• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best .308 Win Dies.

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I am looking for opinions on what you like or don't like about any brand dies for a .308. If this has been covered before I'm sorry. I have been reading the how to speed up your 308 reloading so I know about that set up. But what dies do you think are the best or the worst you have ever used and why? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Re: Best .308 Win Dies.

any competition type that got a micrometer top....Redding and RCBS do well

the bench rest weenies use them specific wilson dies and an arbor press to excellent results

I like the forester benchrest seater die best of all the seaters. Been happy with about all of the sizing dies but put the hornady and forester bushing dies at the
    top of my list. Reasons being bullet run out has been best with the forester seater
    and case headspace consistency and case life has been better with the bushing dies.

I have gotten good results with the RCBS Competition dies.The micrometer helps maintain the bullet seating setting.

redding is hard to beat if money is no object. but for about half the price rcbs comp seater works well for me. and i like the drop in bullet feed on the rcbs. just my 2 cents.

Redding is by far my first choice with RCBS dies coming in second. I've used just about every make of die and find these to be the best.

Yes, if you scroll back though a few pages, this topic was discussed a few weeks ago.
    I love the Redding and Hornady dies. I don't like the RCBS for the screw driver needed to change the seating depth. But they all work fine. If you buy once and cry once- go Redding.

I like Redding. It wasn't long before I tossed the Dillon dies off my XL650 in exchange for Redding.

Guys with the redding dies. Should you by the body die with it?

Redding Competition dies. But I've had standard RCBS dies make some great ammo for me also.

.308 win and i'm going to use it on my barrled by GA precision Remington 700

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys with the redding dies. Should you by the body die with it? </div></div>

I'd get the FL S die instead and just run it without a bushing. Gives you more options.

1. Redding
    2. Forster
    3. Hornady match new dimension (w/seating stem)
    4. RCBS

179. Lee

Haven't ever messed with the wilson stuff

Redding and Forster here. Redding seem to polish their dies better but Forster seem to provide equal results for less money. If buying a seater die as well, go with a micrometer seater (usually called competition die). It will save you time in the long run with seating depths.

Redding Type S bushing neck die, body die, comp seater. I trash the stock lock rings, and put Forster lock rings on all of 'em.

Forster Seaters are easily as good as the Redding Comp seaters, but I have no experience with thier sizing dies. With that said, if they are anything like the seaters, they are excellent stuff.

Ok another 2 questions? What size bushing? Or is it determined by bullet and cases used. What about the compitition shell holders? Are they a good idea?

The bushing will depend on your brass. Lapua/FC > 0.336", Hornady/Winchester > 0.332"

To determine the proper size, measure the neck OD of a loaded case and subract 0.002" for bare bullet and 0.003-0.004" for moly coated bullets.

The competition shell holders are for RCBS dies, they aren't for Forster or Redding dies. Just use a regular shell holder with those.

A buddy and I were comparing diffent dies and pressed a couple weeks back.

P1040811.jpg

Guess which die gave us the lowers runout? The cheap-ass Lee Collet die in the Co-Ax. The arbor with Wilson dies wasn't any better than Redding bushing dies in a regular press.

We had a Redding Big Boss there too.

P1040814.jpg

I don't know if it helps but I just bough a Redding T7 press

Forster BR FL sizers, because of the great expander design they have.

Forster BR seaters, with or without the micrometer heads. All the calibrated head does is make it seasier to change the depth a little faster, no mic seating head makes any better ammo. Reddings seater is a copy of the Forster and sells for a higher price with no added value.

Lee Collet Neck sizers, they make some very straight necks with absouluty no hassles about what size neck bushings to use.

Don't think any RCBS or Hornady dies are in the top tier. Maybe tied with Lyman and Lee for third place behind Forster and Redding. ??

Finally, it really doesn't seem to make any difference what press the dies get used in. (Okay, okay, never mind the howls!) I've READ many opinion based arguments on the web to the contrary. But I've NEVER SEEN anyone attempt to actually compare different presses, properly used, to prove better average loaded accuracy according to a concentricity gage used on the finished ammo.

Has anyone here ever seen such a comparision press test attempted...?

I actually own one of the same gauges that kombayotch uses.....I'm getting closer to knowing what the hell I'm doing
    wink.gif

Of course I've never "used" the gauge, but I'm half way there.

J

Actually, those all belong to my buddy. I use a Forster Case Inspector.

There has been a bit of discussion on that bullet pusher on FCSA. When it comes to bad runout on the .50's that particular unit tends to mess with your seated pressure based on how much you have to "push" the projo sideways. But all the other tools are top rate and do an excellent job. Don't know whether it will affect smaller calibers the same as a .50.

Agreed. If you fix your reloading process it's completely unnecessary. Although, it does a great job of measuring bullet runout.

I found the Neco gage to be horrible, btw (but not as bad as the RCBS unit). The Sinclair gage is the nicest and quickest to change between bullet and neck runout. The Forster is ok for the price and it also measures neck thickness. We were also comparing gages...

Is anyone out there aware of a retailer with RCBS .308 competition die sets in stock?

I bought the Redding s bushing full length size and comp seater tonight. Thanks again guys. I once again reading to much info. and couldn't make up my mind. Once again guys thanks for all the good information. But if you guys would like still post pros and cons of dies on here for all dies. I'm still green in the reloading field so it's great to know what to buy and what to stay away from. Thanks I appreciate it guys.

Thanks once again,
    Joe

So if you were to be limited to buying one, which one would it be?
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. If you fix your reloading process it's completely unnecessary. Although, it does a great job of measuring bullet runout.

I found the Neco gage to be horrible, btw (but not as bad as the RCBS unit). The Sinclair gage is the nicest and quickest to change between bullet and neck runout. The Forster is ok for the price and it also measures neck thickness. We were also comparing gages...
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The competition shell holders are for RCBS dies, they aren't for Forster or Redding dies. Just use a regular shell holder with those. </div></div>
    I believe he's referring to the <span style="font-style: italic">Redding Competition Shellholder Set</span>, not the extended shell holder for the RCBS Competition die. The Redding set provides a simple way for adjusting headspace. They're a big improvement over trial-and-error and simple to use.

jrb,
    I expect you'll enjoy your T-7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if you were to be limited to buying one, which one would it be?
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed. If you fix your reloading process it's completely unnecessary. Although, it does a great job of measuring bullet runout.

</div></div> </div></div>

After trying them side-by-side, I'd go with the Sinclair. Its smooth, easy to use and very fast to switch between neck and bullet runout.

One more quick question? On the seater die should you be able to run the bullet in with the micrometer setting when the case is all the way up?

Thanks again,
    Joe

And thanks again guys got my dies today. They are way nicer than any dies I already own. I have several different brands to Hornaday,RCBS, and some by CH. All I can say is very NICE. They cost a bit but Im extremely happy with my purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more quick question? On the seater die should you be able to run the bullet in with the micrometer setting when the case is all the way up?

Thanks again,
    Joe </div></div>

I wouldn't recommend it... you'll damage the bullet's point.

You can get really anal about all this. the needs of a 1000 yard bench rest shooter are a lot different than a guy with an iron sighted AR 10. I own probably every brand of die made, incuding a lot long gone (Herters', Lyman 310, Hollywood etc).
    My Tikka 595 will shoot groups like this with a Lee collet die set in a Lee turret press with Varget, 168 A Maxes and CCI 250s.... do I need more?

22250group.jpg

308tikka.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    My Tikka 595 will shoot groups like this with a Lee collet die set in a Lee turret press with Varget, 168 A Maxes and CCI 250s.... do I need more?
    </div></div>

You forgot to say "all day long"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get really anal about all this. the needs of a 1000 yard bench rest shooter are a lot different than a guy with an iron sighted AR 10. I own probably every brand of die made, incuding a lot long gone (Herters', Lyman 310, Hollywood etc).

22250group.jpg

308tikka.jpg

</div></div>

I guess it depends on what range that group was shot at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get really anal about all this. the needs of a 1000 yard bench rest shooter are a lot different than a guy with an iron sighted AR 10. I own probably every brand of die made, incuding a lot long gone (Herters', Lyman 310, Hollywood etc).

22250group.jpg

308tikka.jpg

</div></div>

i echo the other question, at what range was this shot? 50? 100? 200+? :)

if at 50 or 100 OK at 200 it appears to be a .25 moa rifle

I have gottena 3" group only 3 shots at 600 yds with a lawton 338 Lapua and its more than good enough for me ?? I use redding comp dies and either a single stage " 25 year ols RCBS" or a dillon with the powder station that only has a funnel and each load is weighed.

I am reading all these post as I would like to step up and get a better die set, learn more, and increase accuracy. Thanks for everyone that has put in their 2cents.

That being said I shot a .45 moa 3 rnd group at 200 yards last week outa a stock fn spr .308 20" bbl with my hand loaded 155grn palma, win cases, 4895, win primers ( 2833, 2840,2839 fps) off a bipod

These handloads were made on a used lee die set. that I paid $12 for 6 years ago.

smile.gif
    just thought I would share that since im such a rookie in this complex and opinionated world of shooting.

Jeremy

This thread is interesting... ive had my eyes on a redding comp set, but might have to check out forster based on the recomendations of some here