• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 match ammo

jevan126

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
I have a lot of respect for sniper hide members. I would like to pick your brain. Of all .308 match ammo, which in your opinion is best ? EX. Southwest Ammo, Federal, Black Hills, Hornady, McCourt Munitions, Copper Creek and so on. This is Factory not handloads.

Re: Best .308 match ammo

Federal GMM always seemed to shoot best for me when I shot factory ammo. Thanks to the cost, I didn't shoot much of it, though. Of course, there's also the premium grade ammo like Lapua, Corbon, and ASYM, but I've never shot ammo that costs over $2 per round, so I'll leave that to someone else.

my Remington 700 5r loves Hornady 168g amax match and FGMM 168g. I can get .5moa or better at 100 yards

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course, there's also the premium grade ammo like Lapua, Corbon, and ASYM, but I've never shot ammo that costs over $2 per round, so I'll leave that to someone else. </div></div>

At $2 a round for .308 they better come with their own guidance system.

It depends on your rifle and barrel harmonics. I had a rifle that shot Federal the most accurately, and the least accurate in that rifle was Black Hills. Another rifle did something completely different. I suggest you get a few boxes of ammo from different brands, and try them in your rifle to see which is the most accurate for you.

Thanks, I now have 400 rounds of Southwest 175SMK, 250 Buffalo Bore Sniper Ammo and Hornady 168 gr A-max SS.

Don't over look Federal/AE 168 OTM. Its been very accurate / consistent in my pop guns out to around 800, on par with GMM at a good savings in cost. Its about all I use now for factory match ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best, regardless of cost? My vote would have to go to Lapua. </div></div>

and CorBon.

FLIP a coin and have at it.

175gr first.

I have always had good luck with FGMM and Hornady.

But, whenever I have a new rifle, I always try 3-4 different ammo makers, just to see if the gun likes one more than the others. I had a Savage 10FP that would do no better than 1.5 MOA with FGMM, but it loved the cheaper Fed/AE plinking round, did .5 MOA. At less than 1/2 the price of the FGMM, I was happily surprised.

Yeah, it all depends on the gun. My buddys' surgeon built by LA precision is a hammer but won't shoot 168 GMM for shit he says but is scary accurate with other loads while my rifle loves the gmm. Even if a gun is very well built doesn't mean it will "like" certain ammo. Good luck

From what I have seen. Rem308au let me use some of his southwest and it was a better then FGM by a pretty noticeable margin. The FGM I have been buying from Academy sports for $22/box has not been too impressive. It seems different from there.

I reload but for factory i have extensively shot both Federal Gold 175 and HSM 175gr and they have been identical in accuracy and speed over chorno and significantly cheaper.

Copper Creek is running a Labor Day sale right now (free shipping on order of $99 or more). Lots of guys seem to like them so I picked up a few boxes today. We'll see how they like my GAP!

buy a few boxes of each and find out which one your rifle likes best.
hope this helps.

I swear I tried almost all the "budget" rounds, and my savage loves the 168 TAP

Try a box of federal fusion. My gap loves it and its a great hunting round as well

Try some Hornady 168 AMAX. That stuff shoots atleast 1/2 MOA from every lot I have used and any of my .308s I have put it in.

Another load to try is the Hornady 178 BTHP. The standard loading. Not the Superformance. The 178 BTHP has a .530 BC and performs great at long range.

Both are about $26/20.

IMI ammunition

7.62mm x 51mm Long Range, Match, 175 Grain
Impressive and bit cheaper if you can find it.

Sin.

FGMM has worked extremely good for us for years.Only had one not so good lot about 5 years ago and that lot still grouped pretty good not one hole like normal was just a very jagged grouper

I'm pretty happy with my hand loads for my 12" twist 5 grove 24" FN pushing 175SMK's infront of about 44.5 grains of varget. I've been meaning to try the 155 scenars, but just to lazy to get around to loading some.

The best I have tried is the Talon Manufacturing 175 Gr
My Bolt gun Loves Federal 168 GMM
My Semi Loves Hornady 168 match
Neither Of my rifles shot well with 168 Gr Black Hills or 175 gr fed GMM.

I have not tried the SW, Hunting Shack or Lapua.