• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 for $600'ish?

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Well my son wants a bolt action and is dying for a 308. If this will get him into guns and respect them versus behind a controller and video game then I'm all for it.

We went to Academy today, I was under the impression the Ruger Ranch was offered in 308 but it wasn't. He held the Ruger Predator and liked it but it was $499. I wanted to ask you guys if there was better options out there for around the same price.

The only thing it needs to be is around 6.5lbs, 20 inch barrel or less, and threaded (doesn't HAVE to be threaded but he wants a brake on it).

Reactions: KCode
This

And bed it into a pro varmint from here

Yea that isn't a bad idea. He would like a light weight and compact stock option. Does Boyds only offer wood?

I like how the Ruger American Gen 2 has a stock that can go down to 12" LOP. Something he can grow into.

But I really think for $600 there are probably better options than Ruger.

Yea that isn't a bad idea. He would like a light weight and compact stock option.
We went to Academy today, I was under the impression the Ruger Ranch was offered in 308 but it wasn't. He held the Ruger Predator and liked it but it was $499. I wanted to ask you guys if there was better options out there for around the same price.
Ruger American Compact 308 with 20in bbl and short LOP

Is there some kind of backstory why a kid wants a 16in x 308 x light stock etc?,
that's not usually considered 'pleasant' combination if you plan to shoot it alot.

I love my Rem 700 VS. Here is a picture of me and my baby on the 1000 yard line. I host a 385-10x the first time I ever shot the match. I am not that great of a shooter, but that gun along with a Leupold 6.5x20 scope made me one. Go with the Rem 700 VS in .308. You can use it for everything.

Ruger American Compact 308 with 20in bbl and short LOP

Is there some kind of backstory why a kid wants a 16in x 308 x light stock etc?,
that's not usually considered 'pleasant' combination if you plan to shoot it alot.

He wants to grow into it and isn't shy from recoil. I do plan to start out very light with bullets and light faster powder charge for a while until he says he wants more.

Well my son wants a bolt action and is dying for a 308. If this will get him into guns and respect them versus behind a controller and video game then I'm all for it.

The only thing it needs to be is around 6.5lbs, 20 inch barrel or less, and threaded (doesn't HAVE to be threaded but he wants a brake on it).
How about the new Ruger American Gen2 20" .308 Win.

It will put you over your budget by 200$, but I would go the Howa route with a KRG Bravo which has a LOP of 12.8 inches and can be lengthened to fit him as he gets older, and it has a host of add on options as well.

Reactions: thejeep and Modoc
I’ve got a ruger American go wild as a loaner rifle for newbie hunters and not well liked family members. It was sub $500 when purchased.. it’s a nice shooter but I’m just partial to the Rem 700 platform and can’t bring myself to love it.

Ruger predator in 6.5cm. ss 10x and rings for 600$ all in. Sub moa and on this day in the cold he hit 1000yds more than me with .308 185gr jugs and a rifle costing much more.
IMG_20231220_130714365_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Nothing wrong with the ruger American predator and it already threaded for brake or can and most will shoot sub moa and the new ruger American gen 2 has a lot better feel to it for under 600

Academy Sports will price match and Palmetto Arms had the Ruger listed at $399.95. Take them the post and see it they will do what they advertise.