• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 7.62 OBR for me?

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
This is what I would like to use the rifle for... I'm not looking for a rifle that will handle 0-1000 yards. I have ar-15s that I would use for 0-200. And a 14.5 lb 6.5 GAP bolt gun for 800-1200. So I'm thinking that a ligher weight 7.62 gas gun for shooting primarly 200-800 yards would round things off. I do plan to deer hunt with it so I would like to keep it around 12lbs. This eliminates the PRS stock for weight and no need for a 20" barrel. I will have a 7.62 Surefire SOCOM and plan to shoot it mostly suppressed. I've narrowed it down to an OBR but I'm undecided on 16" or 18" barrel. I don't plan on this being a CQB type of rifle so I didn't see a need for a 16" barrel. However even at 1000 yards there doesn't seem to be much difference between those two. So for me, what do you guys think 16" or 18"?

18 in DPMS SASS is what your looking or to fill the niche. Is sub MOA accurate a good trigger and fluted barrel to cut down on weight

16".... Keep it short and your can will most likely add another 20 fps if your trying to chase the MV dragon.... no reason to go with the 18" IMO. Many (including myself) have been successful with 16" gas guns at extended ranges. Stick with the 175 SMK's or 178 AMAX's and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
No need to look any further than a JP Enterprise LRP-07. It is light for a .308 mine weighs with scope and full magazine 10.5lbs and it is deadly accurate, not to mention the quality is second to no one.

I just checked on the Larue site and the PredatOBR tab is updated with current pics. There is no "preorder, no release date" statement on the order page any more. If these things ever get made you could get a predatOBR with a 16" and 18" barrel, kick the tires on both and sell the barrel you don't want.

16". The only reason I would even consider the 18" is the rifle length gas, but I don't think its enough of a benefit to make 18" a good choice. 16" is ideal with a suppressor and plenty long to go the distances you want to shoot.

JP LRP-07 is what I would go with. You have the option of different stocks so you wouldn't have to use the PRS stock. For roughly the same cost the JP LRP-07 is a more accurate rifle and I believe a far shorter wait

I have a POF that I've been very happy with but realistically, you'll be happy with any of the top tier rifles such as JP, POF, LMT, GAP, KAC, Noveske, etc.

16 gives plenty of MV for deer and pigs, plus making it slightly easier to maneuver in and out of a tree-stand or truck.

Most of your shots will be under 75 yards on live game anyway as you already know.

16". The only reason I would even consider the 18" is the rifle length gas, but I don't think its enough of a benefit to make 18" a good choice. 16" is ideal with a suppressor and plenty long to go the distances you want to shoot.

I second this. I actually talked to Mark Fingar about this and he said that he felt the difference in the gas systems between the 16" and 18" were so minute, that they didn't even push it as a selling point for their rifles.

OP, I actually had both an 18" and a 16" OBR 7.62, but my local range only goes out to 200 yards, so I can't really offer any real world advice on your situation.

Falsecrack you could actually have some advice....how was the balance between the 16" and 18"? Was the 18" front heavy? What one did you like better the 16" or 18"?

I was not aware that the PredatOBR could change barrels easily. This is an interesting option.

Falsecrack you could actually have some advice....how was the balance between the 16" and 18"? Was the 18" front heavy? What one did you like better the 16" or 18"?

I was not aware that the PredatOBR could change barrels easily. This is an interesting option.

The balance question (comparatively) is a little tough, due to the fact that my 16" had a CTR and my 18" had an A2 stock on it. But no, I didn't find the 18" to be front heavy. As to which I preferred? I kept the 16" and sold the 18" (to buy a SR 25 ECC). I might've thought differently had I had the range to make use of the added velocity of the 18", but I don't. However, one kind of cool thing that the 18" has over the 16", is that the 18" had the gas selector switch outside of the rail.

The tOBR might be your ticket (if you want to keep your rig under 12lbs...as the OBR is around 10lbs unloaded), and I wasn't aware that you could swap barrels so easily either. I generally stay off of the LaRue website these days, as it tends to lighten my wallet. ;^)

Good luck brother.

S002wjh - when I called LaRue they said at the very earliest would be 1 year for the OBR, maybe more. When I asked how much more they didn't know.

S002wjh - when I called LaRue they said at the very earliest would be 1 year for the OBR, maybe more. When I asked how much more they didn't know.

omg. every think about gap10? i think they are bit shorter time, lmt, etc. all these are accurate, and i think in similar weight.

omg. every think about gap10? i think they are bit shorter time, lmt, etc. all these are accurate, and i think in similar weight.

Yea, it was down to a GAP10 and OBR. The OBR won me over because of it's reputation for running well suppressed(dirty) and digesting a wide variety of ammunition. I'm going to be waiting 9 more months for my can, so I'm used to waiting. I try not to let build time affect my decision

I am in day two of a Presicion Rifle class right now. I have had my 16" OBR since late Nov 2012 and prior to yesterday, I had only fired 40 rounds throuh it at paper at 100y. this afternoon, I was getting hits on target at 1066y with SW Ammo M118LR. I am very happy with the barrel length I chose and would not want to go longer with it.

My father has an OBR paid for on order with Larue coming up on a year now. He placed his order six months before all of the Newton mania. They sent him a lower and said they'll send the rest when it's done.

JP is at about a 10 week back order. I'd take a JP twice on Sundays over an OBR.

Not that I wouldn't love to have an OBR as well mind you, fine rifle.....I just don't think it's in the same class as a JP.

16" is the only option. I've been running my 16" mws since mid 2010 and never felt like I needed a longer 308 barrel. If you are mainly looking to shoot between 2-800 yds I see no reason to go longer.

Also, if you look carefully at the updated Larue Predatobr pics they all seem to be running the same length gas system. I ordered the 18" for a smoother gas system than the 16" but it looks like a moot point now.

Sorry for the misinformation. It looks like the 18" does have a longer gas system. For recoil impulse, 18" is my choice. If mobility is your goal then stay with 16".

Last edited:
Looks like everyone seems to be split 50/50. I guess that makes sense because I don't think that it will really matter much either way, I'm not going to loose much maneuverability with the 18" and I'm not going to loose that much velocity with the 16". I did find a post where LaRue posted the velocity of M118LR out of a 16" OBR was 2410fps and the 18" OBR was 2503fps. I don't know if this is the best way to compare bullets or calibers but I like to look what will happen if I read the wind wrong by 3 mph. This could be from a gust of wind or just reading the wind wrong. So if I misread the wind by 3 mph, using a 175 SMK, I would get 1" less drift at 800 yards, at 1000 and 1200 yards I would get about 2" less drift. That's why I'm still leaning towards the 18".

I also get 2,460 fps out of my LMTLM8MWS with 16 SS barrel and with mk316 mod o or m118 lr, it is supersonic at 950 yds with 525 ft-lbs energy. Personally; I have no need for more than a 16 with good ammo. I agree with killshot that you can't go wrong with the names he mentioned. I do have a GAP10 on order as well though.