• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 for running suppressed?

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I know it's been beaten to death, then beat some more.

BUT

I am trying to figure out what to get for running suppressed.

So I have been looking at rifles with adjustable gas blocks so that narrows it down to the SCAR 17, Armalite SASS, and LWRC REPR (whatever else?) What of these is going to be the "best"? I would be mainly shooting 0-500yds, I would like it to be somewhat portable, and being able to shoot with the gas system all the way off would be a huge plus. We can do allot of driving logging roads where targets of opportunity, coyotes and other vermin, can present. I had a bad experience with a ak47, I didn't clear the side of the truck and the spent case took out my drivers window.

I will be shooting some from from the bench so I would like accuracy to be a consideration. However MOA or slightly less would be acceptable.

Re: Best .308 for running suppressed?

I'd add the OBR to your list of options. I've seen a Surefire suppressed OBR fire hundreds of rounds with ZERO cleaning (and it was dirty to begin with) and not lose a beat with reliability or accuracy during a Magpul Dynamics PR1 course. I was impressed, and bought one myself. The 16" sounds like it would fill your needs.

Apples and oranges. The SCAR is a light military grade MBR. The other 2 are boat anchor civilian target guns.

Dont forget about POF, adjustable gas block with a piston, no gas in the bolt or in your face, and most are under MOA from the factory.

Maybe granny smiths to golden delicious. But not quite apples to oranges.

Yes they are different but they have allot of similarities also. I was thinking 18" but could do 16" just as easy. I thought OBR, actually PreadatORB, but was worried about over gassing. The same with the MWS I pulled it off the list because it didn't have a adjustable gas block. I would like at least MOA, which is where the SCAR may fall short. I would also like a gas block that could be shut off, which is where the REPR shines. So this is where I am stuck. If I had a extra $12k I would have one of each, but that's not in the cards right now.

I have had, and supressed, pretty much all the ar flavors in 5.56 and found the SCAR to be lesser of the other evils. So that's why the SCAR 17 made the list.

Here's the thing... I've run the OBR, MWS, PWS and a REPR sde by side suppressed... They all work! They all run fine with a can, they all shot ~ 1 MOA with or without the cans.. The Armalite is not really in the same class as these four but the price also reflects that. Really this choice is gonna come down to options and what you want it for.

OBR - Reliable, accurate, and lighter weight, I believe it has a 20 MOA rail built in too. Not too many other revolutionary ideas jut really well executed.

MWS - LMT has always been one of my favorites, Great gun, normal DI gun features but well put together. The MRP system is its standout feature. Runs really well suppressed and a awesome trigger right out of the box.

PWS - Great execution of the 7.62 AR platform. PWS does what it's known for, running hard. Good piston system... Good accuracy. Can't honestly remember if it had a adjustable gas block or not.

REPR - the biggest departure from the AR platform. Shoots great, has a few cool features, Adjustable gas block including an " off" position, ambi bolt release, and the really cool left side charging handle..

I personally went with the REPR because it fit with what I wanted to do but none of the guys I shot with had anything bad to say about thier choice. It comes down to what you want to do... There is no "best" rifle if it doesn't fit yor needs. Any of the brands at this price point will do just fine... Remember to check out Noveske as well. I believe they are putting their adj gas block on their 7.62s as well now.

Let us know what you decide!

I just picked up the SigSauer 716. I haven't had it out yet, but it seems to fit the criteria you listed and is about 50% less cost. Appears well thought out and is a typical representation of Sigs attention to detail. Piston driven, 4 position gas block. Takes P-mags and any other KAC pattern mag.
Hopefully it will perform as well as it looks.

Great question. I have a JP LRP-07 308 rifle that I plan to run a TBAC 30AB suppressor on. Anyone have any experience with the JP's suppressed or not? It does have the JP adjustable gas block and shoots very well. Curious of any others experience with them...

Yeti,
It's Einstein, not Einstine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeti,
It's Einstein, not Einstine! </div></div>

Thats funny shit! I don't care who you are...

Mws trigger is shit basically. Yes it's a two stage but a bad one. Plains and simple. Pull is a mile long and 5+#s. and the gun destroys brass. It shoots straight but has issues with irregular chambers. Tight fitting factory ammo having to be beaten out of the chamber...yada...yada...

I'll never buy any of LWRC GEAR because it's not worth what the are asking for it. Wow who ever thought a side charging handle could cost so much.

Go full build the way you want it. I would use as much Noveske as I could...switchblock, barrel, BCG, you name it.

I thought the switch block thing was a silly gimmick snakes oil waste of money. But I decided to try it for myself. Works perfectly on a 5.55 when using a m4-2008 can. Never a lick of gas in my face or in my eye. Hell...sometimes I forget I'm shooting with a suppressor and that I should be experiencing blowback and getting gassed. I see it as a MUST HAVE for any rifle you a shooting suppressed. The thing just plain works.

I also just picked a SIG 716 and I took it to the range last week and played with it. I installed my YHM can on it and it worked great in suppressor mode. I tried with gas shut shooting sub sonic loads. I had to tap the charging handle back to get it to eject the brass round, but I had to do the same with my DPMS also with the gas shut off. both worked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ericf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up the SigSauer 716. I haven't had it out yet, but it seems to fit the criteria you listed and is about 50% less cost. Appears well thought out and is a typical representation of Sigs attention to detail. Piston driven, 4 position gas block. Takes P-mags and any other KAC pattern mag.
Hopefully it will perform as well as it looks.
</div></div>

It's all personal preference. Any gas gun will be filthy as hell suppresseD. I'd recommend a coated bcg and bolt to make cleanup a bit easier.

I believe you can turn the POF off.

Rumor is GAP is going to offer an option to put a switchblock on their builds. Might want to check that option out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mws trigger is shit basically. Yes it's a two stage but a bad one. Plains and simple. Pull is a mile long and 5+#s. and the gun destroys brass. It shoots straight but has issues with irregular chambers. Tight fitting factory ammo having to be beaten out of the chamber...yada...yada...
</div></div>

I swapped the trigger spring in mine to the JP yellow trigger spring and weight dropped to 3lbs.

My only other experience was with a KAC M110 trigger and my MWS feels pretty similar to it now. It has about 10 ounces of pretravel and the rest of weight is the second stage. It had several pounds of pretravel weight previously.

I put a 7.1ounce MGI RRB in mine and it had a nice 4 foot ejection to 2 oclock position. I don't know if any of these will be easy on brass- the feed ramps of AR10 style guns will mark brass as will any AR.

I designed the RSTA suppressor for the AR10 type rifles. The LMT however has a .820" barrel diameter which is non standard so I had to turn mine to .775" (AR10 contour) to mount my RSTA flash suppressor. I knew that before I started the project, but didn't want to make the suppressor right for the LMT MWS at the expense of all the other platforms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I believe you can turn the POF off.</span>

Rumor is GAP is going to offer an option to put a switchblock on their builds. Might want to check that option out. </div></div>

Yes, the gas can be turned completely off on the POF rifles, allowing for operation as you would a bolt gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Rumor is GAP is going to offer an option to put a switchblock on their builds. Might want to check that option out. </div></div>

That, would be sweet. Especially if they offered an "off" like the POF.

Personally, I like direct impingement. Pros: less parts, quieter, more accuracy potential due to weight and nothing rattling around. Cons: it lets gas in the upper. But I suppose there are good, purpose built piston rifles that are better now, I just don't own 'em.

So the switchblock sounds like a GREAT idea, and this other place makes another part, W.A.R by Innovations LLC, but it sounds similar, and again, only for regular AR platforms I think. It has the advantage of an off switch I hear.

I've heard the combo of using the switchblock and the gas buster charging handle together really do a great job of keeping gas out of the face though. Personally, I don't have my SDN-6 yet. I'll let ya know how a lot of combos and calibres work in different AR's.

Later I plan on either a SCAR-17, my preferred one and the piston design eliminates the gas in the face; it isn't an AR modded for it, it was designed this way so I suspect less problems. Or maybe an LMT MWS, since UK took it on as an SDM rifle and I like weapons that are adopted by forces I respect. I also understand the MWS is the SAME rifle UK gets, just with extra junk engraved on the side of the UK rifle. I hear they both shoot very well, MOA on average. They both feel nice to me, with the MWS a little more familiar. But the SCAR is an FN and they never let me down, always well built and designed. I love KAC, but the M110 is just a wee bit overpriced for me at the moment ($30,000? Really?).

Either way, I'd like to use those gas busters on the ones I suppress the most, and I'd like to use switchblocks on a few, particularly the LMT M4 SOPMOD copy I made. They just seem like a good idea for a suppressed rifle. As for the gas busters, based on the cost, I may just take a few mil spec charging handles and have 'em inletted in the right spot and make my own.

Unless you need full power .308, say you are using sub sonic? Why not go with the .300BLK? Has the power of an AK, 7.62x39 and 7.62x35 both get around 2300fps average using supers, and using subs it slings 220gr. at 950-1050fps. AAC says they cycle fine with or without suppressors with supers, with suppressors and subs, and may or may not, depending, with subs and no suppressor. The AAC upper is a fine build too if you can get a new one for $930 or so I'd say get it. The gas block is press fit, they say, and seems to have rocksett to help hold it in place, along with two set screws. Very, uh, nearly permanent. The KAC URX2 is a great rail, KAC really upped the ante on that one. Overall, I don't think I could have built one as good as this one using similar parts for a better price and I already have all the gear to build my own. But I'd have used similar parts anyway, so why not go with the AAC and get the warranty and support? They also include handload info, rare in my experience.

I have the AAC Blackout hider/mounts on a 6.5G, an FAL and a .300BLK. I have their Brakeout on an M4, and I have another Blackout they sent by mistake and told me to just keep that will fit most .308's, so as soon as I have the suppressor (soon) I plan on writing up a bunch on here to show what the SDN-6 is capable of with different loads in different calibres and in different platforms.

Still, for super quiet, light, fairly accurate and close range (you said 500m or less) then the .300BLK may be what you need. I hear they get great accuracy (and based on who makes their barrels and that FF rail, no wonder). Really flexible too, I say if you can afford one go for it. In my research, subsonic .308 was iffy to reload and expensive to buy, and supersonic was still pretty loud, compared to .300BLK anyway.

Oh, and if you haven't bought the suppressor yet, AAC just came out with the 90t mounts and such, I'd go that route but I'm near the end of my wait (I hope --been waiting since early Jan.) and already have four or five mounts, so 51t for me all the way.

Good luck, sorry so long winded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, they are doing it. Noveske Switchblock and all. Wish I ordered my GAP with one of these. You can't go wrong with GAP.

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3204082 </div></div>

I did on my 6 Creedmoor upper. Another vote for the POF. Off is good, the suppressed setting plus the coated bolt will let you run longer without cleaning compared to a non coated BCG....but it's still real dirty. I still shoot my POF 308 suppressed 99% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I like direct impingement. Pros: less parts, quieter, more accuracy potential due to weight and nothing rattling around. Cons: it lets gas in the upper. But I suppose there are good, purpose built piston rifles that are better now, I just don't own 'em.

So the switchblock sounds like a GREAT idea, and this other place makes another part, W.A.R by Innovations LLC, but it sounds similar, and again, only for regular AR platforms I think. It has the advantage of an off switch I hear.

I've heard the combo of using the switchblock and the gas buster charging handle together really do a great job of keeping gas out of the face though. Personally, I don't have my SDN-6 yet. I'll let ya know how a lot of combos and calibres work in different AR's.

Later I plan on either a SCAR-17, my preferred one and the piston design eliminates the gas in the face; it isn't an AR modded for it, it was designed this way so I suspect less problems. Or maybe an LMT MWS, since UK took it on as an SDM rifle and I like weapons that are adopted by forces I respect. I also understand the MWS is the SAME rifle UK gets, just with extra junk engraved on the side of the UK rifle. I hear they both shoot very well, MOA on average. They both feel nice to me, with the MWS a little more familiar. But the SCAR is an FN and they never let me down, always well built and designed. I love KAC, but the M110 is just a wee bit overpriced for me at the moment ($30,000? Really?).

Either way, I'd like to use those gas busters on the ones I suppress the most, and I'd like to use switchblocks on a few, particularly the LMT M4 SOPMOD copy I made. They just seem like a good idea for a suppressed rifle. As for the gas busters, based on the cost, I may just take a few mil spec charging handles and have 'em inletted in the right spot and make my own.

Unless you need full power .308, say you are using sub sonic? Why not go with the .300BLK? Has the power of an AK, 7.62x39 and 7.62x35 both get around 2300fps average using supers, and using subs it slings 220gr. at 950-1050fps. AAC says they cycle fine with or without suppressors with supers, with suppressors and subs, and may or may not, depending, with subs and no suppressor. The AAC upper is a fine build too if you can get a new one for $930 or so I'd say get it. The gas block is press fit, they say, and seems to have rocksett to help hold it in place, along with two set screws. Very, uh, nearly permanent. The KAC URX2 is a great rail, KAC really upped the ante on that one. Overall, I don't think I could have built one as good as this one using similar parts for a better price and I already have all the gear to build my own. But I'd have used similar parts anyway, so why not go with the AAC and get the warranty and support? They also include handload info, rare in my experience.

I have the AAC Blackout hider/mounts on a 6.5G, an FAL and a .300BLK. I have their Brakeout on an M4, and I have another Blackout they sent by mistake and told me to just keep that will fit most .308's, so as soon as I have the suppressor (soon) I plan on writing up a bunch on here to show what the SDN-6 is capable of with different loads in different calibres and in different platforms.

Still, for super quiet, light, fairly accurate and close range (you said 500m or less) then the .300BLK may be what you need. I hear they get great accuracy (and based on who makes their barrels and that FF rail, no wonder). Really flexible too, I say if you can afford one go for it. In my research, subsonic .308 was iffy to reload and expensive to buy, and supersonic was still pretty loud, compared to .300BLK anyway.

Oh, and if you haven't bought the suppressor yet, AAC just came out with the 90t mounts and such, I'd go that route but I'm near the end of my wait (I hope --been waiting since early Jan.) and already have four or five mounts, so 51t for me all the way.

Good luck, sorry so long winded. </div></div>

I have a 300blk for subsonic fun with a cyclone and a N6. And God knows I don't need another rifle, but I want one. As far as DI vs piston goes, I don't have a preference. I have shot both and neither keep the gas out of your face. The SCAR was marginally better then the Colt 6920 with a h3 buffer and gas buster charging handle. I have hear the adjustable gas block was a improvement though.

As far as early jan. I have bad news. I just got my last stamp back after waiting for 7months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have a 300blk for subsonic fun with a cyclone and a N6. And God knows I don't need another rifle, but I want one. As far as DI vs piston goes, I don't have a preference. I have shot both and neither keep the gas out of your face. The SCAR was marginally better then the Colt 6920 with a h3 buffer and gas buster charging handle. I have hear the adjustable gas block was a improvement though.

As far as early jan. I have bad news. I just got my last stamp back after waiting for 7months. </div></div>

As far as gas in the face a Gas buster charging handle or RTV mod to an existing handle solved that problem years ago.

Screw the SCAR and Colt both overpriced and overhyped.

Another vote for GAP. They can put a Noveski switchblock or PRI adjustable block.

I bought a used GAP-10 and put the PRI on myself (be sure to get 'gen 2' which offers more adjustment and ability to turn down the gas) and it works great! Very simple to do.

Parker