• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 factory match ammo

Evoar

Human zookeeper
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Utah
I am just curious what factory match ammo is prefered. I just purchased a new .308 and don't have the change to work up a load right now. My finger is itching and I want to shoot a box or two. I know every rifle is different and I need to work up a load, but in the meantime I wanna shoot it! It is a Remington 700 with the factory 26" varmint barrel.

Re: Best .308 factory match ammo

Black Hills, Federal Gold Medal Match, Corbon - take your pick.

Federal Gold Medal Match overall has been the best for me if you average all the rifles I've tried it in. I've also seen very good results with the remington match 175gr, and also the Hornady match 168gr.

I've been toying with playing with the new hornady 155gr palma match loads. Just haven't ordered any yet.

I've been a big fan of the HSM stuff. Federal seems to be the gold (both in name and price) standard. I hear a lot of love for black hills too, but its too hard to find.

FGMM, BH, Hornady in that order for me. However, I prefer handloading.

I have been told to try different types. So.... I bought some PRVI FGMM, and Hornady

(plenty of each, bwahahahaha)

Glass still not in, so no report yet. Going to be sending this out of an LTR. Will report back once I get some numbers.

I hear corbon is the shit. I have yet to try it. At 50.00 bucks a box for my 7wsm rounds. Its a bit pricey.

In my sps tactical, the Hornady 168gr Match slightly outshoots the Federal 168 GMM.

The benefit is that GMM costs me $34.89/box and the Hornady is only $24.95/box.

Can you really beat CorBon????? At $31 a box (when you buy a case), loaded in Lapua brass... It's the ticket...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you really beat CorBon????? At $31 a box (when you buy a case), loaded in Lapua brass... It's the ticket... </div></div>

JRose- Where do you get it? Sounds like a deal.

My last 700P liked the Winchester match vs the FGGM..
My current 700P likes LC better..

Both shot better with handloads-
every rifle is different, try a box
of each ( if you can find/afford it!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you really beat CorBon????? At $31 a box (when you buy a case), loaded in Lapua brass... It's the ticket... </div></div>

JRose- Where do you get it? Sounds like a deal. </div></div>

From a member who supports the sport...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1083769#Post1083769

Unfortunately you can't get Cor-Bon right this minute. Pete will have 308 up and running shortly. There has been a shortage of brass.

I cannot be beat in my GAP for manufactured match ammo. You will not find better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my sps tactical, the Hornady 168gr Match slightly outshoots the Federal 168 GMM.

The benefit is that GMM costs me $34.89/box and the Hornady is only $24.95/box. </div></div>

I have the same rifle and found the same result! The Remington, BHA and Winchester match shot very well too. All of which were in the $24.00- $27.00 / 20 rounds whereas I rarely see Fed GMMKs for les than $40.00, when I find them at all!

Reloading baby, there's your solution!

My SSG, my PSS, my 5R, and my M40 all like Lake City M118. Not even the LR. Just the plain M118 that is from the 60's in the white box with the Eagle.

I only own the 5R and the M40 presently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you really beat CorBon????? At $31 a box (when you buy a case), loaded in Lapua brass... It's the ticket... </div></div>

JRose- Where do you get it? Sounds like a deal. </div></div>

From a member who supports the sport...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1083769#Post1083769 </div></div>

Big thanks for that intel.

havent tried Corbon yet but I like Black HIlls National match.
I bought it in bulk about 2 years ago and im not even half way depleted yet! They are a lot easier to deal with when you want bulk. Our local store and myself went in on a big purchase. they bought a lot and I bought a lot. we had it all within a month.

Im on the look out for Corbon though...

Ive been on Fed GM 168 match for many years,Hornady and what little Black Hills I could get in GA, a local pawn shop bought out an estate that included over 100 boxes of Fed and Rem 168 match,dog damn if not getting better groups out of the Rem than the Fed!! Im shooting a ruger 77V that ROBAR reworked for me, 24" Gary Schneider match barrel 1-12 almost a one holer if Im ON

I never knew Corbon used Lapua brass for .308. For that reason alone I'd go with it over the FGMM.

FGM has been superior to any other match factory load i've tried in my weapons. However, a very close second is the lapua factory loaded ammo in both 155 scenars and 170 lock base. Blackhills has been my least favorite, mainly because I can't get it to shoot consistently. If you can get an "ok" deal on fgm, go that route first.

I love the Federal Gold Medal Match. I just sold my DPMS AR10. It grouped better than any other off the shelf ammo. My handloads with lapua brass and 168gr sierra BTHP are only slightly better. Its great stuff. Only problem now is I have 1000rds of FGMM left over with no .308 AR!!! Guess I'll have to go shopping.....Damn!!!

Try Hornady TAP if you're able to get it. Shoots like a dream out of any gun that I've thrown it down the tube of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just curious what factory match ammo is prefered. I just purchased a new .308 and don't have the change to work up a load right now. My finger is itching and I want to shoot a box or two. I know every rifle is different and I need to work up a load, but in the meantime I wanna shoot it! It is a Remington 700 with the factory 26" varmint barrel. </div></div>

If you can get your hands on some Australian Military F4 7.62 FMJ(not for hunting)you'll get a good feel for the rifle. Its gives good MOA and will allow you to get a few rounds down range to enjoy your rifle.

After you are pulling good groups swap to Winchester .308 BallisticSilvertips in 168gr.

The Winchester 168gr is a bit expensive but very accurate and will demolish the vitals on varmits.

Using your Remington 700 as a varmit rifle would be a pleasure with the 168gr,in .308; they have a good Point Blank Range to reach the Kill Zone and enough power to cause lots of damage with good shot placement.

Go for accuracy first as this will build your confidence and make you happy.

A bit of decent recoil protection should also be considered; don't under estimate the recoil of the 308 especially if you put lots of rounds down range in the first day or your groups will be poor.

Winchester .308 BallisticSilvertips in 168gr, serial number(SBST308A)would be what I'd purchase.

Regards

Buy the least expensive of the options for any decent rounds such as those previously listed for the first 100-200 you put through your new toy.

Take your time and clean *often* (every few rounds at first) focus more on making each shot count.

After you have put at least 100 rounds through it, then get a box of each of the decent options available to you and compare 5 round groups of each, cleaning in between.

While not all rounds are created equal, there is no single answer to the "Best" ammo. Many subtle differences can add up to make a particular round fire best in one gun while another round may fire best in another. After giving your gun a proper break-in find out what works best for *you*.

Federal GMM 168SMK or Lapua Scenar 155

There is also a good UK manufacturer called HPS Targetmaster doing well with their 155gr SMK's in competition right now. They offer machine and hand-loaded ammo in your choice of new or once fired brass. They were looking for US distribution but not sure if they got any yet?

LongShot94

Where did you source your ABT M118LR ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evoar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just curious what factory match ammo is prefered. I know every rifle is different... </div></div>

Right. There's your answer.

But if I could only choose one, it would be Fed Gold Medal Match. Why? Because it shoots great in my rifles. How did I find this out? I tried it, instead of wondering.

Good point.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongShot94</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i use ABT M118LR sniper ammo and its the cheapest by far and ive been able to get .5-.7 moa out of it. </div></div>

What does a box run?