• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 308 twist?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking to pick up a 6.5CM and pull the barrel and throw on a 308, mainly running 150sst and 169smk.
    Would a 9 twist be better with a 18” barrel for velocity or a 10 twist?

Put everything you know in to this calculator and see what you need…seems for those bullets you could probably go for a slower twist….at least 10 maybe as much as even 12. Maybe try a gain twist if you want to get fancy.

10 is most versatile, but 11 or 12 would be fine for those projectiles. I shoot 208 eld-m's out of my 11.25 twist.

Reactions: beenjammin
    longer (read: heavier) bullets need faster twists to stabilize. What you mention is bread and butter 308 rounds. 1:10 is a fast twist for 308.
    1:11 and 1:12 would be fine for those bullets.

a 1:10 would be fine for the "lighter/faster bullet, more twist" concept that sensei lowlight often talks about.

When the time comes, my TRG will get a new 1:10 twist barrel from either Bartlein or Kreiger when the factory tube is toast. But with about 2500-3000 rounds down the tube so far, it will take some time.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
    If you are a right hand shooter you might want to try a left hand twist

Looking to pick up a 6.5CM and pull the barrel and throw on a 308, mainly running 150sst and 169smk.
    Would a 9 twist be better with a 18” barrel for velocity or a 10 twist?
    Twist for the most part does not effect velocity. This has been proven over and over again. I even have pressure and velocity data from ammunition pressure test barrels. No difference if your running a 8 twist or a 12 twist etc...

For the bullets you are using.....no need for anything faster than a 10 twist. Even a 12 twist will handle up to conventional jacketed bullets up to 190gr. A faster twist with crappy bullets/ammo will amplify any issues the ammo has and can have a negative impact on accuracy would be my main concern.

Earlier this year....I finally got a second barrel made for my AIAT. One barrel is in 6.5CM and the other one is in 308w. The 308 barrel is a 10 twist and finished at 20". Might cut it down to 18" as I pulled it off so I can thread it for my suppressor attachment which finally came 2 weeks ago. It's been a laser beam with the 10 twist. I'm not shooting anything heavier than a 175gr bullet.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

Reactions: SierraCJ5