• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 6mm Creedmoor option for around $1500

Ranger Bob

SFC, USA, Ret.
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Sanger, Texas
rangermadeknives.com
I've been kicking around the idea of trying out a 6mm Creedmoor. Really for no other reason than, I don't have one. I want to get the best out of it for the money and I'd prefer to stay around $1500.

The option that appeals to me most is finding a Tikka T3x donor and putting a prefit on it. I ran the numbers and should be able to put it in a KRG Bravo with a Timney 2-stage for right around my $1500 price point. I have CTR mags that I could share from my 6.5cm CTR so that helps.

The Bergara B14 HMR is another option I'm considering. I've never owned a Bergara so I'd like to try one. I'm a 2-stage trigger guy so, there would still be money to spend to get it range ready.

Then there's the production guns from the custom shops! I really like the Seekins Havak Bravo on paper. I don't know what lead times are on those things but, I'm probably not in a hurry. The problem with most of the semi-production customs is they like the TriggerTech triggers. It's not a big deal but, at the price, it is a consideration.

Aaand...just to muddy the waters a bit more, I saw that Ruger had quietly released a new 6creed RPR with a 26" barrel. I used to really want a RPR but, I don't know, I might be over that now.

Anyway...thoughts are appreciated.

Bob

Check out ultimatum’s new offering based on tikka footprint.

Barreled action + triggertech OEM trigger = $1k.

Toss it in a krg bravo and you’ve got a sub $1500 rig before buying optics.

Reactions: King_beardsly

I had to check this out for myself to believe it.

Not bad at all, very difficult to say no to that. Custom barreled action with trigger for 1000 is tough to beat.

I saw this in the SHOT 2020 reports. I didn't realize they had begun the presale. It is (probably) not the best option for me though that doesn't mean I can't be convinced. Downsides for me on this BA are the TriggerTech trigger and the 24" barrel being the only option. The other thing I just don't know is whether it can use CTR mags in a CTR Bravo chassis. I sent them a message to ask since I prefer the CTR mags over the AI pattern. Last question I would have about these would be importing. Are there any issues buying from Canada?

Bob

Just got confirmation from Ultimatum that the Defacto will NOT work with CTR mags. I think instead of saying it is "based" on the Tikka T3, they should say it is "inspired" by it. Seems like a mess to me.

Bob

When I looked earlier this week Seekins had the 6mm Bravo's in stock.

Must resist temptation.......

My PROOF Tikka pre-fit in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots really well. Kind of fun putting the barrel on yourself too. You will need an action wrench for Tikka and a barrel vice + torque wrench to go that route.

The Seekins is hard to beat too seemingly.

I saw this in the SHOT 2020 reports. I didn't realize they had begun the presale. It is (probably) not the best option for me though that doesn't mean I can't be convinced. Downsides for me on this BA are the TriggerTech trigger and the 24" barrel being the only option. The other thing I just don't know is whether it can use CTR mags in a CTR Bravo chassis. I sent them a message to ask since I prefer the CTR mags over the AI pattern. Last question I would have about these would be importing. Are there any issues buying from Canada?

Bob
Whats wrong with: The trigger? A 24" bbl?

I'm not a fan of single stage triggers on precision rifles. I think the 24" barrel is shorting me about 40-60fps. I may not have owned a 6creed but, I've researched the hell out of them and 26" seems to be the optimal length.

Bob
Well, this is a killer deal, so the trigger is replaceable (sell the orignal to offset cost). 40-60 fps is nothing. At a cost of $200-$400, I wouldnt let that be a disqualifying factor.

My PROOF Tikka pre-fit in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots really well. Kind of fun putting the barrel on yourself too. You will need an action wrench for Tikka and a barrel vice + torque wrench to go that route.

The Seekins is hard to beat too seemingly.

Is yours a fixed or variable shoulder prefit? I'm looking at Preferred Barrel Blanks; they offer both for Tikka T3.

Bob

Well, this is a killer deal, so the trigger is replaceable (sell the orignal to offset cost). 40-60 fps is nothing. At a cost of $200-$400, I wouldnt let that be a disqualifying factor.

You're right, it is a killer deal but, I'm just not feeling it. Adding in the inability to use CTR mags it's just too many little things that don't work for me. For the same money, I could build from a donor T3 action and have exactly what I want and it will shoot at least as good.

Bob

Reactions: CaptNemo
You're right, it is a killer deal but, I'm just not feeling it. Adding in the inability to use CTR mags it's just too many little things that don't work for me. For the same money, I could build from a donor T3 action and have exactly what I want and it will shoot at least as good.

Bob
goood thing theres plenty of options out there haha

Reactions: Ranger Bob
A shouldered pre-fit from proof. They do steel and carbon Pre-fits, carbon is more spendy.

Yeah, I've checked them out on Stocky's before. I'm really leaning toward ordering a prefit. I have a couple m700's that I could swap out a barrel but, now that I'm becoming a Tikka fanboy it's hard to consider anything else.

Bob

Looks like Bergara is discontinuing the 6mm C B-14 HMR for 2020. Seen them online for around $850 lately. You can still get a Premier line model for 2020. Wondering if Tikka will come out with a Varmint or CTR in 6MM? We'll see in 2 weeks.

Looks like Bergara is discontinuing the 6mm C B-14 HMR for 2020. Seen them online for around $850 lately. You can still get a Premier line model for 2020. Wondering if Tikka will come out with a Varmint or CTR in 6MM? We'll see in 2 weeks.

I'm very close to ordering a prefit barrel and a T3x Lite for a donor action. I figure selling a new takeoff 6.5cm barrel in the exchange could recoup some of the cost. The only thing holding me back from ordering is the announcement which, is probably a stupid reason. Building the gun I want would be more fun and most likely result in a better shooter. Not to mention, the announcement will probably be something completely different.

Bob

I'm a big fan of my Havak 6 Creed. Excellent rifle for the money, although slightly outside the budget.

This is where I picked up mine. Looks like they still have a few left.

IMG_6548 2.jpg

I'm a big fan of my Havak 6 Creed. Excellent rifle for the money, although slightly outside the budget.

This is where I picked up mine. Looks like they still have a few left.

View attachment 7243407
That's a great looking rifle! Care to comment on group size?

Bob

Reactions: waspocrew
That's a great looking rifle! Care to comment on group size?

Bob

Thanks! Shoots great, finally took it out to the range a few weeks back. After 3 shots to get the scope close to zero, I fired these two consecutive 4 shot groups (100 yards) with Hornady factory 108 ELDM ammo. Not bad for only having 11 rounds down the barrel.

0B5CEABF-5A91-4A7F-A240-A189B207D9DA.jpeg

15ECE8D2-DA1A-404A-892D-ACB7B4661A0A.jpeg

4456665D-56E5-49FC-816A-9B86CF6ACE82.jpeg

D2937850-88A6-4C6A-A4D4-8507A7B87069.jpeg

The route I suggest to many that want to be competitive on a sensible budget is to find the cheapest RPR you can for circa 700 bucks, pick up a Proof Steel Pre-Fit of your flavor from Stockeys for 392 shipped, a Seekins rail for 135, a Gen 3 APA Brake for 175, and a couple KAC mags for 150. You can recoup at least 200 bucks from take off parts pending original rifle condition. I've seen this recipe perform very well over and over again and you won't be missing much from setups that cost 2x as much. At that point it's the Indian, not the Arrow.

The new Remington 700 PCR enhanced is chambered in 6 creedmoor as well.

Remington may be late to the game compared to others but they are trying.
Just from online videos it looks like a great rifle.

Reactions: Thecelt
Here's what I'm thinking. These prices don't include tax or shipping but, are otherwise pretty accurate. I would install the prefit myself so there would be other costs associated with that. I don't have a barrel vise or action wrench yet and would need go/no-go gages. Honestly, I can afford to buy something twice the price but, this is more about the experience/enjoyment/challenge. I really like the idea of what this rifle could be for the total investment.

Tikka T3X Lite 6.5cm 611.00
Timney 2-Stage Trigger 190.00
KRG Bravo CTR Stock 369.00
PBB Prefit Barrel 445.00
Takeoff rail from CTR 0.00
Sell T3x Lite Barrel -100.00
Sell T3x Lite stock & BM -50.00
Total "1,465.00"

Bob

Buy mpa pmr rifle online. Sell the hybrid chassis for $750 purchase a Bravo for $350. Sell Timney single stage trigger for $100 purchase a 2 stage of your choice. Now you have a $1500 rifle that is a custom action and barrel. I would not get hung up on tikka ctr mags. Magpul mdt and many others are making very nice aics mags.

Buy mpa pmr rifle online. Sell the hybrid chassis for $750 purchase a Bravo for $350. Sell Timney single stage trigger for $100 purchase a 2 stage of your choice. Now you have a $1500 rifle that is a custom action and barrel. I would not get hung up on tikka ctr mags. Magpul mdt and many others are making very nice aics mags.

That would be a cool way to go for sure. You've obviously put some thought into that. It's not about the quality of the ai mags; I'm just a fan of the double stack mags. Having 10 rounds in a short mag like the CTR's is just nice. I'm on the Tikka train for this one!

Bob

Hmmm...as far as I can tell, those mags are not compatible with the MPA/Curtis 3-lug setup. Is this a setup you've tried?

Bob
lots of people run MDTs in a curtis/terminus (notice they list the BR mags as the ones with issues in 3 lugs)

lots of people run MDTs in a curtis/terminus (notice they list the BR mags as the ones with issues in 3 lugs)

Okay, I stand corrected. I thought it was the double stack mags that the note was referencing. That does make the MPA an interesting option. Can anyone tell me if those MDT mags work with the Seekins Havak Bravo as well?

I do feel a bit like a Tikka fanboy but, I'm not completely closed off to other things that would meet my needs/wants.

Bob

Okay, I stand corrected. I thought it was the double stack mags that the note was referencing. That does make the MPA an interesting option. Can anyone tell me if those MDT mags work with the Seekins Havak Bravo as well?

I do feel a bit like a Tikka fanboy but, I'm not completely closed off to other things that would meet my needs/wants.

Bob
no reason they shouldnt. theyre AICS mags