grips on a Benelli is bad juju, less reliable and recoil recovery is worse.
</div></div>

A lot of people say that, but Tarun Butler seems to come in the top few spots at every 3 gun match he enters using a pistol grip Benelli.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend. I just picked up an M2 modified by Salient Arms. Most of the top 3 gunners are using it now, including Tarun Butler and Kurt Miller. Kurt is involved in the development of the 930; he says it's a great gun but will never be a Salient M2. You can buy a stock M2, but if you plan on changing parts out you are probably better getting one already done. </div></div>

I will never challenge the "you get what you pay for" saying. But with that being said, as with every thing,I really want to get the most "bang for the buck". Without a doubt I want a reliable shotgun. I just want to make just I don't waste money on a "brand x,y,z" when I could use the extra $$ on ammo.

Thanks for all the input. This is going to be a hard call to make. But the 930 is looking pretty good.
OW

I run a benelli m2, I have over run the trigger once or twice but the gun has yet to fail me. I have heard good things about the FN and the 930, the best thing I have heard is about the 930 and Benny hill modifying one for 3 gun.

Thanks, I was reading a post about the Benny Hill 930 over on Brian Enos, I look forward to see how it works out.

Lets call that:

+ 1.5 for M2
+ 1 FN
+ 1 930

OW

Overwatch,

I would personally get the Benelli M4. But, if you don't plan on hanging a bunch of stuff off of your shotty, then the M2 will do.

The inertia system in the M1/M2's are sensitive to how much weight is put onto them. The M4 is gas and not sensitive to how much equipment you mount on the gun, how powerful or not a shell is. The *ONLY* malfunctions I've had in my M4 in 2300 or so rds is after I ran it for about 750-800rds not doing one_single_thing to it, no lube, no cleaning, NOTHING!

My second vote, odd as it may seem would be a Rem 870. There are SO MANY accessories out there for these, it's crazy!

Here's a one of mine.
BenLeft.jpg

Now, I've not shot a Saiga or FN either. I have fired the M2, Rem 870 and 1100.

If you start leaning towards the Benelli route, check out the Benelli forums here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/index.php

Friendly folks there. Just try the search function first because a lot of questions have been answered. If you can't find it, just ask!
smile.gif

Best of luck!!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hike your skirt up and run an 870 </div></div>

I love my 870 but I have it set up for close in, 18" and a knox stock, not very good for 3 gun and I had my 1100 cut down to 21" and treaded for a choke (tried to go CM on it)but now it will not cycle with any thing other than very heavy loads reliable.

Thanks,
OW

G45.

Thanks, for the input. Alot of people love the Benelli. Do guys run many 870s in 3-GUN? I don't want to lose a ton of time since I am the guy running a pump on the course.

Thanks,
OW

+1 for M2

If you were thinking of running a pump the 870 is not IMHO the pump gun to get. Benelli Nova easier to run properly and easier to load than the 870. And in 3gun shotgun is about reloading a lot of the time.

And if you like the FN SLP dont forget to take a look at the Winchester SX3 same gun with vent rib. For that matter if I was getting an FN I would order it from FN then you can get it with the vent rib instead of the cantilever mount barrel which is to heavy for my taste.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And if you like the FN SLP dont forget to take a look at the Winchester SX3 same gun with vent rib. For that matter if I was getting an FN I would order it from FN then you can get it with the vent rib instead of the cantilever mount barrel which is to heavy for my taste. </div></div>

That is good to know, I wonder what the weight difference is?

Thanks,
OW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you were thinking of running a pump the 870 is not IMHO the pump gun to get. Benelli Nova easier to run properly and easier to load than the 870. And in 3gun shotgun is about reloading a lot of the time. </div></div>

The pump is not my first choice but I might run my 870 if I get to my first match prior to finding the "right" semi. I picked up a couple shell caddies. for reloading, a little odd to use and I think the hold will be slightly different for each shotgun.

Thanks,
OW

The M4 while a great gun for other purposes is not a great 3 gun option.

First of all it's overpriced, second of all it's heavy and it's only 7+1. The only thing the M4 does better than the M2 is it looks bad ass, and you can bolt a bunch of tacticool stuff to it (making it even heavier) without affecting it's reliability.

I run a HK marked Benelli M1S90. It's an 18.5" but I can ghost load and get 8+1. Std. stock with factory ghost ring sights. The pistol grip is comfortable but when I tried to use it I realized really quickly that the grip meant I had to change the motions of my reload. I went back to the regular stock.

I've read about some people having trouble with light loads. My M1 will run Dove/Target loads without a hiccup as long as they are 3 1/4 dram. It does have slightly more recoil than my 11-87 but cycles much faster.

From your list, I'd lean toward the FN. I got a chance to handle a 22" SLP a while back and really liked the feel of it. I decided if I ever buy another semi-auto shotgun that would be it.

I run the FNH SLP. It is a great gun. Send it off to C-RUM and get your follower welded up so you don't get any stuck thumbs and you are ready to rock and roll. If you decide to go open division you can mount an optic on the rail.

Price is not a huge factor, but when it boils down to it, does a M2 out perform a FN or 930 to justify near double the investment? I am sure there is alot of brand loyalty when it comes to picking a new stick no matter what the intended use. But lucky for me I am only loyal to getting the right tool for the job. In the few hours this post has been running I have learned alot. Three common areas are barrel lenght no shorter than 21", 8 +1 round count, no pistol grip. I want to stay out of the open class so no detachable mags secondary sights or barrels over 22". Thanks for all the input.

OW

I say run a 1187 and dont look back, I love mine and i won a match or 2 with it

Does not matter really.

Make sure it runs all the time and hits where you point it.

I use a 21 inch Benelli M2. I would avoid most gas guns. However the FN is a solid choice if you want a gasser.

Get the SLP, add a Nordic +1 tube ext. and Nordic bolt knob. You can get an aftermarket bolt release but not necessary, although does help. Have the carrier welded and lower receiver opened up. Buy a modified and light-full extended chokes and you'll be ready to go. You can do all of that and still have less than the M2 will cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OverWatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G45.

Thanks, for the input. Alot of people love the Benelli. Do guys run many 870s in 3-GUN? I don't want to lose a ton of time since I am the guy running a pump on the course.

Thanks,
OW

+1 for M2 </div></div>

OW,

The 3-guns I've been to, people are running everything. People have anything from a stock Mossberg to tricked out Benellis, hunting guns and everything in-between.

If all you're going to do is put on a magazine extender and some decent sights, and you'll carry all your ammo on-person, yeah, get the M2!! As a poster above said, the M4 does get heavy, I haven't weighed mine, but I don't care. It's just plain fun!! Sad as it sounds, I have about as much into that shotty as some do into their rifles(before scopes!)

Regardless, I'm a huge Benelli fan. Their CS has been good with questions I've had(NO ISSUES, just questions!) Their firearms are rock solid to me. I have the M4 and a Supersport I use for skeet/trap. The Supersport also has performed without failure for me.

Keep us posted!!

-G45

I shoot a Benelli M1 super 90 but since it is one of your first matches, I would consider just using what you have for the first few matches. I imagine most guys at the match would let you shoot their set up if you ask.

i vote for that new keltec haha

unless you plan on jumping full time into 3 gun, shoot what you have, you first need to pick a class that you like and then a gun that matches that class. A prime example of this is guys that like to shoot the saiga but dont realize that it put them into the open class and many guys would rather shoot the tactical class

might i say something about the FN. it is an identical gun to the browning gold sporting or silver sporting, as far as i can tell. that being said. my wife has a gold sporting that is about the lightest recoiling gun i have ever seen. but i have had more problems getting the thing to run correctly. it constantly has cycling issues, and must be cleaned with in 400-500 rounds, some times sooner.

I run an Rem 1100.

For the record, the Benelli M4 would not even be remotely competitive. Also, it is highly likely that the firearm assembled and pictured above is in violation of 922(r) unless its owner has a letter in hand from the BATFE authorizing that configuration. No such shotgun has ever been imported or sold for civilian use in the United States.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also, it is highly likely that the firearm assembled and pictured above is in violation of 922(r) unless its owner has a letter in hand from the BATFE authorizing that configuration. No such shotgun has ever been imported or sold for civilian use in the United States. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Pretty sure the shotgun oictured is an 870</span>Disregard-half asleep on laptop earlier

.....<span style="text-decoration: line-through">not under 922(r) last I checked</span>. Unsure of 922(r) application to shotties

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BenLeft.jpg
</div></div>

^sorbiker,

I don't know about 922r, but you might want to look again... That's not an 870
wink.gif

i gotta chime in here......

1100's w/ extended tubes and speed loader is what i run with now...

the saiga would be something to really really consider,

the last guy at some of the matches in tiger valley ran one with his home made 19 round stick mag (he had two of them)....very impressive and with a bit of practice ....was not beatable!

FN or Super X 2
Benelli M1 or M2
Might look at the new Remington Versa max.

I've run a SX 2 for the last 5 or 6 years and don't plan to change. Also have a HK M1 S 90 all tricked out that is lighter but I can't shoot it as fast. The SX 2 just fits me. Would guess there are around 5000 rnds. on the SX 2, have replaced the interrupter latch spring and the tube spring, other than that it just runs and runs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd play "run what you brung" with your 870 and then decide after a few matches and seeing/checking out what others (winning folks) are running.</div></div>This, unless you just want to get another gun, but then you should get what you want, not what we tell you to get
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

^sorbiker,

I don't know about 922r, but you might want to look again... That's not an 870
wink.gif
. </div></div>

DOH!

I stand corrected (and too tired to look into whether 922(r) applies to shotties.