• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .300 Win Mag for Long Range

rasselzahid

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2014
Denver
Hi Everybody This is my First Thread in Sniper's Hide forum. I just bought a 2014 AI AXMC .300 win Mag Rifle. I need some help with deciding on Bullet choice. I am gonna shoot steel target 500 yard or below need to find cheap (but don't want to destroy my expensive gun) .300 win mag ammunition for all day shooting. And also I need something good over 500 yard up to a Mile(This ammunition has to be the best or higher BC etc....price doesn't matter) on paper or steel target. please let me know the brand,grains for both distances. (by the way I am not interested on reloading). Looking for something right out the Box for best accuracy. Thanks for your time. cheers!

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with Southwest Ammunition - 300 Winchester. I've never tried their 300 Win mag, but their 260 remington ammunition is awesome.

The 230 berger Hybrid is the highest BC bullet available in 30 cal.

Hi Everybody This is my First Thread in Sniper's Hide forum. I just bought a 2014 AI AXMC .300 win Mag Rifle. I need some help with deciding on Bullet choice. I am gonna shoot steel target 500 yard or below need to find cheap (but don't want to destroy my expensive gun) .300 win mag ammunition for all day shooting. And also I need something good over 500 yard up to a Mile(This ammunition has to be the best or higher BC etc....price doesn't matter) on paper or steel target. please let me know the brand,grains for both distances. (by the way I am not interested on reloading). Looking for something right out the Box for best accuracy. Thanks for your time. cheers!

Last edited:
Sir:

If you can find military 300 win mag ammo, in my experience that will shoot well.

Please excuse me for being blunt but you bought a very expensive rifle and you do not want to reload? What is up with that? You give up a lot of accuracy and force yourself into very expensive ammunition because you are unwilling to reload.

FWIW I found that the Berger VLD bullets are excellent but with the best seating depth they don't fit in my magazine. I shoot 240 grain Sierra HPBT match bullets -- they are slow but they have outstanding BC. In my rifle they group between .3 and .6 MOA at either 100 or 200 yards. Those bullets really bounce my little steel targets at 500 meters.

Good Lord, dude. You bought one of the sexiest rifle in the market and don't want to reload for it? Please don't do that for your rifle. Seriously, once you start reloading, it will get much more fun than just being a range queen.

Any how, if money is not an object try with Federal Gold Match. I believe it's seated with 190 gr Sierra Match King. It is one the finest. It won't let you down. Unless you are hunting with it, try not to go lighter round.

Since it's shooting magnum rounds, 500 yards and closer will be like shooting point blank. Like less than 3 Mils up. But, even if you are shooting shorter distance and take it to 1000 yards and beyond, try not to mix with different bullets. Because you will never develop a good DOPE chart for your rifle. Consistency is the key to the long range shooting. Most of the premium ammo will give you high grade of accuracy, but if they get mixed they will be hitting different places all the time.

Hope I made any sense to you. Enjoy shooting your rifle cuz most of guys will be jealous of it.

Last edited:
Hi team!

Im quite new to to forum, but I would like to reenvigorate this thread.

I have a deposit down on an AXMC and have come to the conclusion that 300wm as a base caliber will suit me for now, with intentions of getting the .308 kit and 300nm... one day...

Im frantically pouring through the internet looking for information on getting the most out of the 300wm in terms of barrel length. The twist is set at 1 in 11 (factory).

I have had good experience so far with reloading Berger OTM 175 for my r700 .308.

Im working my way to the Mile shot and I enjoy hunting just as much.

Ive read great things about the 230 OTM, but when I use bergers stability calc, the 300wm factory twist doesnt help me out. And I lose BC (all in theory).

As for length, the 20" looks sexy and appealing for hunting. Studies into muzzle velocity and barrel length suggest the loss in barrel length yields a nearly negligible loss in MV.

I would appreciate any input to my situation.

Thanks for reading my post.

Hi team!

Im quite new to to forum, but I would like to reenvigorate this thread.

I have a deposit down on an AXMC and have come to the conclusion that 300wm as a base caliber will suit me for now, with intentions of getting the .308 kit and 300nm... one day...

Im frantically pouring through the internet looking for information on getting the most out of the 300wm in terms of barrel length. The twist is set at 1 in 11 (factory).

I have had good experience so far with reloading Berger OTM 175 for my r700 .308.

Im working my way to the Mile shot and I enjoy hunting just as much.

Ive read great things about the 230 OTM, but when I use bergers stability calc, the 300wm factory twist doesnt help me out. And I lose BC (all in theory).

As for length, the 20" looks sexy and appealing for hunting. Studies into muzzle velocity and barrel length suggest the loss in barrel length yields a nearly negligible loss in MV.

I would appreciate any input to my situation.

Thanks for reading my post.
Holy thread resurrection.
I would lean to at least 24", preferably 26", you are talking about 70+ grains of slow burning powder. You really need that extra length to maximize efficiency.
You can certainly go with a 20" barrel, but remember that not only will you suffer the velocity loss, but you'll have an increase in muzzle blast and flash signature. I don't believe the velocity loss is insubstantial from 26" to 20", the below linked article shows around 150FPS from 24 to 20, so, likely a 200 FPS loss from 26" to 20", which is very substantial.
Take a good look at the Hornady 212 grain offering. High BC and good quality.
https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/30...rrel-length-change-velocity-a-16-300-win-mag/

Reactions: AIAW
Holy thread resurrection.
I would lean to at least 24", preferably 26", you are talking about 70+ grains of slow burning powder. You really need that extra length to maximize efficiency.
You can certainly go with a 20" barrel, but remember that not only will you suffer the velocity loss, but you'll have an increase in muzzle blast and flash signature. I don't believe the velocity loss is insubstantial from 26" to 20", the below linked article shows around 150FPS from 24 to 20, so, likely a 200 FPS loss from 26" to 20", which is very substantial.
Take a good look at the Hornady 212 grain offering. High BC and good quality.
https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/30...rrel-length-change-velocity-a-16-300-win-mag/

Thanks fdkay, that artical really puts me back in my place over accepted loss of muzzle velocity. Especially with using a heavier projectile and slow powder.

Much appreciated.

You might be pleased to hear I picked up the 26” barrel. I’m now having exceptional success with Berger 210 hvld.

The 230’s can be incorporated one day with a 1:10 replacement barrel. That g7 is so appealing!