• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 6mm cartridge*

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    About to build a new bolt gun on a Tenacity action. Looking at getting back into the 6mm family. I’ve got 223 and 25-338 covered. Regrettably sold my last 243 a few years back.

Some chambers I’m considering are:
    243 win
    6cm
    6xc

Looking to shoot 105-115’s and maybe even get into PRS matches at some point.

So what say the Hide?

Thanks
    SC338

title edit for the smart asses.

Last edited:
    6CM... and thats coming from someone who shoots 6XC

read up on 6xci and 6xcii and Norma brass vs something else, then decide if you want to take the risk of dealing with that crap.

im building another 6mm, and i still cant decide if i go 6XC where i have over a 1000 pieces of brass and expensive die set, or start over and go with 6CM

6CM... and thats coming from someone who shoots 6XC

read up on 6xci and 6xcii and Norma brass vs something else, then decide if you want to take the risk of dealing with that crap.

im building another 6mm, and i still cant decide if i go 6XC where i have over a 1000 pieces of brass and expensive die set, or start over and go with 6CM
    What’s the barrel life for the XC like? I’m not super familiar with it yet.

Last edited:
    i actualy dont know, im on my 3rd barrel, but they all got changed for other reasons.

im thinking they will be pretty close to eachother as they are both almost the same.

Reactions: sierracharlie338
    For what?

What is your major consideration.

I built a 6CM then a friend mentioned the barrel life being under 1,500 rounds so I jumped into 6BR. For what I am doing the 6BR is perfect.

About to build a new bolt gun on a Tenacity action. Looking at getting back into the 6mm family. I’ve got 223 and 25-338 covered. Regrettably sold my last 243 a few years back.

Some chambers I’m considering are:
    243 win
    6cm
    6xc

Looking to shoot 105-115’s and maybe even get into PRS matches at some point.

So what say the Hide?

Thanks
    SC338

Having owned/shot/built/competed with several 6 mm's I'd say for PRS stuff its a toss up between 6XC and 6CM. I currently shoot a 6BR and 6CM and love both but, the 6BR is a 600 yard gun. 1,000 if the winds not too bad or you can wait on your condition to roll back in. My 6CM runs 105's @ 3080 with ease. My XC was at 2,850/2,900 with 105/107's but shot in dots.

Both have good brass but I believe the CM has the slight edge for comps due to the extra velocity. In the hands of competent shooters the CM will be more forgiving on a bad wind call at extreme distance.

Pick one and run with it, no right/wrong decision here. Good luck

There is no one best 6mm.

There's compromises no matter which 6mm you pick. It's up to you as the end user to determine what compromises you are willing to make, and what performance features are most important to you.

My 6mm is a BRA. But that doesn't mean it's the best 6mm for you.

For what?

What is your major consideration.

I built a 6CM then a friend mentioned the barrel life being under 1,500 rounds so I jumped into 6BR. For what I am doing the 6BR is perfect.
    Plinking steel and paper, the occasional animal kill. Just looking for a good all around 6mm to keep in the stable.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    factory 6 creed
    reload and slow 6BR
    reload and fast 6XC
    reload and medium speed 6x47
    :)
    6 dasher or 6 bra.
    Let me throw this little tidbit in the mix: I want quality factory brass that i can purchase. I WILL NOT make brass. I just don't have time. The little bit of free time I do have I would prefer to be actually loading rounds or shooting, not having to make brass just to be able to reload.

Reactions: rsbhunter
    Having owned/shot/built/competed with several 6 mm's I'd say for PRS stuff its a toss up between 6XC and 6CM. I currently shoot a 6BR and 6CM and love both but, the 6BR is a 600 yard gun. 1,000 if the winds not too bad or you can wait on your condition to roll back in. My 6CM runs 105's @ 3080 with ease. My XC was at 2,850/2,900 with 105/107's but shot in dots.

Both have good brass but I believe the CM has the slight edge for comps due to the extra velocity. In the hands of competent shooters the CM will be more forgiving on a bad wind call at extreme distance.

Pick one and run with it, no right/wrong decision here. Good luck

Whats the barrel length on your 6CM?

I love the thought of burning out a barrel. How many trips to the range and how many rounds do you shoot each time? I rely don’t want a reply, just food for thought for people with limited time............

Silly me and my 6x47, these days there's only one 6mm worth a damn:

tenor.gif

So no love for the .243? Is it not the latest greatest that holds it back? Seems if you want a cheap to purchase and shoot it would be hands down the best......but I'm not a expert.

So no love for the .243? Is it not the latest greatest that holds it back? Seems if you want a cheap to purchase and shoot it would be hands down the best......but I'm not a expert.
    I love the 243 as it was the first centerfire I grew up shooting. Not looking for cheap just well rounded. I handload so don’t need factory ammo. Here’s my last 243 I dumbly sold
    1581073609403.jpeg

Great link thank you!

Since you like your 243s so much, I figured the 6 Comp Match would be right up your alley.

If one reloads, there's zero reason to pick the 6 Creedmoor over the 6 Comp Match. None. And lots of reasons to pick the Comp Match over the Creedmoor.

Since you like your 243s so much, I figured the 6 Comp Match would be right up your alley.

If one reloads, there's zero reason to pick the 6 Creedmoor over the 6 Comp Match. None. And lots of reasons to pick the Comp Match over the Creedmoor.

One big reason, fireforming brass. And save the "well it shoots the fireforming loads accurately" BS as you are not shooting a load that you will eventually shoot. My two team mates went that route back in 2004 when we started shooting 6mm and I went .243 and they regretted it. They hated fireforming and they also were hunting for their brass every match.

Also OP the whole 1500 barrel life on the 6 Creed is from people hot rodding them. Shoot them around 3000fps and you get more.

Why not .243? The .243 uses more powder for the same speed as a 6cm and xc.

It is pretty well established that the case designs of the 6cm, xc, x47, GT, Dasher, BRA, and BR are more efficient, easier to load for, and inherently more accurate. The smaller the case, the better it gets, but you lose velocity and distance.

From gun to gun, 6xc across many of mine and friends shoots pretty much the same with h4350, 115 dtacs and norma brass. The powder charge might vary .3 grains from a known load and give almost identical speeds from different lots of powder, brass, primers, and barrels.

I hear the BR is even easier and more consistent.

I love the 243 as it was the first centerfire I grew up shooting. Not looking for cheap just well rounded. I handload so don’t need factory ammo. Here’s my last 243 I dumbly sold
    View attachment 7243679
    I was just questioning in general. I didnt know the advantage of one over the other. I have thr first rifle I was given by my dad. It's a. 243 and has served me well. But I only hunt and punch holes in paper......and not the completion type. I am all for whatever suits your needs best or if you just like it because you do. I enjoy the education I get here for free from everyone here. This is the free education for all that libs can give U.S......but won't

Pick one and shoot it. I currently shoot a 6x47 with 105's and it's a hammer. In my opinion you can't have enough 6mm's. If I had the money right now I'd build a 6br just for shit's and giggles.

I think we've talked about that GAP PPR elswhere. I know you didn't love the barrel... I say get the 6cm. Shoot it out then barrel however ya want it.

I think we've talked about that GAP PPR elswhere. I know you didn't love the barrel... I say get the 6cm. Shoot it out then barrel however ya want it.
    Hmmmmm seems we’ve crossed paths before.

Honestly if I had 2k to drop I’d buy the GAP in a heartbeat. I don’t and I already have an action so gonna build what tickles my itch just looking for suggestions on anything I may be over looking. Besides I got a lot of money tied up in a couple of other builds ?

If you like the .243 and only will be loading then it also would be a good choice. The .243 was the cartridge that brought the 6mm into the "PRS" style matches. It has good brass and will send the bullets out the same speeds as others listed. Get it properly chambered and a barrel with a fast twist and it will hang with any of them.

If you like the .243 and only will be loading then it also would be a good choice. The .243 was the cartridge that brought the 6mm into the "PRS" style matches. It has good brass and will send the bullets out the same speeds as others listed. Get it properly chambered and a barrel with a fast twist and it will hang with any of them.
    Alright Rob I know you’ve been around a while and a little of your background with shooting.....

243 or 6x47L???

Easy. .243. Know too many people who loved the 6.5x47 and went to the 6x47 and hated it. Not as easy to load for from first hand reports of people I know. Enough to keep me away from it over the years. I like easy.

Easy. .243. Know too many people who loved the 6.5x47 and went to the 6x47 and hated it. Not as easy to load for from first hand reports of people I know. Enough to keep me away from it over the years. I like easy.

just to toss this out I’ve had my 6CMs Bartlein go in 800 rounds.. fire-cracked to crap. @Dthomas3523 and a few others around the same

just not something close to the planned 1500. To get really good do you have to send a lot of stuff down range.. not sure the 6CM is a good choice for that guy and not for me.

just to toss this out I’ve had my 6CMs Bartlein go in 800 rounds.. fire-cracked to crap. @Dthomas3523 and a few others around the same

just not something close to the planned 1500. To get really good do you have to send a lot of stuff down range.. not sure the 6CM is a good choice for that guy and not for me.

Not sure what happened to your barrels. My Bartlein 6 Creed is at about 950 now and still sub half moa. My old .243 was at 1880 when I sold it and the same for accuracy. That .243 was only run at matches and when not all strings were 10 rounds in 90 seconds. Shot many 20 round stages and some were timed out in 60 seconds. I don't kill my 6mm with speed. Keep it in the 3000fps area. Great ballistics and barrel life.

If you want great barrel life then no 6mm is the answer. Get a .308. ;)

I’ve had some make it to 13-1500 and others go at 900 rnds.

I like 6cm a lot, but it’s a crapshoot on barrel life.

Here’s how one shot after 900 rnds. Firecracking over halfway up the barrel or more. Only factory hornady 108 through the barrel.

This is at 100yds.

B7125EF6-8D97-448E-9A69-3D5F069EFE97.jpeg