• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 45 cal AR platform?

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I will be buying a can for a H&K USP 45 Tactical and I'm considering buying or building an AR platform that could use the same suppressor. I would love to build an AR that fired a 45 cal 300 grain or even heavier bullet out of a AR-15 sized lower.( It would be lighter than carrying my AR-10's)...Subsonic would be a plus but I think It would be quiet enough if running a wet can and close to subsonic. I'm looking for a heavy grain AR thumper that will fit that 45 suppressor. If it would be easier to go to the AR-10 lower/ platform then add your advice. Thanks for your imput.....SmokeRolls

Re: Best 45 cal AR platform?

Probably be a custom build and you would have to figure out how to adapt M-3 or Thompson mags to it to make it viable. If you can come up with the dimentions of the magazine I'd call Jered Joplin at APA and let Dave sink his teeth into it. To quote him a day or three ago "I like making wierd stuff". How much it would cost to change the APA lower to fit the above mags is between you and them. I don't think the barrel would be an issue.

Just a thunk.

Cheers,

Doc

I don't know any specs on the 458 socom. Anybody got the info on this caliber and or type of lower it uses. I have heard about it but don't know much other than a meantion or two. Will it also work with the 45 cal suppressor? SmokeRolls

OlyArms makes a .45 ACP upper for the AR-15, but good luck getting one, and good luck getting mags for it. You could get one of those and mod it to fit a can I suppose. I have one of those uppers, and they're actually pretty accurate and fun to shoot.

I don't know of anyone else who makes a .45 ACP upper for the AR-15 currently, which is too bad because it's a great cartridge to be adapted for the AR-15 platform.

The 458 Socom works in the AR-15 platform and a standard mag doesn't require too much work. Just a little in the front. Corbon makes a 600g for it. It looks like a humming bird going down range.

It would seem that your search has ended
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

look at MGI militarys site . they sell a 45acp upper
I have their complete rifle it uses m-3 greasegun mags

I wonder about your options in attaching to the two different weapons. I'm thinking the base suppressor is going to have to be a wide opening. Then use two different adapters for each weapon. One screw on for the pistol then your AR with whatever choice you prefer it to have for getting the adpter on over a flash suppressor.

The SOCOM might produce too much gas for a standard 45 ACP can, but call the manufacturer to ask.

I'd bet that you don't need a wet can to drive a quiet machine like that. My dad gets enough suppresion from his dry can (his design, but nothing ground breaking) that our 44cal wilcat version of the 458 SOCOM produces a click from the firing pin falling and pffffffffffffftttt...WHACK from the flight of the bullet and subsequent impact.

SOCOM would be the solution for you to have an off the shelf type solution. You're going to run into issues keeping 45acp quiet from a 16" barrel without loading it very light with heavy bullets. You also can't make any 45ACP load carry the kind of thump that a 500 or 600 grain bullet from a 458 SOCOM would produce, our wildcat throws a 460 grain lead bullet at 1000fps when it is loaded down to subsonic, it's a heckuva thumper.

I'm building a straight pull (as in doesn't function in semiauto) 45acp upper right now. Going to slap a SWR Hems 2 on it. It's just a prototype.

Testing prototype mags and adapter that requires no changes to mag well as well. When it all comes together I'll post something up. So far it appears promising....

Hey thanks for all the imput.... I like the way the 458 SOCOM sounds... I will check that out.. If you all find anything out additional to this , please add... I will do some more checking on suppressors that will work with the socom as well as the USP tactical and if it just wont work effectively, then I'm okay with it... I do like the idea of using the AR mags with the socom, thats a definate plus towards the socom.and I will be handloading so ammo won't be an issue as long as I get some brass and grab some components..Thanks again...SmokeRolls