• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 338 for the price

Dan8385

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Clarksville TN
Ok I am looking at a couple of rifles havent decided on what to get but I want a 338. Just wondering whats best for reloading and price 338 Federal, 338 Ultra, 338 Lapua? I know the Lapua is the most expensive but seems to be easiet to get brass and bullets for. This gun is just to shoot at the range. So just looking for some imput here thanks

Re: Best 338 for the price

Unless you're shooting 1500 yards or more on a regular basis, get a 300 WSM or 300 win mag, or better yet, a 6/6.5/7mm.

.338 has a particular purpose...and if you don't have a use for it, it's just a waste.

Welcome to the Hide.

Can you tell us a bit more about your shooting history? How long is your range? Again, 338 LM is a diffrent animal compared to the 338 Fed. The 338 Ultra will bring you to the same arena of the 338 LM. Both are not cheap to shoot. Do you intend to shoot beyond 1K? Additional info would be helpful. If it's just a plinking gun at a relatively short range, why not a 308, or 243? cheaper to reload and shoot. Unless, it's a must have factor.

Ok appreciate the help. Yea I just have a 1500 yd range here I would like to be able to hit at no problem. I have been shooting for about a year now have a 308 already and its great looking for something with a bit more power now tho. Thanks for the input

Dan, welcome to the site.

it sounds like you are dead set on a 338 boomer.
here are some things to consider.
1. what is your budget? ((most important)
and i mean that if you are going with a 338 rig,you will need approx. 1500-5000 to get started depending on weather you go used or new gear.(Full custom build or Remington plattform)

2.Rifle-optics-brass-bullets-primers-reloading equipment and a good set of dies (Redding-Hrn ND or Forster.

you may be able to pick a very good second hand custom rifle in 338 LM or 338 Remington Ultra mag for around 1500-2500 built on a Rem.receiver.
You might want to consider looking around for one of the older Remington Sendero SF chambered in the 338 Ultra Mag.since Remington doesn't offer the Sendero in the 338 ultra mag anymore wich is a good plattform to start out with.just add a brake and a good trigger and your done.if you want to get fancy,have a gunsmith due an accuracy job (true action -lap bolt -retime the barrel-muzzle brake-bedding job and trigger work) and it should hold at least 1 moa with some careful reloading and good components.

as far as brass cost,consider this.per 100 count
this are just average prices.
338 Lapua $225
338 Lapua (Norma) $225
338 Lapua (PRVI) $125
338 Lapua (Hornady) $140
338 Rem.Ultra mag. $105
with that being said,the 338 Rem.Ultra would be the cheapist cartridge to consider.leaving out the Weatherby 338-378 at $330per 100.
There are also more expensive 338 wildcats outhere,but they can get very pricy.

you should be able to find a Remington Sendero 338 Ultra mag for around 800-1200 and a decent Leupold 6.5-20 LR or 8.5-25 LR used for around $800.the accuracy job around $400 + the muzzle brake.

Will

Awsome thanks for the help will appreciate it. Looking to spend 2 - 3 thousand. But I gotta do alot of research before I make this decision. Thanks again

The .338 ultra and the .338 lapua are close to the same velocity,while the .338 federal would not be any where close to those two.Keep in mind the .338 federal is only constructed around the .308 brass,which means,its only a .308 necked up to a .338.The ultra will be the cheaper route but I chose to get the Lapua because it sounds way cooler to tell somebody you have a lapua than it does to tell them you have a ultra. HEHEHE

You might also consider a 338-06. A bit more get up and go than the 338 Federal. Cheap widely available brass. Just neck up 30-06 to 338. No magnum bolt head. Just the easy to obtain long action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan8385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awsome thanks for the help will appreciate it. Looking to spend 2 - 3 thousand. But I gotta do alot of research before I make this decision. Thanks again </div></div>

For this price range, are you also including the scope, or just the stick? Here are a couple options:

1). A used custom. I have seen a few in the for sale section. They are usually a great way to get a custom package.
2). A Remington model that goes for about 1100 - 1200 dollars. Don't know how long the wait is. I think there is one for sale in the for sale section.

It's great that you have a 1500 yard range. You then definitely want the 338 LM. It costs a bit more to feed, but it's made for that kind of range. I love mine.

big fan of the 338 ultra randy selby out of cody wy built mine up on a 300 ultra case necked up this will give about 90k more case capacity and will excede the lapua in most cases down side is you will have a hard time with the magazine and a 250-300 gr bullet fitting in it because of the longer case

If you have a 1500 range go with the lapua. Your next question is factory or custom rifle. I have a TRG-42(338), and a TRG-22 and concider them to be the best factory rifles for the money. I set them both up with the same scopes and accesories, so the only difference is recoil. AI-AW is another factory rifle to concider, but alot more money. I was able to set them both up for under 4K each, so thats something to think about. Good luck.

Has any one compared the TRG-42 and the international arms AW 338. Is the AW338 worth the cost difference?