• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 projectile for accuracy and self defense

Luke2236

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2013
Done with all my 556 stash, starting to load 7.62. Get decent groups from 168 AMAX through several of my 308's, wondering if anyone has thoughts on a projectile that throws solid groups and is a good self defense choice that I should try.

I think with .308 anything you shoot someone with at home defense range is gonna be a show stopper. 168 AMAX is good but for more energy Berger 185 OTM are great and group excellently Most of these are designed to open up at velocities further down range.
Hornady 190 Sub-X and Lehigh Defense 194 Max Expansion may be better in subsonic if you consider that. I use them in .300 Blk but suppose .308 would work too.

Most LE snipers/ tactical shooters are issued some from of 168 Matchking ammunition, either match or tactical. Overkill unless you encounter body armor. Typical encounte range is 100yds or less.

Semi auto 308 for 2 legged critters, 155/168 ELDM. I shot a deer at 50yds with a 178 ELDM 2700 at the muzzle, it was devastating. Jacket separated and the bullet Grenaded inside the chest cavity with the lead core passing through, insides were mush, broken ribs and legs and a deer that didn’t take a step or kick. It ruined more meat than I wanted but it looks we are talking 2 legs then i dot think meat matters

but I don’t think there is a 30 caliber bullet I’d volunteer to get shot with either - fuck that