• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 6.5 creedmoor barrel length for someone who has know idea what they want or will do with it?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
I am going to build a 6.5 creedmoor AR10 before the bans come in next year. Well, lets assume the bans come in next year and I'm stuck with this single barrel.

If you really have no idea what you will use the gun for, what would be the safest length to get, assuming you will never be able to get another barrel again.

Would you go for a longer 24" just to play it safe? Or some other length?

Thanks for any advice here.

To sum this up I'm looking for the safest single barrel length to get, something where i won't regret when I realize I'm stuck with this barrel length. I do have access to desert long range shooting sometimes, so my ranges are unlimited length. But sometimes I'm limited to 600 yard ranges depending on where I'm living. I'd say I'm more stuck to 600 yard ranges, then the desert.

I was trying to decide between 18" and 22" on mine, and decided a 20" would be perfect. Then I bought an 18" barrel because I found a deal that was too good to pass up (Craddock Precision) and jumped on it. The difference in velocity is about 25 fps per inch for ~140 grain 6.5 bullets, so you don't lose a whole lot of performance by going a little shorter.

If you were dead set on shooting 1000+ yards regularly, then it would make sense to go for a 24"+ barrel. Since you're not sure, a 20" would give you a great all around rifle without making unwieldy away from a bench. My thinking was that if I wanted a dedicated long range rifle, I'd get a 26" bolt action. I think the sweet spot for AR pattern rifles is in the 14.5" to 20" range, depending on intended use.

I wouldn't go longer than 22", it's been proven over and over in several publications that 22" is the sweet spot. I can't speak with certainty for 6.5CM but with .308 and .223 20" barrels is where you will find your ultimate performance with weight, balance, barrel harmonics and velocity. Me personally I'd go 20" with a +1 gas styem.