• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Best 338 can for the money

bward

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
Guys, I have never owned a suppressor but am ready to put one on my 338 lapua. I want a thread on type not one that I have to install a muzzle break first. I have looked at the YHM phantom some but have read mixed reviews. Any comments on the YHM are welcome and I would like to hear some new suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Best 338 can for the money

AAC Titan thread on stainless steel version would be my choice. It is significantly less money than the titanium version and the sound reduction, recoil reduction, and flash suppression are excellent.

I don't know how close you are to bryon at m3 but it may be worth calling him to see if you can demo a couple before laying down the cash. The function of a can at its roots is pretty simple. When going for a 338 can the costs can get ENORMOUS.

Is the AAC TiTAN QD really worth over $3k? Is it really 4 or 5 times better than the YHM? I mean, it certinally is lighter.

I went with a jaws can made by shark because I wanted to support my local SOT and David at shark is a really nice guy. I've shot tactical matches with guys shooting them, and they are impressively quiet but, they are also over $2k.

Figure out what aspect is important to you. Don't assume that b/c its made of titanium, it will be light. Look at the specs.

AAC also make a SS can that they claim is the most impressive design they have. Its the TITAN. SAS makes one that seems to be popular as well.

I very highly recommend the SAS. I have the stainless Pheonix 338 can. Very quite and handles recoil extremely well. My buddy says it is quiter than his 308 jet can

I had read a couple different places where people recommended screwing into the threads and no QD. I am new to the suppressor game so I am just going off of what I have read.

My new 338 can will be about 28 oz comes apart

Inconel and titanium

I will have a qd version

Bolt guns usually do not co
E unthreaded though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My new 338 can will be about 28 oz comes apart </div></div>

I wish I knew that.

Guys. Thanks for the suggestions. I am probably wanting to stay around the $1k mark though. What is the leading can in that price range?

I know it's not in your 1K range but I am going to highly recommend Shane's can from Thunder Beast. I've shot them, we sale them and I know how well they work.

Not having any experience with cans makes it hard for me to decide on one. Is a can like the Titan or the thunderbeast really twice as good as a YHM or SWR?

How much are you wanting to spend would narrow down your selection quite a bit.....

Ahh just saw you want to stay around 1g

I would say your more limited now at that price. Yankee Hill 338 Phantom QD is an awesome can for the money. Think they retail at like $700.00 I run one on my PGW Timberwolf. It's quiet and built like a tank.

I have a thundertrap and have only shot it about 20 rounds but am very happy. PG

I have the original Jaws and the newer model..soon will have the newest model to demo. I like the weight of the original two..helps with recoil and they shoot bug hole groups with the .338 LM and Hulk.
Shark is the top of the food chain when it come to suppressors..and I'm very serious about accuracy...sound suppression is next and weight follows. The .338 Jaws has it all and comes apart to be easily cleaned and serviced.

All are welcome to come test them out on a precision rifle of ours or your rig, which ever you prefer!

Thanks,

That Brevis looks identical to my Tornado Tech can.... Even down to the engraving.

i went to byron's shop they are made in oregon in a small shop. he's a gun engineering genius

If I recall correctly Delta P and the Tornado Tech are the same. Delta P designed them TT makes them under license

hmmm... i didn't know that. learn something new everyday

This is my TT on Quantico built M40A3:

1rq0qf.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is a can like the Titan or the thunderbeast really twice as good as a YHM or SWR? </div></div>

No.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MyGun1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I recall correctly Delta P and the Tornado Tech are the same. Delta P designed them TT makes them under license</div></div>

For a time Tornado licensed the 7.62 BREVIS which they marketed under the model name of "Stubby".

Delta P Design always has and continues to manufacture and market our own suppressors in-house. Delta P Design is presently the exclusive manufacture of our products.

We have just revamped the website. Keep an eye on the website for updates. We will offer our products when they are on the shelf in quantity.

The items shown on the site are ready to ship.

Recent manufacture BREVIS model suppressors incorporate inconel to enhance erosion resistance.

I stand corrected.
Byron you do indeed design and make very nice products..

Just figured out that Bryon at major malfunctions lives about 25 min away from me. I'm going to have him help me get set up. Thanks

If YHM's 338 can is built anything like their 762 can, then I would be all over it. You will not be disappointed.

I ordered one from Doug at SRT

http://www.srtarms.com/

He came highly recommended to me.

I'm waiting for my tax stamp.
Update: Just called Doug and my stamp came in on Saturday. Nine weeks from when I mailed it the forms. I did a trust.
I pick up my can in 2 days. I'm glad this thread reminded me to check with him.
<span style="color: #FF0000">Why do all these guys have the same problem? They never call the customer when the stamps arrive.</span>

Just an update. I decided to go with the thunderbeast. I went through Benson Firearms here in Oklahoma City. Brandon was extremely helpful and very well priced. I gave up on using Major Malfunctions after several voice mails and a message on silencer talk went unanswered. If anyone is thinking of getting a can and don't know who to go through I would highly recommend using Brandon Benson.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC Titan thread on stainless steel version would be my choice. It is significantly less money than the titanium version and the sound reduction, recoil reduction, and flash suppression are excellent. </div></div>

I just picked mine up at lunchtime today and can't wait to use it...hopefully this weekend
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not having any experience with cans makes it hard for me to decide on one. Is a can like the Titan or the thunderbeast really twice as good as a YHM or SWR? </div></div>

Yes, I have a 30p-1 on my 308 and have a bought a 338-p waiting on the transfer. They are unbeliveable. You will not be sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an update. I decided to go with the thunderbeast. I went through Benson Firearms here in Oklahoma City. Brandon was extremely helpful and very well priced. I gave up on using Major Malfunctions after several voice mails and a message on silencer talk went unanswered. If anyone is thinking of getting a can and don't know who to go through I would highly recommend using Brandon Benson.
</div></div>
Wise choice on the can.

There are a lot of choices and some things you need to figure out prior to picking one out....what are you planning to use it for? How many rounds will you shoot at a time and over the life of the can? Do you want something adaptable to other rifles? Do you want a quick detach or thread etc...

I built a thread-on can for my .338 and it works fantastic. I've fired about 400rds through it so far and ran 50rds through it fairly quickly. It gets pretty toasty after 5rds and 50 brought out the light brown color in the steel. I'm using mild steel as it doesn't work harden like some stainless, its much less costly for prototypes and it wears well. It is a bit heavy at 48oz but it appears there are some titanium cans out there which weigh 42oz so its not too far out. In my testing I've seen that an inconel blast baffle will make a big difference in the life of the can. The mild steel baffles are starting to peen at the rear where the blast of hot gas and debris hit them. This is causing the hole in the baffle to get smaller as it is mushroomed leaving a ring on the inside of the hole. Not a big deal as there is enough clearance but over time it will get worse....might go 1500rds without needing anything done but at some point it will require reaming. Stainless will probably be about the same, inconel should last a lot longer. I don't know about titanium.
The cost on Ti is a lot higher but it is 60% of the weight so even my 48oz can would be midrange weight in Ti.
Quick detach cans normally give away some of the volume and area in the can to allow the flash suppressor to slip inside. It just means that for the same weight and relative size you have less suppression. I'm sure the technology has made the sound difference very slight. Something to think about though.
My thread on can will fit not only the .338 barrel on my Desert Tactical SRS but will fit any of the barrels made for the gun as they all use the 3/4-24 thread. Thats a plus to me. The rifle is heavy as it is so the extra weight of the can isn't a problem. I don't carry it all over hill and dale. Some guys might want to though.
Lots of little details to consider before even getting to pricing....

Good luck
Frank